Tue Apr 15 2008 22:04:33

Amazon Auctions to Rise from the Ashes?

File this under wild rumors and speculation: Amazon.com may be working on the return of the auction format to its site. With eBay trying to be more like Amazon, and with Amazon welcoming eBay sellers to its site, it's not that far-fetched. If you have any insight, feel free to tell all here.

For background on Amazon Auctions, read this insider's account on Greg Linden's blog.

Amazon Auctions to Rise from the Ashes?   Amazon Auctions to Rise from the Ashes?

by: nancybusinraleigh

Tue Apr 15 22:32:08 2008

There were rumors about a week ago on ebay boards, I called Amazon directly and of course their superb customer service called back as I had scheduled - gotta love that level of dedication!

Anyway, they said there were no announcements that they had received in house that they were considering this return to auction format offerings.

Don't know if corporate would keep employees in the dark unless they have some large planned announcement?

by: hans garcia

Tue Apr 15 22:33:13 2008

that will be a great news I will move all my inventory from greebay

by: Nancy

Tue Apr 15 22:57:41 2008

How ironic would that be ?! LOL

I'd sign up !!

by: tj

Tue Apr 15 23:48:49 2008

This would wipe-out eBay in 6 months>>> lets see how big they think they are now.
Amazon just Do It...at last light at the end of the selling tunnel

by: Steve L

Wed Apr 16 01:19:29 2008

Although I think it would be great, I saw this after Catalyst last week on AmazonStrategies blog: ''In response to an attendee question Sebastian (Gunningham, Sr. VP responsible for third-party business worldwide) made it clear that Amazon has no intention to jump back into the auction business: “We have history here, but we have no plans to do auctions at this point. We believe that the Amazon customer is looking for low price and a very fast & easy shopping experience. Auctions are more fun & interactive, and we’re not looking to provide that experience.” And nobody gasped at that — giving up this space to focus exclusively on the fixed-price, convenience shopper fits into the “do what you do best” category and was the right decision.''

Maybe if we grit our teeth and wish reeeaallyy hard...

by: cst

Wed Apr 16 07:05:54 2008

TJ: it would not wipe out eBay of course, but it'll be certainly a very welcome competition to make eBay lower its fees!

by: Joan

Wed Apr 16 09:51:59 2008

I would maintain an auction presence on Amazon just as a symbolic gesture. eBay will be a fond/nightmarish [depends on the phase] memory soon. They were at the right place at the right time and have screwed everthing up ever since.

by: Patricia

Wed Apr 16 15:51:12 2008

Fed up sellers have been writing and contacting Amazon - probably enmass.  Its a great opportunity to take a lion's share of disgusted sellers away from ebay.  The arts categories alone - which ebay totally ignores and treats like trash - contain close to 200,000 listings direct from artist and dealers combined.  They've been hammered for years with feature plus auctions that run their listings up to over $20.00 each just for a chance to be seen at all!  The largest artist community on earth needs a place to go where it will be policed, regulated and treated FAIRLY!  Amazon...I do hope you're listening!

by: Capt. John

Thu Apr 17 05:56:27 2008

I've left Feebay at the beginning of the last Boycotte. I've since started with 5
other free online auction sites with very limited success.
Should Amazon resurrect thier Auction again, I would gladly lead the
parade to Amazon to partake in that endeavor. Lets all LET AMAZON KNOW we want thier Auction back!!!--Capt. John

by: deepgroove

Thu Apr 17 08:06:50 2008

with evilBay going out of its way to alienate its sellers, the time is ripe for Amazon to step in and give it another try.  I would move in a heartbeat.

by: Ilene

Thu Apr 17 08:14:16 2008

I list on ebay, overstock, and all the free sites I can find.  Overstock  is cheaper but not a lot of sales; my listings on the free sites just sit there.  Lately, I've been looking at Amazon as a venue for some of my old books.  I'd be there in a flash if they activate the auction site again.

Please, please, please, Amazon!  Hear our pleas!!!!!!!!!

by: stuff-and-nonsense

Thu Apr 17 15:45:00 2008

Dream on. Amazon auctions didn't work because Amazon shoppers and eBay buyers are different kinds of beasts, and Amazon buyers don't want the auction experience. Sebastian Cunningham nails it, and he should know better than any of us.

Amazon and eBay were founded on two different premises, and they remain very different buying experiences. If Amazon revives auctions, it will do no better than eBay Express.

by: Patricia

Thu Apr 17 17:39:23 2008

Be careful what you wish for.  Amazon doesn't have the best track record with auctions.  Seems to me I remember they weren't very well policed either and in the end amazon must have figured it wasn't worth all the hassle...probably what ebay is thinking right now.  I doubt if they'd start up auctions again.  Overstock has/had the ability to give ebay a run for its money but they also don't have their heart into auctions.  They advertise quite a bit but you hardly ever hear a word about them having auctions in any of their ads.

by: Chris

Thu Apr 17 20:16:59 2008

I never listed on Amazon auctions when they had it - actually I didn't know they had auctions till they were closing up shop. My question would be what would make it any different than the first time around?

by: Jamie Gilcig

Thu Apr 17 20:44:40 2008

I was actually contacted by Amazon (anyone else remember Jay?) to move from Ebay to Amazon Auctions way back in 1998.

It was the best online experience possible.  Auctions worked perfectly.

Then Amazon decided they wanted more of the pie and created Marketplace.

I remember my Amazon rep being upset that I was selling dvds via Auctions for $75 each that they had available for $23.  As a matter of fact they put a purchase limit of 3 units because of li'l ol me :)

I don't think Amazon will let its brand name go back to auctions based on their actions as a website and how they want to capture every single cent of every transaction.

It's a shame as the platform was flawless, easy, and productive.

Jamie
HOV on Amazon

by: Lisa

Tue Apr 22 00:59:30 2008

Amazon will rip sellers off. That is the problem... Their stores if you get one complaint your money is frozen.
Ebay only listens to power sellers.