Wed May 21 2008 00:11:37

eBay NARUs Head of PESA Australia?

A reader wrote in to report that one of eBay Australia's biggest seller, philsales1, was NARU (suspended). Phil Leahy is the president of PESA Australia, and the leading DVD seller on eBay Australia and UK. The reader wrote, "I am just so shocked to see his account gone, and can't help but think if he can't make it, then there is little hope for us smaller Ebay sellers."

I was able to get an email in to Phil just before midnight our time, and here's his response:

Hi Ina, I have not paid my eBay bill yet as I migrating from Marketworks to CA. There is also no point in keeping my profiles due to the feedback changes. I plan to come out fresh with best practice so we can shoot for eBay discounts. I will also be changing our model that was far too reliant on eBay. Best Wishes, Phil

In another email, he said he would indeed be paying his eBay bill, and I'll be chatting with Phil tomorrow to learn more.

This says a lot about the changes rolling out on eBay.

by: Lars

Wed May 21 01:15:26 2008

I am lucky as only 40% of my business comes from Ebay. I know that my shopping cart spins circles around Ebay in profits, average ticket and customer maintenance. It's becoming increasing clear that Ebay will be a customer finding site for me, but I will do everything in marketing to steer my customers to my shopping cart. I already know the advantages, so nobody can convince me otherwise.

by: Lars

Wed May 21 01:22:26 2008

Also, my shopping cart uses my own merchant account and the Google Checkout option, which saves me over $650 per month in merchant fees.

Ebay is not only losing me as a 99.9% Positive great seller, they are losing me as a Paypal customer.

There tactics of suing competitors, ignoring great sellers and interfering with my business has left such a negative taste in my mouth. I am not sure Ebay can regain my trust.

by: Denise

Wed May 21 01:24:25 2008

Come join us at bang4bucks.com.au sales are picking up already since the radio advertising started.Keep the money in the Australian economy ebay is on a downhill slide and other sites are picking up the business.

by: Denise

Wed May 21 01:27:37 2008

Lars that is the whole thing, ebay arent looking after its bread and butter and if they dont win the PP issue im sure we will pay for it elsewhere, we have over 70,000 feedback and we made a company descision to never list on ebay again.
We spoke direct with bang4bucks to see what direction it will be taking and im willing to try my luck there even if it takes 6 months to build.
ebay can not be trusted with our business anymore

by: bite me

Wed May 21 01:38:54 2008

by: tired

Wed May 21 07:00:34 2008

Am I lost here?????  They haven't paid their bill yet, why not???  What is MARKETWORKS and CA ???? Well It will be interesting to see how he does with a "fresh start"  Ina please let us know what his new id is when he signs back up...

by: otto

Wed May 21 08:33:08 2008

''It truly is dumb to rely too much on ebay for your business. Look at all the sellers ruined by feedback and all the people who own isold it franchises.''

Is this the same ''Bite Me'' eBay Cheerleader that was so pro-eBay and so Anti-Seller 'problems' in the other blog entry from yesterday?

This is obviously not the same person, the other Bite Me was obnoxious, rude, and such a cheerleader, it was obvious he was an eBay employee.

by: Hurling Thunderbolts

Wed May 21 13:05:21 2008

@Otto

That's "bite me" all right.  Wonder what changed his tune?

I have read his eBay cheerleading posts ad nauseum.

What gives "bite me"?  Have you changed your tune or do you have multiple personalities?

by: otto

Wed May 21 13:24:11 2008

Maybe Bite Me got a few negatives in the past few days. That would change anyone's tune.

by: bite me

Wed May 21 13:46:42 2008

Yes that was bite me. I've never said that getting negs wouldn't ruin anyone, in the short term. But as this system becomes entrenched, people I don't think will be scared if they see 75-80% feedback. They'll start looking more at comments. I'd rather have it that way rather than get negged by bad sellers. Very few people will have 100% feedback but who cares? This guy whole777 who really sucked selling office supplies has 3.something DSRs, but under the old system he had a 98% feedback. Check out his DSRs at dsrwatch.com Just cover your bases and you may have a bad apple every now and then but it's not the end of the world.

by: Kal

Wed May 21 16:03:04 2008

Regarding WHOLE777, who cares? He's not registered, and his feedback trailed ended last October. He just went off and got a new ID, that's all. So what his feedback now is 78%? It's a dead account.

P.S. *I* care that my feedback is 100%. I worked too damn hard the past 10 years to make it that way to have some bottom feeding buyer take it away.

by: bite me

Wed May 21 16:07:25 2008

I can tell you from experience that a  lot of people are suspicious about 100% feedback so I'm not sure it's all that its cracked up to be. The fact is that with the old system large sellers, who often have crappy service, could get away with it because of their volume. The DSRs/ neg policy now eliminate their advantage. So in some ways smaller sellers should be happy. True if you get a bad apple it can hurt for a while but I think in the long run it's better.

by: Kal

Wed May 21 19:11:23 2008

A year is a long while. Previously my feedback was 3000 ''lifetime''. One, two, three negatives could be absorbed into that easy. Now, my feedback is only 93 ''for 12 months'' out of 3225 (new rollup). One neg or neutral, and I'm at 99%, two or three, and I'm dead, for a year.

I give no one reason to give me bad feedback, which is why it's 100% for ten years. No tricks, just 100% good service.

However, with the new ''no fear'' policy, I could get a buyer who can basically do anything they want for any reason, no matter how good my service is. They just have a bad day, they didn't like the time the postal service took, anything.

You see why I'm concerned? It's not a trivial matter.

by: beth

Wed May 21 19:14:34 2008

so, a guy either can't or won't pay his fees because of something less than 2 weeks old?

Pathetic - glad eBay did - why should honest sellers subsidize people who don't pay

by: SD7970

Wed May 21 19:17:23 2008

The bellend is naru because he didn't pay his fee's. I have to pay mine why shouldn't he.

by: monster

Wed May 21 20:50:15 2008

The whiner posters on this board are so accustomed to blame everything on eBay (doesnt matter whose mistake it is). No point in arguing with them.

The author of this post did not even have the minimum courtest to chage the title of the post after realizing whose mistake it is. I guess that is what sensational journalism is.

Now, i will be called as an ebay employee for pointing the obvious.

by: bite me

Wed May 21 21:58:18 2008

@ kal

Well I'm sure in the next few weeks there will be zillions of websites where worried sellers can post the id's of everyone who's left negs for them. With that you can make a huge block list.

by: disgruntled ebayer

Thu May 22 09:54:13 2008

gee, isnt this great. We went from 99% to 98.1 % and HAVE NOT LISTED or SOLD anything on sleazebay in 3 weeks.
bye bye ebay...

by: dimes

Thu May 22 10:55:16 2008

Yes, I expect there will be multiple Bad Bidder sites popping up, all of which will be entirely out of eBay's control and none of which will do anything to help eBay's stated goal of improving the 'buyer experience'.

by: Mike

Thu May 22 12:38:10 2008

NARU? Our boys down-under know the score and as such, eBay just hit another strike three for the 10000th time.