Tue Apr 15 2008 10:05:31

No BayEstimator for You, eBay Tells Sellers

In a move that conjures up images of the "Soup Nazi" from the TV sitcom Seinfeld, eBay pulled a tool sellers were using to optimize their listings for Best Match.

"No BayEstimator for you!"

Not surprisingly, Scot Wingo may have been the catalyst for the tool being pulled, having blogged about how sellers were using the tool to game the Best Match algorithm.

This is not the first time eBay has chosen to limit sellers' knowledge about the auction site's features. When Wingo launched a tool that gave sellers more detailed information about their DSR ratings than eBay provided, eBay quickly changed the API to prevent sellers for seeing the detailed data. While there may be some rationale for pulling BayEstimator, there was no reason for pulling the detailed DSR data, which could help sellers try and raise their scores.

What's certain is that eBay desperately needs to provide sellers with more information about Best Match. How can it expect its best sellers to rank high in search results if they are stumbling around in the dark - and with some sellers spending hours trying to unlock its mysteries.

Unfortunately, eBay has removed the only recipe to the Best Match soup.

No BayEstimator for You, eBay Tells Sellers   No BayEstimator for You, eBay Tells Sellers

by: Gary

Tue Apr 15 10:38:41 2008

Hehee he... I was the one who found it. I shared it with Kim of Tekgems and then later posted it to auctioninsights. It was fun while it lasted. We are still trying to figure out how to game color search.

To ebay I say that dikin around with titles and the platform is not the most productive thing for me to be doing. I no longer respond to their goofy change of the day, week, month or quarter. I am tired of ebays constant change, glitches, bad coding, me and buyers HATE it we are moving to Amazon where ecommerce is stable and changes are actually thought out.

JD,best match my AZZ.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Tue Apr 15 10:38:42 2008

Ina, I've waited in line, in NYC for soup from Al ''the Soup Nazi''.

The quality of Al's soup is FAR superior to the efforts of eBay.

Come to think of it, the ''Soup Nazi'' has better customer service as well. My order was always correct, I always got what I paid for and occasional bonuses were thrown in.

Ed Gadfly

by: Gary

Tue Apr 15 10:45:53 2008

ents

January
27th

by: margaret

Tue Apr 15 10:47:37 2008

The ebay gestapo strikes again. It is such a obnoxious company. I bet ebay china operates in perfect harmony with the Government of China. They are two of a kind

by: Julie

Tue Apr 15 10:49:16 2008

So sick of ebay.
Taking my $10-15K+/month in sales to a place that doesn't F with me constantly & keep me from actually SELLING & providing good customer service.

by: Sandy

Tue Apr 15 10:52:14 2008

So why pull the tool if we all know that putting the word "new" in the title 20 times will rank us higher, why not fix Best Match. It seems stupid to pull a tool that is helpful to most people. What is to stop me from putting the word new in my titles multiple times, certainly not BayEstimate. Why not slap the people gaming the system with a keyword violation of some sort?

by: Jeff

Tue Apr 15 10:57:29 2008

Well,unfortunately I am one that doesn't complain much.I figure what is - is and what will be - will be but I will say their new best match is the biggest plunder this company could ever have done.

I'm a power seller and store sales have been non-existant this month and most recent auctions that ended have literally none to only 1 or 2 views on items that usally all sell with 80 to 100% sell thru rates and multiple bids.

Now to me that tells me best match is wrong to begin with but the arrogant wanna be's at Ebay corporate are to damn brain dead to realize what they have done to the site.

I now believe Ebay has killed themselves.

by: Karen

Tue Apr 15 11:03:26 2008

Maybe I'm just slow and missing ''the bigger picture'' :) Heck, maybe I'm just not seeing the eBay forest for the tree but it seems to me that eBay is doing ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING it can possibly think of to run off good sellers. From their grossly skewed and seriously flawed DSR rating system that does nothing but punish sellers, to screwing us out of the promised 5-15% PS bonus by ''calculating'' on a day of the month that favors cheating us, to no negative feedback for buyers...especially the ones who truly deserve it there is just never an end to the crap coming our way with Donahoe and his team.

No matter how hard we try to be good sellers, following their guidelines, best practice suggestion and even using the tools they give us eBay finds a way to screw us EVERY TIME. At this point it's starting to hurt.

by: Ken

Tue Apr 15 11:22:56 2008

The website has a comment form to be filled in to bring the tool back.
Here: http://labs.ebay.com/raghavgupta/demoto/to

I don't understand why they would get rid of a tool that helps sellers - it's the glitches in best match that are the problems, solve them first ebay.

by: C. Yee

Tue Apr 15 11:25:02 2008

Will Ebay ever figure out that in order to keep sellers there, they will have to actually start giving sellers the information they need to do business?

So many have left.  So many more are planning to leave.  You'd think they'd be trying to help the few that are willing to remain.

by: kohathi

Tue Apr 15 11:49:28 2008

Taking down the estimator makes sense to me. What's the point in having a system that can be gamed and then publishing how to game it? When everyone does it the field is level again and only the inexperienced, not the nefarious, suffer.

Of course, there was no point to Best Match in the first place.

by: stylephyle

Tue Apr 15 12:12:07 2008

I've already pulled by ebay store and moved it to the river. What few auctions I still do on ebay have absolutely TANKED since they quit doing sales price and ending time.  That's it - I'm done with ebay. Too bad they killed a good thing.

by: dimes

Tue Apr 15 12:28:04 2008

eBay must be pretty embarrassed now that everyone knows 'best match' consists of nothing more than repeating a few keywords in a listing title.

Today's earnings conference call should be interesting.

by: nitty

Tue Apr 15 12:52:29 2008

Beware eBay shareholders - there's an influential mole in eBay who perhaps through blackmail or just sheer cunning is working to destroy the company and so far they are succeeding wonderfully.

by: wanda

Tue Apr 15 12:58:54 2008

Ho hum... just another day in crappy ebay land.

Check this out  ~~~   us.ebid.net  ~~~ has had around 550,000 listings for the last 3 weeks I've been selling on it and watching it.  Yesterday it spiked up to over 900,000 listings in about a six hour period... I watched it on PSU... it was beauty, poetry in motion - poetic justice that is.

I think ebay has a formidable opponent now.  Great site too.  Click on the link right at the bottom of this page, matter of fact.

by: Mike

Tue Apr 15 13:15:16 2008

Yes, stop any tool which creates an unfair competitive advantage.

by: Patricia

Tue Apr 15 13:44:19 2008

Ebay seems to be falling all over themselves in their effort to manipulate sellers and sales and I'm sure they had a hissy fit when they found sellers manipulating them instead!  I find the whole thing to be a big joke!  Makes me appreciate Amazon even more when I go there to shop! ;-)

by: Shirley

Tue Apr 15 14:47:47 2008

Those of you thinking Amazon is your solution are in for a big surprise.  The customer is always right there (even when not) and Amazon's A-Z refund pool is funded by money Amazon subtracts from your shipping fees (which are inadequate to start with), customers are vicious with feedback, etc.  You can not set your own shipping fees, your own return policy and at least on books, their database is totally screwed and full of wildly inaccurate data, which they will allow you--in instances at their discretion whether to be approved or not--to correct for them.  They do not allow descriptions over a certain (too short) length, their description grades suck, and they are hard to upload to.  Items also get viewed by sales rank only, and anything too old to have standard product codes gets buried.  About the only good thing I can say about them is that, so far, you can draw your money out daily.  But you will not develop a following of customers there.  Forget that.  $1 sellers rule on non-new items on Amazon, and they want to only sell new items they stock themselves. I've listed on both eBay and Amazon for years and even with all the problems at eBay, up until now with all the new problems, they were a much better venue for anything except a zillion of the same widget. I think something new has to come along, as neither eBay or Amazon is any longer the answer.

by: tula

Tue Apr 15 14:48:01 2008

I've been trying to be supportive of eBay changes here for months now.  I still don't think the feedback thing is a big deal, for example. However I'm growing concerned about this "nickel and diming" of the sellers, not just monetarily, but with all these incremental changes that are making it harder to do business.  Why are they being so adversarial?  You would think they would be trying to help us sellers do business, not keep throwing roadblocks into our paths.  Upon filing my taxes this year, I discovered that my profit margin on eBay sales was a measly 12%.  eBay got 18%, meaning I paid them more than I actually made in profit.  Not a very good business model, as I am in business to make money for me, not eBay.

I still want to do business on eBay, but they're making it much more difficult.  I'm diversifying to other platforms, as well, in hopes of improving that profit margin, since eBay doesn't seem to care about helping me make money.  I just wish eBay would look at us sellers as partners instead of as adversaries.  This petulant behavior of taking their toys and going home is ridiculous.  If they help us sell, it can only benefit them, so why the attitude?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Tue Apr 15 16:41:24 2008

Wow Shirley,

Do you have an eBay IP address?

You forgot to mention that Amazon has the integrity to require the buyers to verify their identity.

There are A LOT LESS hassles, fraud and spam email on Amazon. Something the Brainiacs on eBay refuse to address.

Oh I forgot - it's all about THE BUYER EXPERIENCE. To hell with the customers (sellers) who pay the eBay bills.