Fri Apr 18 2008 16:36:02

eBay Helps Sellers Block Bad Buyers

With the radical changes to feedback starting to roll out on eBay.com the week of May 19th, sellers are concerned that, because they can't leave buyers negative feedback ratings, they will be subject to extortion and abuse by bad buyers.

eBay's "Buyer Requirements" feature provides a way for sellers to block certain types of buyers. eBay is introducing a new Buyer Requirement that will allow sellers to block buyers who have been reported by other sellers for policy violations such as feedback abuse or email threats. eBay shared this news with developers, but did not provide details on how sellers would be able to report buyers for these violations so they would be picked up by the new Buyer Requirement setting.

In addition, eBay told listeners at its Town Hall meeting on Thursday that it would expand its existing Buyer Requirement for Unpaid Items (UPI), aka "deadbeats." Currently, sellers may block bidders who have had 2 UPI reports filed against them within the last 30 days. eBay will change this to bidders who have had 2 or more UPI reports within the last 12 months.

by: rodman

Fri Apr 18 21:43:18 2008

Where's the Beef???

by: Gravy

Sat Apr 19 00:29:40 2008

This is GREAT news! This will help level the playing field against crooksters. Good job Ebay!

by: denny & barb

Sat Apr 19 06:16:20 2008

A postitive development in our opinion.   It is past time to eliminate the ''bad apples'' on both the buyer and seller side of the equation and this may be one more tool in our toolbox!  Hope there is more to come to improve our marketplace!  Denny & Barb

by: Dave

Sat Apr 19 08:10:23 2008

What about bidders who simply ditch the old ID and open a new one? How are sellers protected against them?

by: J. R.

Sat Apr 19 09:36:53 2008

Excuse me if I don't get overly excited with these new developments.  I've been around the block with eBay's double speak.

1.  ''eBay is introducing a new Buyer Requirement that will allow sellers to block buyers who have been reported by other sellers for policy violations such as feedback abuse or email threats.''

a.  If a Seller does turn in feedback abuse or an email threat, eBay will determine if they feel there was feedback abuse or an email threat by the Buyer and guess what....The Buyer is always right so eBay will not consider what you turn in as feedback abuse or the email you received a threat.

b. It's been my experience that eBay does not consider anything ''feedback abuse'' except in the most extreme cases.

2. ''eBay shared this news with developers, but did not provide details on how sellers would be able to report buyers for these violations so they would be picked up by the new Buyer Requirement setting.''

a.  Of course eBay didn't give details on how Sellers will be able to report buyers for these violations.  That's the beauty of how eBay communicates with their Sellers.

b.  They really don't want you to turn any Buyer in, that's why they didn't give out that information at the Town Hall Meeting on Thursday.

This new announcement is just throwing the Sellers a bone so they will quit making ''noise''.

by: C. Yee

Sat Apr 19 12:12:26 2008

I'd like to know where was the May 19th date announced?  I'm just wondering because I haven't seen an actual announced date anywhere on Ebay, and everyone is still talking about May 1 on the boards.

by: BeBopDeluxe

Sun Apr 20 07:28:46 2008

I agree totally with J. R. -   I've seen many buyers with tons of negs still being allowed to bid and buy, though ebay supposedly was to suspend those who were heavy offenders.  Ebay is just throwing up some smoke and mirrors in response to sellers' protests regarding the new feedback policy.

by: rainbowseeker

Sun Apr 20 10:31:15 2008

EBay also said they will be working to swiftly kick off bad buyers.  I had a recent experience with that so called swiftness.

A couple weeks ago I sold an expensive set of sterling flatware to a buyer with the ID jim_tien.  If you do a search for this ID you will see it is still active.  The address for it was given as in the Russian Federation.  At the time I sold the sterling he had one positive recent feedback and no negatives.  Late the evening of the purchase he wrote asking if I would ship the next day if he paid me immediately.  Well I would have to be stupid to answer yes to that request...which I did not.  By the next evening his one positive feedback had a note on it that he had retracted the payment once the item was shipped....and I was also contacted by another seller that he had tried to pay them with a stolen Pay Pal account.

I of course called powersellers to be told there was nothing they could do so I wrote security and trust.  My email was acknowledged as received but to date I have not received a reply.

Meanwhile the buyer has now acquired 5 negatives and I am sure several dispute counsel strikes...mine included....yet he is still listed as active.  He has obviously moved to another ID.  Let this be a glaring example of eBay's SWIFT action against bad buyers.  Who...remember....we will no longer be able to leave NEGATIVE feedback for.

My take....is an old one....don't believe anything eBay promises us.

by: Henrietta

Sun Apr 20 13:43:15 2008

I tried to report a similar hijacked account.

There is no clear route to do this, it requires determination and perseverance.
My first response, 24 hours later, assumed MY account had been hijacked, no biggie I am on strike & not using it. The second response, three days after my first report was a different cut and paste job also assuming MY account was hijacked. I gave up.

Why has eBay no direct contact link for reporting hijacked accounts?

OH! Silly Me! ITs Sellers who are bad, not buyers!

www.redinkdiary.blogspot.com

by: Patricia

Sun Apr 20 18:39:23 2008

This latest bit of nothingness shows me one thing...there are cracks in Ebay's resolve to force stupid new policy changes on sellers.  After literally thousands of comments - all adverse to their new policies....duh!!! they may be beginning to see the light?  One can only hope.  The worst is yet to come when these new policies go into effect and sellers actually experience them.  The "noise" will reach deafening proportions.  I hope Mr. Donahoe is ready for this!  I hope the stockholders note the name of this man...he is destroying Ebay!

by: Henrietta

Mon Apr 21 04:43:05 2008

Patricia

There are none so blind as they that WILL NOT see! eBay sees nothing because they aren't looking. eBay will continue to bully and do their 'we know best' act as they swirl down the drain with the dirty water.

Right now eBay has greater revenue from both advertising & Paypal than the auction site, but will continue to BS with the Bayspeak as long as they think they can get away with it.

The only cracks they see are crackpots like you and me who will not shut up and go away!

by: Julie

Mon Apr 21 10:05:22 2008

Well said, J.R.!!!  I couldn;t agree more, and have nothing more to add, except to say that I hope this will be another nail in Ebay's deserved coffin.

by: larry

Mon Apr 21 10:44:14 2008

All a bad buyer has to do is change their ID. Example:
After buyer ID upsman04ss continually left  deliberate negs for a number of sellers and ebay refused to do anything about seller complaints, upsmano4ss then went and changed their ID to ccitybro316 anyway, because their old ID was getting blocked

Now if you do a search on the old upsman04ss ID nothing comes up.  So all the sellers who put upsman04ss on their blocked bidder list can get screwed by this person again.

The whole feedback thing is continually made worse by eBay, every time they mess with it.
DSR's on shipping charges are stupid.  If a buyer doesn't like shipping charges, then they shouldn't purchase the item.  Don't buy it anyway, then low-rate the seller on shipping charges.

Also, the seller ships immediately then gets low 'shipping time' ratings if the post office screws up.  How fair is that?
Sellers not being able to neg a buyer is beyond stupid.
Oh, sorry, I'm starting to rant off topic a little.  I'm done.

by: R They Nutz

Mon Apr 21 11:54:36 2008

jim_tien is certainly having an ''excellent buying experience'' as reported above by rainbowseeker.  The account is STILL active with a purchase of 2 brand new Apple MacBook Air yesterday after noon (Auctions 290220478126 and 320237874685 )

The ONLY way another seller would know that this buyer is a thief and using what seems to be a stolen credit card number is the negative feedback left by sellers.

ARE YOU LISTENING EBAY?  NEGATIVE FEEBACK LEFT BY SELLERS IS THE ONLY WAY ANYONE WOULD KNOW THIS BUYER IS A THIEF!!

Sorry for shouting but ebay's hearing problem while ''listening'' to the community is working my last nerve

by: chapman

Mon Apr 21 13:05:22 2008

You're kidding?  And how, pray tell, is a seller going to know a buyer is bad, without feedback?  Is ebay going to publish a list?  As far as I know, disputes are private, between seller and buyer.  What a maroon!

by: mayor*of*monkeytown

Mon Apr 21 13:33:47 2008

I'm not sure whether to be amused or simply astounded that eBay referred to the unhappy sellers as a small number.  If ever there were a corporation that deserved to fail in the most humiliating way possible, it's eBay.

It's bad enough that eBay has removed the seller's ability to warn other sellers about bad buyers, but now they think the community as a whole is stupid enough to be pacified by the new and improved methods of getting rid of bad buyers.

Are you kidding me?  eBay makes money off bad buyers.  Why would they want to get rid of them?  From sellers who can't be bothered to file UIDs to the relist fees on auctions, eBay makes millions a quarter from their legion of bad buyers.

Even more insulting is the notion that this new system of weeding out bad buyers is going to make us all jump for joy, when 1) feedback abuse reports are rarely determined to be abuse; 2) feedback extortion gets proved even less than abuse; 3) and finally, what good does it do having a buying block for users with more than 2 UIDs filed against them in the last year when eBay happily removes strikes from buyers' accounts simply because the buyer requests it?

Oh, but you say, it's only the first strike that is being removed.  No, it's not.  I've seen several posts on the boards that eBay is removing more than one strike per account. Given the process of how the UID works there are only a few excuses for a strike to be removed, all of them involving bad sellers.

It would seem that eBay is gearing up for that retail experience where the buyer views their bid as a shopping cart and can remove their items from it, even after the auction ends.  Thanks eBay.  You're doing a bang up job.

by: stylephyle

Mon Apr 21 14:10:35 2008

May 19?? I am ALREADY seeing my once perfect seller rating go down because buyers can trash sellers with no fear of reprisal -- EVEN IF THEY GOT A BIDSTRIKE THEN A NEG FROM ME! All they have to do is pay for the item and the strike is removed, and they are free to retaliate.  And ebay will do NOTHING about it.  So how about going back to the rule buyers couldn't retaliate once they've been labeled a deadbeat for nonpay????

by: Lyn

Mon Apr 21 23:39:44 2008

Someone bought something from me a few months ago and I had to end up filing an UID when I realized no payment after 15 days and a buyer with 4 negative strikes in 30 days. The next day, the buyer was NARU with 4 negative strikes within 30 days. Then suddenly two days later, I get a PayPal payment for the item and ebay has reversed the strike and FVF credit I had been given from the UID. Lo and behold, the buyer is back in business with all the negative strikes removed. I refunded the money to this person, who was allowed to pay for an item that was a fully completed UID with FVF credited already and the item already relisted and sold. Now I am getting harrassing emails from her asking why I blocked her from bidding and it was so sad, she was in the hospital and ebay was soooo understanding about the whole thing. So I'm out all the ebay and PayPal fees in order to get her reinstated. Suuuuure, I'm believin' that ebay is going to help sellers identify bad buyers and keep them from inflicting their crap on other sellers.

by: MAtt Sun

Tue Apr 22 07:23:01 2008

Bad buyers think the new rule are in effect now !. I'v had 2 extortion attempts in one week for cash. Cash or nfb. I sent the emails to Ebay and they have only repeatly sent me instructions for mutual withdrawle. NO Action To Remove NFB. BUT I was able to NFB back. This will send me to ubid and usfreeads.

by: Mimi

Wed Apr 23 23:34:33 2008

This is just another attempt to smooth things over with upset sellers.
I recently had a buyer make a purchase with an undeliverable address.  eBay told me to refund payment since the buyers phone number was also out of service.  I refunded, filed UPI, waited fifteen day to get back fvf's -- strike given and then bam, reversed!  I only knew this because I checked my dispute console to make sure the strike was still there (gut feeling).  I called eBay and was told that trust and safety can NOT tell me why the strike was reversed.
I have seriously had with eBay and I've been a seller and buyer for almost 8 yrs.
Too much stress, too little profit, too much going into eBay's pockets, not enough seller satisfaction.  Who pays ALL the fees to eBay?  Sellers!  Who is getting screwed with all these new changes?  Sellers!

D-O-N-E