Sat May 17 2008 19:42:27

Wigix, Fididel, Flippid Target eBay Sellers

Sunday's AuctionBytes-Update newsletter features reviews of three new ecommerce sites: Wigix, Fididel and Flippid. They take a very different approach from the online auction model, but each site is hoping to convince eBay users to try their sites.

The fact that Fididel introduces a human "middleman" to the process is pretty radical, and Wigix has lots of monetary incentives for engaging the community.

After reading about these sites, let me know if you like what you see, if you've tried them out yourself, and if you have questions about how they work. I'm also curious if anyone has predictions on which one(s) will succeed.

Wigix, Fididel, Flippid Target eBay Sellers   Wigix, Fididel, Flippid Target eBay Sellers

by: Lars

Sat May 17 21:37:05 2008

It nice to see the vacuum that Ebay is creating is already being filled. Ebay is trying to be like OTHER sites, instead of sticking to their roots. This will be Ebays doom.

by: Will

Sun May 18 00:47:56 2008

I have not been focusing on what the others have been doing. We, at WorthPoint have been doing some neat things in the year we have existed. We are averaging over 10,000 users a day and working with Proxibid to fill the eBay-live void. We also enabled a subscriber to sell a painting she found in the trash, last week, for $103,000.I am surprised you did not think of us.

We will be a front end to systems like eBay. This also includes other markets including our 300 auction partners, Craigs list, or our own board.

We look forward to the future.

by: disgruntled ebayer

Sun May 18 06:16:16 2008

GOOD LUCK, good luck, GOOD LUCK.
ONE or More than one of you new sites - please take over what ebay has ruined.

by: Patricia

Sun May 18 14:01:19 2008

If ebay is, indeed, planning on phasing out small sellers and eventually auctions (just as Amazon did years ago) then the art community on ebay has no place to go.  I have checked out most of the sites and if they have art at all it is a small anemic section that offers little to no visibility.  Is anyone out there going to step in and tap into the large array of artwork being bought and sold on ebay?  It would be a shame to see it fall by the wayside.  It has offered up and coming artists good exposure for many years now.  How many different sites are needed to sell the same iPods and cell phones?  I'm not speaking about a dedicated artsite - those just don't work - but one of these new sites could and should have a nice beefed up art category and offer artists an incentive to come and post their work the same way they are trying to appeal to iPod sellers.

by: Patricia

Sun May 18 14:03:20 2008

WORTHPOINT....the above post should be aimed at sites like yours.  I went there and saw the abundance of old works, etc....no new artists!  Just stuff people find in their attics!

by: Old Fart

Sun May 18 16:13:28 2008

You lost me at Haggle.

All it does is bring back memories of a used car salesman or shopping in Mexico.  I understand why Saturn went to Sticker Price.

However some cultures and people will definitely be drawn to this type of model.

But give me a Good O’ Auction any day.

by: Boycott Ebay

Sun May 18 17:07:32 2008

They lost me when I saw the word Paypal. Along with never using Ebay again, I will not use Paypal as either a seller or a buyer.

by: JediGuardian

Sun May 18 17:15:58 2008

I dunno, I disagree with the old fart.

Fididel really didn't feel like haggling at all. No hassle or anything since the transaction is done online.

What I hate about ebay is that I get bid sniped on ebay. I find that to be an incredible hassle and not to mention annoying because I had to wait till the stupid auction closes, only to find out I didn't win cause some jerk outbid me in the last minute and so now I need to wait before I buy the product AGAIN.

I tried Fididel and there was no hassle because there was no typing back and forth and I just choose from a list of things I could say and I knew I had won my item at the end of the negotiation at the price I initially wanted to pay. The only thing that sucks about the site is they need more stuff, but hey its a new site so I guess thats how that goes.

I guess with new technologies there's always going to be the old guard that just doesn't get it.

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO of Leeflang Archives Corporatio

Mon May 19 10:39:55 2008

If Worthpoint thinks they can make it by becoming a front end to Ebay, they are in fact making them selves dependent on Ebay and its success or failure.

Considering how bad Ebay is doing, as a major seller, I would not touch anyone committing to them with a ten foot pole.

I prefer working with those who will remain independent of Ebay and thus actually help me become independent from them.

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO of Leeflang Archives Corporatio

Mon May 19 10:42:28 2008

Wigix sees to be teh most likely candidate of offering sellers (and buyers) independence from Ebay. The sole thing they still need to do is expand teh payment systems they offer, so not only Paypal. It will be interesting to see if they have the guts to risk that.

by: Will

Mon May 19 11:23:30 2008

Patricia, we plan to offer something like you are referring to, for new artists. It may take another year. We are 1 year old, as of last April, and it all takes time and money. We are lfriends and family funded, with 80 persons around the world working on, marketing and selling the product.

As to other's comments on eBay, they are not going to go away, and are a great place to sell some items, and not others. I believe that a seller should be aware of all venues that are appropriate, including ours, and pick the correct one. we will try to make this simplier and simplier for a seller to do, over time.

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO of Leeflang Archives Corporatio

Mon May 19 22:18:27 2008

Flippid viable? No, it is not going to happen.

The site has only a couple of forum visitors. It also has no company information nor real B+M contact details.

In a month or two it will be gone.

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO of Leeflang Archives Corporatio

Mon May 19 22:23:32 2008

Fididel viable? Maybe, but unlikely.

1) RTN is really not practical for low cost items. Beside that RTN is just a marginal innovation, not really an incentive to leave other major sites. Major innovations are needde for that.

2) No forums shown on site.

3) No real B+M contact details of company.

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO of Leeflang Archives Corporatio

Mon May 19 22:26:12 2008

Wigix viable? Yes. Their promise of being an Ebay killer is on target. Of course all will depend on proper execution, but the concepts are there an dthe site is very promising already although only a beta. See my more detailed Wigix related comments in the AB forum.

by: Rob Sato

Wed May 21 03:51:03 2008

We've seen 'em come and we've seen 'em go.Until any one or number of so-called ''Ebay Alternatives'' do the following, they won't be anything but a dead link soon.

1) Get the BUYERS. Like a party with only guys, but no girls, most auction sites have SELLERS but no buyers.
Get the BUYERS and the rest will happen.

2)DON'T USE PAYPAL. If your site uses Paypal, you are helping Ebay. PayPal is owned by Ebay. Every transaction you make on PayPal, Ebay gets a cut.  It's helping the enemy. Got it?

3)Make it SIMPLE. Wigix is so complicated, that it's almost unusable. New and different, but not better. What's the point? And the so called market prices on there are so unrealistic. Over $1000 for a G3 Imac!?
Wigix will be just another also ran just like the other sites out there that try to be too complex.

4)Stop trying to outright beat   Ebay. You can't. They're too big. Quit claiming to be the next Ebay. The web is already littered with the corpses of  New Ebay Alternatives with NO activity. Be yourself. Niche yourself. Maybe nobody's heard of GEMM, but they have way more music selling then Ebay does. Or Atomic Avenue for comic books.
Quit trying to go head on with Ebay when you simply can't.

5)Make it COMMUNAL. Ebay has become so corporate as to be unrecognizable. They are doing everything they can to pinch yet another penny out of their users. They use the classic cliche of monopoly muscle and bullying policies to force people to conform to what they think is a good user experience. They have it all wrong. They've long lost touch with the average user, buyer or seller.

Craig's List is a community. A chaotic, exciting, bazaar where anything can happen and everything goes. Yet is is self policed. Not always fairly, but there is a sort of balance there. With Ebay, they hold ALL the power. The buyer  and seller are given the scraps. Craig's List has a major legal battle with Ebay now. I hope CL wins.

The most important ones are Get the BUYERS and don't use Paypal. The rest helps, but those two matter the most.

And it wouldn't hurt if a respected online giant like Google got serious about online auctions. Maybe a pipedream, but hey anything can happen on the wild wooly web, eh?

by: Lyn

Wed May 21 12:41:58 2008

Right on, Mr. Sato!! Agree with you 100%.

by: SDavinci

Fri May 30 16:21:33 2008

I'm not sure why Flippid is being written about - it launched in 4th Qtr of 2006 and has never gone over 200 items for sale and thats only recently with a couple of press mentions.  It really belongs in the deadpool.

by: Travis

Wed Jun 4 01:03:41 2008

I have been on Wigix for a couple of weeks and I think it has real potential! The Website may be somewhat confusing at first but it doesn't take long to get used to it. So far they are ''community driven'' and very responsive. It is in the Beta stage...and that is a good thing! It's good because they are listening to what the users want and building the site the right way. Another huge factor is the possibility of making money...Imagine if you could get a quarter for every xbox sold on ebay...or  10-20 bucks for every 2008 Ford Mustang sold on ebay...that is what Wigix is offering. They will give YOU 5% of fees they collect if you help them with their catalog! Pile that on with NO listing fees and Wigix has HUGE potential! I could go on and on but really, you just need to check it out for yourself and imagine the possibility of what they offer. If WE build it...they (the buyers) will come! If you are inclined to check it out then, read a little bit at Wigix first and if I've inspired you to sign up...please use my referral link!!

4086

by: Rob D.

Fri Jul 11 01:47:01 2008

Wigix is too complicated for any buyer. In 10 minutes they'd give up and find another site which is easy to use, understand, and easy to purchase.

The other sites have some good ideas but they don't offer a large venue. They may attract a user but they will quickly leave because the inventory isn't there.

The idea of Flippid is great but there are barely any items available and the menu is difficult to browse or search. I'd to be able to see what categories have items for sale upfront before finding the right category, only to find out there is nothing there.

Either business has potential with the right marketing. I would focus on courting the huge power sellers who left Ebay and give them a piece of the pie to join and sell their wares. With this strategy, it might be possible to fill some of those empty categories thus attracting a captive customer audience. In addition, when a sales person leaves a company (Ebay) they take their customers with them and the company or business which hires them, profits.

by: bob t

Fri Jul 11 10:29:29 2008

WOW,this is really depressing.EBAY must love stuff like this.i know everybody is really trying(and thats just great) but none of these sites
offers anything interesting and very few items for purchase.how about a site that works just like ebay with a mix of auctions and buy it now without all of the miserable customer service that ebay and paypal offers.I would love a site where i can buy a book,cd,DVD or something that just came out at a lower
price than a retail store.that would be perfect.i love shopping at Amazon because i save money and have not had any problems with their service.I love saving money on Ebay,but feel bad buying or selling there because their customer
service and anal corporate thinking
just makes me sick.and dont even get me started with paypal.worst corporation ever!! Anybody know of an auction site that has lots of products with a simple
auction system?would just love that!!