Sun Mar 30 2008 15:33:31

eBay Best Match No Longer Default Sort?

On March 3, 2008, eBay announced it was making Best Match the default sort order for search results. I've been hearing reports in the last few days that users are finding the default sort order has changed from Best Match to Time Ending Soonest or Newly Listed. Anyone having similar experiences or know what's going on?

These days there are so many variables when visiting eBay sites, it's difficult to figure out what the standard experience is or should be. All international sites used to be pretty standard when it came to policies and features - if not fees. But now each site is "doing its own thing." In addition, eBay is including subsets of visitors in various testing modes. So you may see something that other people don't see.

eBay Best Match No Longer Default Sort?   eBay Best Match No Longer Default Sort?

by: Patricia

Sun Mar 30 15:41:52 2008

I'm getting Best Match as a default but I've heard others on the discussion boards say they're getting either time ending soonest or newly listed.  I've also heard buyers loudly complaining that Best Match has spoiled their normal searches and doesn't have a clue as to what a buyer is looking for!  It could very well be ebay is testing both - since they do this by slapping stuff out there and waiting to hear the complaints!  A foolish way to do business but that's my opinion.  I cannot for the life of me see how a business can be successful by hiding some of its listings.  makes no logical sense but I've always believed that when ebay starts making sense then I need to question my own sanity ;-)

by: Jeff

Sun Mar 30 17:18:08 2008

I have a bookmarked link for search that I've been using for years that was ''Time: Ending Soonest''. It was doing that until about a day ago, and now is best match.

I'll say it as plainly as possible, best match sucks. The results make absolutely NO SENSE. Do it twice in a row and the results are different.

I'd much rather see things in the order they are ending, and I should have the right to set that as my preference. I did, but now it appears to have been taken away.

by: Jeff

Sun Mar 30 17:25:12 2008

I take it back. I went to the search screen and there was a link called ''Customize Search Options'' (top right) on the yellow bar that says ''Search: Find Items''. When you get to the page, click the tab that says ''Customize Display''. You'll find a ''Sort Search By'' pulldown box. It will probably say ''best Match''. Change it back to ''Time: Ending Soonest'' and ''Apply Changes''. The next time you use your search, it should default to that. It did for me - I've got Time:Ending Soonest as my default again.

by: black*max

Sun Mar 30 20:27:41 2008

From the Day best match became the "Default" I just sorted by "Time ending soonest" and it stayed that way.

I think sellers thought that by "Default" meant buyers could not search like they usually do, but thats not the case.

by: dimes

Sun Mar 30 22:20:06 2008

Consensus among the more cynical posters on the eBay boards is that Best Match will be back as the default search option after Q1 ends tomorrow night.

by: Marty

Mon Mar 31 07:45:17 2008

I think Best Match roll out is being somewhat limited to commodity or new products and is in use less in collectibles categories. I also feel there might be some rotation in and out of Best match.

Marty

by: Flora

Mon Mar 31 09:11:45 2008

Best Match page NEVER gives the same results twice or three times in a row, if repeated, the search starts giving completely irrelevant results of completely different items, possibly those that MUST be showcased for someone's benefit???? I wonder here...
CONCLUSION: best match is NOT a best match at all, it is limiting, everyone loses, sellers and buyers and eBay alike. Another fiasco.
Examples: I had an items showcased (paid extra for visibility) both in auction and after that in store, it was the ONLY running item of that kind yet it did not appear in ANY search, ever. Agent claims they can see it, when requested the page, that was not available.
Example 2: two almost identical items, same rare brand, almost identical titles one appears in searches, one does not appear, instead, best match offers items NOT related to the category and item type.
Search by ''ending first'' though available, when chosen shows the SAME limited items previously displayed in best match.
Very confusing. This is just my experience. Anyone experiencing this as well?

by: steve

Mon Mar 31 10:10:19 2008

Since best match was implemented I have far fewer "bidding wars" at the end of auctions.  These bidding wars always drove my prices up.  So in essence, if I don't make money eBay doesn't make money so how can this be good for their bottom line.  Best match results are a mess.  I am hoping that this will go down like New Coke did.  If it ain't broke don't fix it, but eBay is always tinkering.  Apparently some folks in management over there have to justify their existent by constantly implementing change.

by: greybeard

Mon Mar 31 10:39:44 2008

No seller wants to hear how much an experienced buyer loves the collapse of eBay search --- these are the best deal days since the late 90's --- the biggest problem is confirming reputable sellers --- this is no place for a new buyer using IE --- which reminds me that the code exploits reported and documented on AuctionBytes should have a prominent place at the top of the AuctionBytes home page.

by: Patricia

Mon Mar 31 12:08:40 2008

"Doesn't eBay realize that some people shop based on how soon something is ending? No, I guess they don't, since we've seen so many examples of how they don't think anything through, or think they know best. "

I certainly agree - but if ebay thought that they would never have done away with Going, Going, Gone!  2004 is when all of the really bad changes began to take place and they haven't stopped since!

by: laura

Mon Mar 31 12:59:22 2008

Steve,
------“Since best match was implemented I have far fewer "bidding wars" at the end of auctions.  These bidding wars always drove my prices up.  So in essence, if I don't make money eBay doesn't make money so how can this be good for their bottom line. “

But----
Do we know for certain just how best match is calculated? Maybe ebay is favoring items that don't have any bids yet. Once your item has a bid it gets a lower priority? I say this because you say that you aren’t seeing the bidding wars.  I know you think it makes more sense to get 43.00 dollars instead of 30.00 for an item, because ebay makes more money on final value fees. But do they really? ebay has nothing invested so they may feel its better to sell more items at lower price (30 *3 sales -and FVF on 90) then to risk losing the sale to an outside market. (Wal-Mart, Amazon). Plus it increases their sell through rates. Their motivations are NOT necessarily in the seller’s best interest. The one thing that seems very apparent to me is that Ebay is motivated towards the buyer and “the buying experience”. But who knows, just could be the bad economy.

by: Beth Cherkowsky

Mon Mar 31 13:10:06 2008

"so they may feel its better to sell more items at lower price (30 *3 sales -and FVF on 90) then to risk losing the sale to an outside market. (Wal-Mart, Amazon). Plus it increases their sell through rates."

Sorry Laura but if eBay thought that, they wouldn't be putting ads on the pages that directly compete with items listed on ebay and which immediately draw buyers away to a different website. From whence they probably never return cause afterall...ebay "didn't have it".

I can only relate my own best match experience (more than once but this is the clearest illustration) of how it's NOT a best match.  So...

My son wants a newer Toyota Camry (newer than 1995) so I went to ebay motors...and searched for 6 Cylinder Toyota Camry.  I got mops, teeshirts, Oldsmobiles, flashlights, etc.  NO cars.  So explain that logic to me? Please cause it totally escapes me.  I've worked with "programmers" and software for 30+ years in every job I ever had.  I never saw such crap.  At those jobs, where I used to think they had no quality control, the programmers writing ebay's code would have been booted to the curb years ago.

Just another sign of how the economy has changed.  When a big employer keeps the dregs employed and tolerates the crap they mess up.

by: laura

Mon Mar 31 13:23:24 2008

Beth,
Sorry, can't comment on the illogic of ebay……I too don’t understand it either, and in fact, I probably do give ebay way too much credit when I try to figure out ANYTHING that they do. I need to start with a premise of utter stupidity and go from there, but that’s no fun.

by: Laura

Mon Mar 31 13:58:13 2008

With all the data available on each and every product sold on the Internet. I don’t believe that “best match” is calculated as simply as they say it is. THAT WOULD BE STUPID!

by: steve

Mon Mar 31 14:19:29 2008

Laura wrote: "Their motivations are NOT necessarily in the seller’s best interest."

Amen to that Laura. Ebay is all about eBay and eBay's needs, not the sellers.  It reminds me of the fable The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg. They are killing the goose.  Don't bite the hand that feeds you eBay. Nothing good lasts forever.  Sellers won't forget how the company has sold them out for the "buyer experience".

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Mar 31 14:46:59 2008

Ebay doesn't care whether their defective programming, incompetent employees, manic executives, consuming greed, or criminal buyers ruin your business or not. THEY DON'T CARE.

Ebay ONLY cares about their stock prices. Their executives don't see small to medium size sellers -- or perhaps any current ebay seller -- as playing much if any role in the reinvented ebay that they're in the process of gloriously creating.

And if anyone needs to have a picture drawn, just consider the content and tone of the ebay employees either assigned to or who voluntarily blog here. They are arrogant, devious, prevaricating, insulting, and condescending, and they're a perfect reflection of how ebay feels about YOU -- e.g, ''whining babies making noise.''

Ebay ONLY cares about that which will improve their stock prices.

Customer service? Oh hell no! Labor costs are the biggest line on corporate ledgers so Wall Street LOVES inadequately staffed customer service departments, layoffs, chronic 'glitchy' programs that cheat sellers out of millions in fees annually, and fee increases.

Can anyone remember a single ebay 'glitch' that benefitted sellers? I can't, but I can remember the hundreds of times these alleged 'glitches' cost sellers money and/or time which ebay refused to refund or reimburse.

The law of probability suggests that when two competing possibilities exist, any benefit that might accrue from genuine 'glitches' will be evenly distributed between sellers and ebay.

Surprise! They don't. They ALWAYS favor ebay, and ebay is NEVER in any hurry to fix many of them. In fact, sometimes it takes years for them to get around to fixing them. Wall Street revels in this kind corporate profit making scheme that can be plausibly explained as a 'glitch.'

Wall Street loves anything that takes money out of our pockets and gives it to ebay.

Ebay will do ANYTHING including statistical manipulation to achieve its goal of improving stock prices.

It's much easier (read cheaper) to manipulate statistics than it is to provide even a mimimally acceptable level of customer service to their real customers, sellers.

Ebay doesn't see sellers as their customers and never has. Nor do they really see buyers as customers.

Ebay sees Wall Street analysts as their customers because it's these idiot savants who uncritically accept, swallow, and disseminate ebay's BS for the purpose in increasing ebay stock value.

Right now, American Express should be at the top of anyone's re education list. These hot shot analysts need to be educated about ebay's listing manipulations and other reporting techniques that might not, shall we say, accurately reflect the actual health of the company.

The fact that so many Wall Street analysts appear to check their common sense at the door deserves investigation itself. The nature of modern sweetheart relationships between analysts and the companies they assess is worthy of a massive government investigation, and one only has to look at the Enron (to name just one corporation analysts raved about nearly to the day they went belly up) disaster to understand why.

EBAY DOESN'T CARE WHETHER YOU SUCCEED OR FAIL. In fact they'll do ANYTHING that will make them money at your expense as exemplified by the Yahoo ads that take people off ebay so they can buy from your competitors.

EBAY ONLY CARES WHETHER EBAY SUCCEEDS OR FAILS, and they see little if any connection between you, the success or failure of your business, and that objective.

They're not the least bit grateful that people like you made ebay successful. The only G word ebay cares about is GREED, and the Donna Hoe and his new vision for ebay personifies all that is corrupt and ethically unacceptable in American business and politics today.

by: Issabella

Mon Mar 31 16:32:01 2008

Ming, so what else is new?

You've explained the ethics of most large businesses in this country, and perhaps the world. I don't think this is anything new. Did you forget that money and power corrupts?

Much of what you refer to is called FRAUD. I can't honestly say I disagree with you. So why has nobody been taken to task? I sure wish I knew.

In the meantime, I'll go back to selling. As with our last spat, things are selling, and as long as I can generate income, that's really all that matters, isn't it?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Mar 31 18:15:46 2008

Here's what passes for 'selling' these days on ebay:

1. Markedly decreased ASPs.
2. Markedly decreased sell through rates
3. Obscene higher and higher fees well above the rate of inflation so ebay can accumluate tons of cash and acquire itself right out of the ''flea market'' business
4. Hidden fee increases in policy changes -- after all, sellers aren't smart enough to figure out when they're being bamboozled by them real smart MBA types
5. Alteration of product descriptions such as the seemingly random disappearance of photos from perhaps as many as 20% of the listings using ebay photo services which decreases the probability your items will sell. Sellers actually selling an item is NOT in ebay's best financial interest.
6. NO customer service or poorly trained, rude, arrogant, forked tongue employees from top to bottom
7. Silicon Valley's most incompetent or dishonest programmers depending on whether the chronic photo problems actually are glitches they're in no hurry to fix or another ebay scheme to cause sellers to have relist and relist and relist which, after all, is more profitable than an actual sale
8. Deliberately cumbersome monthly statements designed to discourage seller audit coupled with ebay's unethical policy of refusing to audit seller accounts when asked
9. Constant violations of the Sherman Anti Trust Act and fair trade practices.

So, Issabella, just keep on selling yourself into eventual bankruptcy.

by: Laura

Mon Mar 31 19:56:26 2008

I find the following statements posted on this blog VERY interesting…

Jeff  “The results make absolutely NO SENSE. Do it twice in a row and the results are different.”

Marty  “Best Match roll out is being somewhat limited to commodity or new products and is in use less in collectibles categories.”

Flora  “Best Match page NEVER gives the same results twice or three times in a row, if repeated, the search starts giving completely irrelevant results of completely different items, possibly those that MUST be showcased for someone's benefit…CONCLUSION: best match is NOT a best match at all”

Steve  “Since best match was implemented I have far fewer "bidding wars" at the end of auctions.”

Graybeard “…..an experienced buyer loves the collapse of eBay search --- these are the best deal days since the late 90's”

Does anyone else see a pattern here?

by: i

Mon Mar 31 20:08:50 2008

No Ming, I'm not ''selling myself into eventual bankruptcy'', I'm doing OK for what I need to do to keep the family going, and the additional fees are really only a few extra dollars a month. When put in perspective, it's just inflation. I don't care about all the other bullshit you seem to. I'm not as angry as you are, in fact, I'm not angry at all. Why are you so angry anyway? There's no reason for it, unless eBay did something to you to make you this angry. Did they ''destroy your business''? Go someplace else then and be happy. Your continual analysis of eBay from your perspective isn't going to change anything.

I'm sure we'll spat again.

Don't bust a gut. Peace.