Mon Mar 24 2008 12:03:49

eBay Gives Buyers an Incentive to Complain

It appears that eBay is sending coupons to buyers who have left low DSR ratings for sellers or who have filed disputes with sellers.

Some sellers might say eBay is rewarding its worst buyers, those who are picky and complain. But you could reasonably argue that eBay is reaching out to buyers who have had problems to give them an incentive to purchase again from the auction site. (Assuming eBay could differentiate between buyers who have legitimate complaints versus those who are abusive or unreasonable, which is something I don't think that eBay has proven it can do.)

However, the bottom line is that eBay is giving buyers an incentive to give sellers bad ratings and to file complaints. ("Maybe I'll get another coupon if I complain again," they might be thinking.) That surely outweighs any positives that might be gained by such a program.

For that reason, this coupon program gets a thumbs down in my book.

Here's part of a letter I received from a reader about such a coupon he received.

Being both a seller and buyer on ebay I was very concerned with the following email since I did not complain to eBay or PayPal directly regarding any buying transactions. I did however leave POOR DSR's for a seller as the sale was less than favorable on all four counts. Now I receive a 10% off coupon worth up to $100.00 for my next purchase on eBay (see below)..... This is just one more reason that the new feedback system will fail terribly and buyers will be leaving less than favorable DSR's for sellers bringing the power sellers ratings below the thresholds for the incentives offered to them. I guess it is cheaper for ebay to give a coupon to a buyer for not being satisfied than paying a power seller 5-15% for being wonderful... One more reason to leave sellers less than favorable feedback...

eBay Gives Buyers an Incentive to Complain   eBay Gives Buyers an Incentive to Complain

by: Patricia

Mon Mar 24 12:57:24 2008

Just when you figure they can't get any lower or underhanded then they already are....

Ebay is getting desperate.  Sales are down, listings (even the padded ones) are down and they still have not figured out the drop is due to sellers leaving.  Make sellers feel like criminals and unwelcome and they leave - they are ALSO BUYERS and they tend to take their loyal customers with them!  Ebay...deal with the truth as it is for once!

A look at their Feedback Discussion board will tell you that there are nutcases out there just waiting to neg sellers.  Some are already doing it - using BIN and then leaving immediate negs.  What seller needs this - with lower sales on top.  No...Ebay - this WILL NOT WORK!  Honesty and reputable action is the only thing that will work for you now!

BOYCOTT MAY 1

by: Jack

Mon Mar 24 13:15:21 2008

''For that reason, this coupon program gets a thumbs down in my book.''

Ina, thank you for that. Time an industry watchdog took a stand.

Look at the coupon. ''Start Shopping''. Look at the four little pictures. A GPS, a handbag, a laptop, and a shoe.

Is this all eBay is? Of course not. eBay is still MUCH more, but maybe all I'm hearing is true. Maybe eBay really doesn't want a gizmo, a gadget, a cribble-crabble, and a [insert name here] being sold anymore.

Maybe they do want it to be the land or purses, GPS's, shoes, and handbags. NONE of these items I would EVER -EVER- consider buying on eBay. I'd buy them locally.

This is such a bad idea. Will the nightmare ever end?

by: steve

Mon Mar 24 14:20:52 2008

Is there a room full of eBay suits that sit around with nothing more to do than think of additonal ways to sink eBay sellers?

The company has ZERO value for their sellers.

Hello other auction sites and venues, opportunity is knocking and the sounds is deafening.

by: Jerry

Mon Mar 24 14:46:59 2008

The first time I logged into a auction site, other than ebay was Feb.18th. This was done because of ebay's Policy Changes. After 5 years on ebay I'll not go back;
Why lose my profits when I can list Virtually Free on onlineauction.com ?

by: Ted

Mon Mar 24 15:36:05 2008

"Why lose my profits when I can list Virtually Free on onlineauction.com ?"

Jerry, are you actually selling anything at OLA? I checked it out, and there didn't appear to be much action. A lot of listings, no sales. I can't justify spending $8 a month for no return.

by: Greg

Mon Mar 24 15:40:03 2008

When a premium was put on the Buffalo, they were nearly driven to extinction. When Bounties were put on Wolves, they nearly disappeared from the North American Continent. When I though that the human condition had finally gotten past issuing bounties and premiums on precious existence, eBay comes out with a $100.00 Bounty on Sellers who may have made a mistake.

by: Cat

Mon Mar 24 17:18:24 2008

Actually these coupons are not for complaints they were actually sent to a select group of buyers that purchase lots from the site. Similar to Power Seller but the opposite.

by: Wrong!

Mon Mar 24 17:38:08 2008

Yeah these coupons were sent to selected buyers who are regular spender on eBay. I haven't leave any bad DSR for any sellers and I got a coupon. They told me because I am a regular buyer so this is my reward. Stop jumping on the hate wagon!

by: Ryan

Mon Mar 24 17:50:19 2008

Wrong!,

The coupon in question clearly states "We're sorry one of your recent purchases wasn't perfect."  If this was indeed sent to everyone who makes many purchases what does that say about what eBay thinks of its sellers?

I think this probably explains the buyer I had this weekend who filed a SNAD against me two hours after paying and then withdrew it a few minutes later.

by: Nancy

Mon Mar 24 18:27:22 2008

Cat & Wrong!

eBay has been sending out OTHER coupons in an attempt to get back some of the business they've lost recently.

The coupon that this blog is discussing has the header
''We're sorry one of your recent purchases wasn't perfect''

THIS coupon is obviously aimed at buyers who have complained about a transaction.
It opens up a whole new scam for the less than honest buyers.
Even if there is nothing wrong with their transaction, they'll file complaints through eBay against the sellers in order to try to get one of these coupons.

Another (not) wonderful idea, eBay......

Thanks again to Ina and David, you do a great job keeping everyone updated on all the fun changes on eBay !!

by: jsicolts

Mon Mar 24 18:38:47 2008

We got one of those silly coupons recently and are mostly SELLERS not buyers.

by: horsemama

Mon Mar 24 19:11:55 2008

I think I must throw up now......

by: Patricia

Mon Mar 24 19:30:52 2008

Calm down everyone...remember when you start to understand Ebay's logic then your sanity is in question!  As long as you don't understand it you are perfectly sane...

by: rtheyfinishedyet?

Mon Mar 24 20:04:04 2008

OMG some of you are so blinded by your own cheerleading, it nauseating!

It clearly says ''We're sorry one of your resent purchases wasn't perfect''

What part of that do you NOT understand??????

And if this is not bad enough, look at the ''ways'' to redeem this offer!

In particular, #2

Even more of an incentive to rip off a seller.

Wow, it just keeps on getting better every day.

Reward the scam buyers for trashing a seller's reputation, unwarrented & then handing (or forcing) them yet another source to scam the sellers on Ebay!

I believe in Karma, both good & bad & I believe Ebay will get their just dues...

Unbelievable!

by: BeBopDeluxe

Mon Mar 24 20:22:16 2008

Ebay slides further down it's slippery slope......Even with the brouhaha they've created for themselves regarding feedback and withholding PayPal funds, they still step further into the muck and mire and now are rewarding grumpy buyers with discounts whether or not the buyer was justified in their less than perfect assessment of a transaction.  On top of this they are coercing sellers regarding shipping costs and forcing Ebay UK sellers to offer PayPal........astounding!  The ebay "powers that be" must have testicles the size of basketballs and brains the size of Tic Tacs! Their antics become more ridiculous every day!

by: Chris

Mon Mar 24 20:27:13 2008

"Now let's talk about you..."

Oh puhleez!  If I recieved this coupon I would be offended.

DSRs=opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

by: BeBopDeluxe

Mon Mar 24 20:31:43 2008

And........with the new tactic of hiding bidders user IDs they are also making shill bidding more likely and can pad listings to make it appear as though there is more activity on their site than there actually is.....brainless twits!

by: Devlin Black

Mon Mar 24 20:42:11 2008

The only way to be able to continue to sell on eBay is for sellers to join together.  Join the Online Bidder Blacklist - for information  - go to website www.bidderblacklist.com

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Mon Mar 24 22:07:03 2008

I got the same coupon and it says thanks for shopping at eBay on the top. These are normally sent out randomly by eBay all of the time. It is nothing new.

Bill

by: dawhip

Mon Mar 24 22:34:52 2008

Well that's great Bill.  Glad you had a successful shopping experience, but this coupon was for a buyer who didn't.  And since DSR's are subjective, let's just give the buyers more incentive to play russian roulette with DSRs.

Hmmm, let's see, do I leave a bad DSR or a good DSR this time.  I wonder which one wili get me that 10% coupon.  eeny meeny, miney, mo...

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]