Sat Mar 22 2008 00:03:24

Users Report PayPal Debit Cards Being Declined

A reader wrote to ask if we had heard of a PayPal glitch on March 20th. After trying to use the card at several stores unsuccessfully because the card was declined, she called PayPal. "After about 20 MINUTES on HOLD a lady told me that there was a glitch and the bank funds were not being accessed as they normally would be. She said they'd had LOTS of calls and were "making a list" of those that were affected. Not too encouraging, in my opinion. I questioned the "list" process and she quickly said, "Oh, we know we don't have to just fix those that are on the list, but we have a list of names that we will be sure to address. We hope to have this fixed by tomorrow" (today)."

This problem sounded familiar, so I checked the PayPal discussion board and found something from early March: "Paypal denying debit card transactions for vague security reasons."

Also found this thread started on March 20: "Paypal Debit Cards NOT ACTIVATED ... Can't use them!"

Users Report PayPal Debit Cards Being Declined   Users Report PayPal Debit Cards Being Declined

by: Cliff Aliperti

Sat Mar 22 03:07:09 2008

I haven't had the chance to encounter this problem yet, but it does put a queasy feeling in my gut for my next swipe of the card.

As of right now PayPal is apparently down--it's pretty late, so possibly it's maintenance, but there's no message regarding that, just an error page like it doesn't exist.

I thought I was on my own, but there's some chatter on the eBay boards about it:
t=0

Hopefully
it's back up soon, I'm trying to print shipping labels before bed...right now it's looking like a late night + an early morning.

by: Cliff Aliperti

Sat Mar 22 03:32:59 2008

That issue I mentioned appears fixed at 3:30 am EST.

I just realized I used my PayPal debit card earlier this evening for an online purchase without a hitch.  Apparently I'm not one of the "lucky" folks on the list (which sounds pretty scary!)

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Mar 22 06:18:08 2008

Last weekend, my PayPal debit card was declined twice -- once when I tried to pay ebay fees and unrelated web transaction.

I emailed my PayPal account rep immediately thinking I'd have to wait until Monday morning to even begin resolving the problem.

Someone at PayPal, however, was reading the emails over the weekend because less than 24 hours later I was able to pay the ebay fees and card was accepted on second transaction when they ran it through again.

On Monday my PayPal rep told me that PayPal was restricting use for "security" purposes. He/she also stated she told that my card was "new" and I hadn't activated it yet. My rep checked and sure enough she'd been lied to by a fellow PayPal employee. My card wasn't "new" and had indeed been activated.

Frankly, I've had nothing but trouble with PayPal debit cards since I got one. The only thing that eliminated the constant card declinations was the threat of a lawsuit, and PayPal knew I'd do it.

My PayPal rep also said that these are "smart" cards and that they "learn" how you use them which ultimately leads to fewer card rejections.

If this is case, then they should replace every PayPal and ebay employee with a "smart" card.

by: J

Sat Mar 22 13:22:05 2008

I've never had a problem using my PP debit card. I've had it for years. Granted I don;t use it daily, or all that often, but never a problem. I also don't have much of a recognizable ''pattern of use'' that a computer could ''learn from''. The card may be used once one month for a few bucks, then $400 drawn out of an ATM another month (twice), then site idle, then pay for postage, etc. Never had trouble.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sat Mar 22 17:47:13 2008

Cliff,
Sure enough there's an announcement on the Systems Board that there was an accessibility problem this morning.

by: John

Sat Mar 22 19:35:01 2008

I had no problem using my PP debit card on Thursday (2 times), once yesterday, Friday and used twice today. All transactions were used offline. Had the card for yeas and I never had any problems.

by: Seichiro Exposed

Sun Mar 23 01:03:37 2008

Looks like someone has a thing for Ina

by: me2

Mon Mar 24 16:03:23 2008

Have not used debit card this past week. ''Security reasons?'' Maybe eBay gave Paypal their crystal ball for the 21 day hold when they threw it to Paypal like a hot potato.  Last year my automatic Paypal Webtv payment was declined by MSN.. Said they were no longer taking PAYPAL Mastercards as there was a problem. It eventually was resolved apparently.  You can be considered a ''security risk'' for any legal (or illegal) contrived reason. eBay minor listing rules can be  parlayed into ''against eBay policy'' =''security risk.'' This allows eBay to fully control Paypal and share their fascist-like aplication of policy.  Is Paypal accountable to any Fed agency or only their master? When are any of those Sherman Anti-Trust class actions coming up?

by: Jeff

Wed Mar 26 11:00:21 2008

Many users have been receiving a valid email from Paypal stating their cards have been deactivated due to a security breach.  A lot of this has to do with the Hannafords credit card breach and the Sweetbay incident.  More can be found here:

ch_affecting_paypal.htm