Thu Apr 3 2008 22:16:22

eBay Invoices Show DSR Discount Discrepancies?

PowerSellers are receiving their eBay invoices with DSR discounts for the first time, and it appears many are seeing math errors. Some sellers report that they are getting the discount twice, although they say there is a math error in the second discount calculation. Other sellers say they are seeing a discount amount, but are actually being charged money.

Said one eBay Powerseller of the DSR discount appearing on invoices, "They gave it to me twice - once called "subscriptions" and once called "discounts". On the Powerseller board, lots of people are saying that when they do the math, they are not getting the full discount and some are finding that they get charges."

As announced in January, eBay is giving PowerSellers discounts for achieving certain levels of Detailed Seller Ratings, which are left anonymously by their buyers:

If you are a PowerSeller and all four of your detailed seller ratings (DSRs) for the past 30 day period are 4.6 or higher, you qualify for a 5% discount on Final Value Fees;

If you are a PowerSeller and all four of your detailed seller ratings (DSRs) for the past 30 day period are 4.8 or higher, you qualify for a 15% discount on Final Value Fees.

Another seller wrote me complaining of a discrepancy in when eBay calculates the discount. While the statement read, "We calculated your discount on 04/01/08," she said she knew that her DSRs had been at or above the requirement for the discount on April 1st and at least 3 days prior. In response to her inquiry, she said she received an email from eBay stating:

"The ratings are taken 3 to 5 days before the invoice, so the ratings at the bottom of your seller dashboard page are not the ratings we based the discount upon, the ratings at the bottom are your most current ratings. Your snapshot of your ratings was taken 3 to 5 days before April 1st and at that time your 30 day rating did not meet the requirements for the discount. We are currently working on getting a screen shot of the day we took the snapshot of your rating so you can see what your ratings were when we based the discount, that will be coming very soon on the account."

This would not be the first time eBay has had major billing issues,...let us know if your invoice looks correct and if you are experiencing any issues.

eBay Invoices Show DSR Discount Discrepancies?   eBay Invoices Show DSR Discount Discrepancies?

by: Gravy

Thu Apr 3 22:41:03 2008

Confuse the hell out of business owners. Hey it works for the phone company and it will work for Ebay too!

by: Laura

Thu Apr 3 23:14:08 2008

3-5 days!
What a joke, they would be clear if they really cared about their reputation, integrity or customers.  They aren’t some rinky dink company, they need to stop acting like it. Why in the world isn’t there an exact date and time, just makes us all believe they are manipulating it for their own advantage.

by: howmuchmore

Thu Apr 3 23:23:47 2008

I am really at a loss for words at all I have seen from eBay in just the last few months. I don't even enjoy finding items to list on eBay anymore, I feel like I am just helping a totally corrupt company.

by: Shirley

Thu Apr 3 23:45:08 2008

Since 2/18/08, I've been overcharged by eBay on items I moved from unsold auctions to my eBay store (a bit over $600)because they've erroneously recharged me for features I'd used on auctions and auction term fixed-price items.  I've just sent them all the item numbers and amounts at their request, and one of their customer service reps said they were 'aware of the problem'.  Of course they then, a day later, wanted me to close about a zillion listings and relist them as 'similar items' but that's not an option since this has gone on so long--too many different listings and some sold since, etc.  Anyway, what happens is when you use the 'relist as store item' function and you delete auction features from your unsold auction listings for putting them in your store, their listing confirmation screen tells you the correct amount as it should be for store charges, but you actually get charged again for any features you used during the auction - and the email confirmation you get from them for those store listings reflects that extra charge that their programming is adding back in, even though you'd  deleted those features.  So if you move unsold auction items to your eBay store, check your invoices from mid-February till at least 4/1/08 (last time I did such item moving, and it also happened on that date). And print out all the screens of your relisting such auction items as store items till we all know the programming has been fixed. Guess I'll be checking my invoices from them for a while.

by: Paul

Fri Apr 4 00:08:26 2008

Even though my DSRs have not shown anything below 4.8, eBay's magic crystal ball found a 4.7 so as to knock me down to a 5% discount.

Their use of 30-day averages is purely for their benefit to keep as many sellers off the 15% list.  Using 90-day averages would be much fairer, and still relevant, but fairness is a foreign concept to eBay management.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Apr 4 01:28:00 2008

The larger issue here is why the hundreds and hundreds of billing 'errors' over the have ALWAYS favored ebay.

This violates the laws of statistical probability.

Therefore, these 'errors' are intentional. Ebay should be compelled to undergo a thorough and comprehensive audit going back at least seven years and be further compelled to issue refunds to every seller they screwed over plus pay massive fines.

by: Nancy

Fri Apr 4 01:36:03 2008

EVERY seller that lists on eBay should be checking their invoices line by line, EACH MONTH.

It appears that eBay is going to make sure that as few powersellers as possible receive their 'bonus'.

It also appears that they didn't properly test the billing system to make sure it would be able to adapt for these percentage 'bonuses'

The last major billing glitch earned eBay a class action lawsuit, filed after SEVERAL months of sellers BEGGING eBay to fix it.

I wonder how long it will take them to get around to taking care of the 'glitches' this time ?

by: Greg

Fri Apr 4 03:21:46 2008

Check line by line! My march invoice is 96 pages long. And that was a slow month.

by: disgruntled ebayer

Fri Apr 4 03:38:48 2008

TIME TO LEAVE feebay NOW.

by: Kerry

Fri Apr 4 04:03:16 2008

Funny thing- The seller dashboard has 10 dash marks appearing between the 4star and 5star; which it would be logical that one to assume that each represent 4.1,4.2,4.3 and so on. But then, my reported score is less than that as charted; according to the chart my score of 4.5 is actually just over 4.7
It seems EBay once again has some explaining to do....

In addition, 4 stars are used to describe- Accurate, Satisified, Quickly, and Reasonable. Really Now...

I would love to see how stars Ebay would receive if the sellers were asked to rate them.
EBay would be not even measure up to there own standards; and likely to be rate well below average.

by: Henrietta

Fri Apr 4 06:20:24 2008

"which it would be logical that one to assume"

You want logical too? You KNOW you can't have it until they figure out how to charge you for it, and if you get too high maintenance you will be chained to your chair and forced to 'chat' with a live helpless bot.

by: BeBopDeluxe

Fri Apr 4 06:22:13 2008

What else could we possibly expect from the eBay thieving process?  Does anyone for a moment think things are likely to improve?  Is anyone really happy with eBay anymore?  Can any of us trust eBay to run an honest business, given the nature of all the "glitches" that always seem to be in their favor?  C'mon folks, let's all wake up!  Get off the Titanic!

by: Rhonda

Fri Apr 4 06:47:10 2008

I am SO GLAD I began moving most of my sales operations away from the eBay venue last year.

I'm no longer a PowerSeller there, but I smell a PowerSeller Class Action Suit in the air. Promise PSs discounts to keep PSs from taking their business elsewhere, then when it comes to actually giving them the discount,  the carrot was just an illusion that will be manipulated to eBay's favor.

What else is new in eBayWorld?

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO of Leeflang Archives Corporatio

Fri Apr 4 08:45:53 2008

Now I understand why, when I call to return to my card a double charge, they tell me it may take months and I shoudl contact my card company to get it charged back faster. They got too much work from all the erroneous invoicing and chargeback issues following that.

MY advice to any seller: Treat them like any other vendor. Dispute the Ebay charge with your card company.

by: Mr. Obvious

Fri Apr 4 09:26:25 2008

It is a scam. Standard fare at ebay. They, ebay, do it because they need the $$$ & know they can get away with it.

If you scam one person once, you are a scammer, but if you scam millions and millions of people over and over, and get them to stay and/or keep coming back, then you are "global leaders", with a "diverse and passionate community" (of 'marks')

In a week ebay will come up with some new ridiculous corporate oinkblog, a new neighborhood, windorphin,  cornflake or grease spot shaped like Beavis or some other religious icon or some such "fun" diversion of the sort and everyone will forget the lies, corruption and abuse and be thrilled to get screwed over and lied to some more.

by: dimes

Fri Apr 4 09:58:20 2008

''Treat them like any other vendor. Dispute the Ebay charge with your card company.''

Brilliant!

by: MERMAIDMONKEYS

Fri Apr 4 10:05:45 2008

I'm a PowerSeller with high DSRs -- I believe I qualify for 15% and yet eBay has not even calculated our PowerSeller discount!

I get only the message:
PowerSeller discount  Full Seller Dashboard coming soon.

I sure hope the discounts are retroactive! They take thousands from me monthly in fees, so I've got hundreds coming to me!

by: RichardC

Fri Apr 4 12:58:28 2008

Is any eBayer really surprised that their is a technical glitch in the DSR Discounts  on invoicing? Nothing more to say!

RichardC

by: Nancy

Fri Apr 4 13:04:07 2008

Greg, line by line is the only way to check it.

eBay makes it hard to do for a reason, they're masters at burying their errors. They count on sellers not taking the time to do the research to find those errors.

by: GregH

Sat Apr 5 01:36:33 2008

here's a new twist to the PS's Bonus plan.

24&forumID=143&x#1012571024