Sat Mar 29 2008 20:42:00

eBay Confirms Glitches. Rumored 3-P DSR Tool

A seller wrote to AuctionBytes on Friday morning, "woke up this morning to find a neutral that fell off my 30 day chart 4 days ago reappeared on my 30 day chart today." Looking up his User ID, I confirmed that a neutral feedback rating appeared in his 30-day feedback chart, while the last neutral that had been left to him was on February 25 (34 days prior to Friday's date). I checked again Saturday afternoon, and the neutral had disappeared from his 30-day feedback chart.

If this was a glitch, it could explain the complaints some sellers are making about "DSR bombing" on the Buildaskill blog: "Anecdotal comments in eBay UK and other forums are reporting a growing list of sellers commenting on their DSRs taking a very sudden hit."

(Also see comments on this AuctionBytes Blog post about DSRs.)

eBay acknowledged multiple glitches on its Systems Announcement Board on Friday, although it made no specific references to DSRs: "The eBay site is currently experiencing multiple issues. Earlier, members may have seen Feedback reminder notes in the Won section of My eBay. This issue has been resolved. However, items relisted in the last hour or so may appear to have not been relisted, and Page Not Responding errors may also be occurring. Some members may experience other issues as well." eBay pronounced the issues resolved at 9:16 pm Pacific time.

Interestingly, Ed at BuildaSkill also said he heard a rumor that a third-party vendor is working on a tool that would use eBay's APIs to extract date and time of DSR changes, then marry them to the date and times of regular feedback received, "from which can then be determined who left the damaging DSRs, and an approximation of what they were."

eBay Confirms Glitches. Rumored 3-P DSR Tool   eBay Confirms Glitches. Rumored 3-P DSR Tool

by: FURIOUS!!

Sun Mar 30 03:46:10 2008

Gee who would have guessed.  MORE ebay glitches that hurt honest sellers!!!!!  SCREW YOU EBAY!

BOYCOTT MAY 1ST AND BEYOND!!!

NO BUYING/NO SELLING

by: laplaya29

Sun Mar 30 07:57:03 2008

I too noticed this glitch.  I was given a neutral by a buyer and the next day it was gone.  I thought that was weird, but was glad to see it gone, then it re-appeared the next day.

by: Keith

Sun Mar 30 08:49:56 2008

Well should anyone really be surprised?  I don't think so.  This just seems par for the course on eBay's part.  EBay listen up... You need to be fair, courteous and provide REAL HUMAN CUSTOMER SERVICE to the folks that sell on your site.  There is so much ''bad blood'' out here that just about everyone is simply fed up.  I would love to see things revert back to how things used to be and enjoy selling on eBay again.  Oh and regarding the DSR incentive for powersellers I will just wait and see what happens and what level I fall into.

by: Ruth

Sun Mar 30 10:41:10 2008

Ever notice how all these "glitches" are harmful to sellers only? No coincidence, IMO. I was one of the eBay buyers who got that feedback reminder notation. It encouraged me to file a complaint against a seller I had bought something from SIX days ago! How pathetic is that? Stop harassing sellers, eBay, or you'll be looking for another line of work ASAP. Sellers pay your bills, not buyers.

by: Jacob

Sun Mar 30 15:41:20 2008

As sellers we might as well expects these so called ''Glitches'' around incoice (discount) time. I will not be at all suprised to have my DSR's take a dive and therefore be cheated out of my performance discount.
do any of us truly believe the mysterious glitches that always appear at convenient times for eBay are really glitches? Case in point the mysterious glitch that caused a spillover of listings from shopping.com to be on eBay during the boycott. Now a DSR glitch at the end of the month, come on.
why doesn't eBay just hire somone to come to each of the sellers doors and hit them with a baseball bat? I think it would be less painfull.

by: mark

Sun Mar 30 20:11:07 2008

i was one of those that had no additional feedback,but all of a sudden, my star rating dropped by a point in the shipping and handling catagory, no feedback had been left from anyone and it just dropped, moving me from the 15 to 5 percent level.

by: pj

Sun Mar 30 23:12:04 2008

It's not just the DSR'S....it's feedback too!  I have lost (3) feedback (1 at a time...all a different times) over the last month.  I have written Ebay several times about it...got the standard ''we'll get back with you on that'', but nothing has happened to date.  It occurred to me (as I watch my feedback mysteriously disappear), if I couldn't do ANYTHING to stop my feedback from disappearing (that which I could see) then what could be going on with the DSR'S (that which I COULD NOT SEE).  I have said in all the emails that I sent Ebay....I thought I saw incosistencies with the DSR's, but had no way to prove it.  All and all....where is all this money going to that sellers pay in fees???  Certainly not towards good software infrastructure!! Or maybe I'll put on my tinfoil hat and assume it may be more sinister...I wouldn't put anything past Ebay and it's cronies!!

by: Brian

Mon Mar 31 05:56:16 2008

eBay never learns! These problems were so easy to predict. Take a look at my eBay Auction Newsletter dated 31 January, 2008.
80131.htm

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Mon Mar 31 08:52:09 2008

It is amazing to listen to the negativity.  When you research most of the people leaving negative comments, most at not serious sellers, they are just complainers.  Serious sellers expect change, and find ways to keep making money.  It takes too much energy to be negative.  Is you don't like eBay, so somewhere else, or just go away.  The rest of us don't have time to listen to all this moaning and grumbling, we are too busy making money.  Sorry to hear that you don't want to join the bandwagon.  People wake up.

Get POSITIVE, and learn how much more money you can make.

by: LW

Mon Mar 31 09:10:36 2008

The start of feedback DSR's was the start of even more problems for eBay, with more disgruntled sellers.  Now, the coming May 2008 feedback changes takes eBay even further down the slippery slope of becoming more and more involved in the transaction.  This could have negative implications for eBay when it becomes a party to future lawsuits.  eBay is becomming less and less of an "arms length" facilitator of the transactions, and is continuing to look more and more like an employer, by stepping in and giving the buyer positive feedback, while also preventing the seller from leaving negative feedback when occasionally warranted.

Further, bad buyers can keep changing their eBay ID and get past a seller's blocked bidder list.

Fee increases can always be passed on to the buyer, but the feedback changes will do serious damage to a chunk of eBay's future business through the loss of more good sellers.  The tinkering with feedback over the past couple of years should not have penalized the good sellers.

by: Keith

Mon Mar 31 16:41:04 2008

I feel I am a serious seller and I am making money.  It is obvious that as all the changes come into play we will all be making LESS MONEY!  As it stands now Bob I don't see a better alternative to eBay.  But if things continue the way they have over the past couple of years I will jump ship in a heartbeat when something as good or better is available!

by: kathy

Mon Mar 31 16:52:28 2008

Bob

There is a reason why many of us are negative.  I bet the reasons are as varied as they come.  My particular reason comes from the fact I attended a Discussion with Channeladvisor's Scott on eBay.  I tried to get answers about what the plans for the data might be.
I ended up banned by eBay for 7 days.
I still do not know exactly why.  Neither do my store reps.  Trust and safety responded with 8 emails about how to reset my password.  Very helpful (not)
the final possible reason for the ban....I requested answers to my questions in a live discussion.  Silly me.
Due to ''glitches''  My DSR rating has gone from 4.85, to 4.2, then back up to 4.75.
These numbers may not seem important to you, but to a small seller like me it means a big difference in where you show in search.
Being seen = sales

by: Phil

Mon Mar 31 18:06:42 2008

For 24 hours, my total feedbacks (as opposed to unique feedbacks) was lowered by 1,000.
I had a few people go check what I could see was not an old man's eyes, and it wasn't.
24 hours later the correct total feedbacks was back. One can only wonder how such a glitch can occur.
The DSR stars are a crock. And we all know why.
Phil

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Mar 31 18:24:19 2008

@Kathy:

Don't feel bad. I know a seller who lost ALL his Platinum powerseller support for demanding ebay reimburse him for the literally hundreds and hundreds of listings their programming incompetence messed up.

Ebay is a fascist, punitive dictatorship that punishes sellers they don't like (those who try to hold ebay accountable) and suppresses free speech -- most especially when that free speech reveals their unethical if not illegal practices.

Let's start an email campaign to the McCain website telling them that you might have considered donating to his campaign but won't now because of Meg Whitman!

by: Peggy

Mon Mar 31 18:31:47 2008

I'm curious...where are sellers getting their DSR ratios?  I don't see one anywhere in My ebay.  I have about 150+DSRs but no percentage calculation anywhere...what am I missing?

Thanks !

by: Chris

Tue Apr 1 00:02:42 2008

I was eager to log into the DSR Dashboard because I knew I would at least be getting a 5% discount but.... when I logged in it turns out my 30 day scores are 4.9, 4.9, 4.8, 4.5 instead of 4.9, 4.9, 4.8 and 4.6 that shows next to my feedback.

My question is since there is no breakdown of what buyer left what scores how do I know if I have been affected by the glitch? How do I know that ebay has calculated the scores correctly in the first place even without a glitch?

Since sellers will not be able to leave a buyer neutral or negative feedback soon anyway, is there a reason for having the DSR's be anonymous? Does ebay plan on changing that when the no neut/neg feedback starts? There can be no retalitory feedback so what's the point of keeping everything such a secret?

As sellers we have a right to see the breakdown! Especially now, since it affects where our listings rank in search, what discounts we receive or if we are banned from selling altogether.

by: peeved

Thu Apr 3 23:08:49 2008

I lost over 200 feedbacks, but amazingly did not add any. DSR on S/H managed to drop to 4.5 from 4.7. Magic numbers indeed!