Fri Mar 21 2008 08:25:18

eBay Launches Feedback Extortion Policy

eBay Marketplace prez Lorrie Norrington posted an announcement on Thursday in part to help sell the controversial feedback changes coming in May. Norrington said that it is up to sellers to report incidents of feedback extortion from buyers, and when eBay identifies a pattern of abuse or the evidence is clear from seller reports, eBay will remove the negative or neutral feedback retroactively.

Norrington also said eBay will also remove seller negs and neutrals retroactively in cases where sellers have claimed Unpaid Item reports but where the buyer has not specifically called out poor seller performance, item condition or transaction problems. This was an issue sellers raised during the recent IMA conference where they said deadbeat buyers respond to UPI claims saying they would pay, but never would, leaving sellers with 2 choices: eat the eBay fees on sales that weren't actually completed, or risk receiving a negative feedback from the buyer. (Both options cost sellers real dollars one way or the other.)

Do these changes affect the way sellers feel about the coming feedback changes, now less than 2 months away?

Norrington also announced that the eBay Expanded Seller Protection program is now available (sellers must enroll in the program). Here's part of an email I received from a seller about the program:

Read through the Power Seller discussion boards, quite a few people got the invite, and couldn't get the sign-up to work, others never got the invite, but were able to get in?? Conversation I had with one gal at pay-pal told me that this entire announcement was made the same day pay-pal found OUT about it. And since they switched processors about a week ago, that held things up even longer!

I'm thinking this is what happens when you hire many YOUNG people to run your company. I wish I could convince myself that I'm worng about that, but aprroximately half the time, it seems no one knows what's going on over there.

Thursday's full announcement can be found here.

eBay Launches Feedback Extortion Policy   eBay Launches Feedback Extortion Policy

by: PAYPAL STINKS

Fri Mar 21 08:49:26 2008

they still have a lot more work to do.

Yesterday (march 20, 2008), i received a charge back from a sale on NOVEMBER 7th, 2007 !!!!

by: disgruntled ebayer

Fri Mar 21 08:58:28 2008

DONT LEAVE FEEDBACK ON ANY SALES. OR ANYTHING YOU BUY FOR THAT MATTER. It is not mandatory. We state on every listing we have Negative and Neutral Feedback for shipping & handling charges ARE IGNORED.

by: Barbara

Fri Mar 21 09:09:24 2008

I think this is a bad thing waiting to happen. Ebay is getting carried away by its own doctrines.
There is no equality with this new program, and they need to remember that we are sellers and without us, they are nothing. And yes without the buyers we are nothing.
But to put this type of conditions knowing that there are bad buyers who will do that and will get away with it is against sound doctrine.
When they continue to lose their sellers and power sellers to other auction sites, maybe then they will realize how unfair they are to the sellers. This is just my opinion, and its not to anger or upset anyone, just shedding a little light on how I feel personally.

by: ideas-woman

Fri Mar 21 09:09:47 2008

I made complaints in detail numerous times that negative feedback was given that did not even relate to the purchase yet was allowed by eBay. I even was placed on restriction because of it. I would hope that I can apply [AGAIN] to have two negative feedbacks removed when I have evidence to prove in my favour of extortion.

It is a real shame that sellers in the past have not been able to state their case as eBay only ever had deaf ears to our [the sellers] side of the story!

by: Clyde Kadiddlehopper

Fri Mar 21 09:12:46 2008

Quote:

''Norrington also said eBay will also remove seller negs and neutrals retroactively in cases where sellers have claimed Unpaid Item reports but where the buyer has not specifically called out poor seller performance, item condition or transaction problems.''

What Norrington has just done is create a loophole in the system and planted the idea to dishonest buyers on how to hijack the system. She has just told dishonest buyers what they need to do to get around the feedback extortion and UPI process. That being, to LIE, and say that YOU, the seller, had ''poor seller performance, item condition or transaction problems''.

Good going Lorrie!

by: angry seller

Fri Mar 21 09:14:44 2008

too little - too late.  ebay is still a hostile environment for sellers.  i just had a npb.  takes 10 days before you can report it - even though MY terms and conditions require payment in 3 days... then you wait another 8 days before the fvf is granted.  and WE won't be able to warn other sellers in the future of this persons behavior...  i think ebay will be hurt.  it will take some time but eventually they will see seller attrition.  i have already signed up with 3 other auctions sites.  eventually one of them may take off

by: Steve

Fri Mar 21 09:16:46 2008

I can't get Ebay customer service to respond to anything important so why on earth would I believe that they would do anything about this? When they do respond it is with a scripted message from a CSR robot. Disputes are always decided in the buyers' favor, NARUS' (no longer registered users) negative feedback sticks in many cases, and Ebay goes radio silent on requests by honest sellers to have restrictions removed from their accounts (the esteemed VERO program).
 If history is any indication, I doubt very seriously if anything will change.   I would love to believe differently.  I would love to see Ebay do something to re-ignite seller trust, but based on the events of the past year I'll need to see some action instead of a press release with intentions that may not be honored.

by: Stylephyle

Fri Mar 21 09:21:44 2008

This is getting like kindergarten where everyone gets a trophy (among buyers, that is!) I just got a neg from a NPB that I had bid struck, then they came back and paid. It used to be policy once a bid strike was entered, they couldn't leave FB. Guess the motive is sellers should eat the fees incurred b/c of NPBs so ebay doesn't have to give credit!

by: Dave

Fri Mar 21 09:24:37 2008

Give me a break eBay, enough of the smoke screen! Lorrie Norrington states ''To make it perfectly clear, let me say that there is no place on eBay for anyone who abuses our community, flouts our marketplace policies and willfully harms other members,'' to which I counter I have so many examples of how these issues were and are ignored that it is laughable. eBay can't or -won't- handle matters inspite of having it spelled out word by word for them, and that is from feedback to provable picture theft. It is a good laugh eBay ! A really good laugh... What planet is Lorrie on?

by: Paul

Fri Mar 21 09:28:30 2008

Another band-aid on top of a bandage on top of a self-inflicted wound!

There should be NO feedback from non-paying bidders.

by: Beth Cherkowsky

Fri Mar 21 09:38:53 2008

Except Lorrie Norrington is obviously not authorized to offer that expanded protection from Paypal because the link says "sorry you're not eligible" when I try to sign up. AND my husband's Paypal account, (he's not registered on ebay at all...) was offered and he accepted. What sense does that make?
Beth

by: Peggy

Fri Mar 21 09:41:43 2008

Why doesn't eBay set up a feedback system for Lorrie and the rest of the team....let everyone know how frequently as well as incompetently they handle these feedback problems-case by case feedback for her. How would she like her job to depend on her performance appeasing the sellers--instead of the management. Sellers have no REAL recourse in this situation-eBay suppresses the truth if it isn't profitable for them.

by: Paul

Fri Mar 21 09:43:00 2008

''This means that if you are enrolled, you can sell and ship physical goods to any address your customer chooses - a confirmed address is not necessary - in any of the 190 countries PayPal serves.''

Of course you must use express mail to 189 of those countries, which is prohibitedly expensive for most items.

Nice headline, no substance.

by: Yeah right!

Fri Mar 21 10:04:53 2008

Ebay never fixes problems.  They just issue press releases.  They don't care about sellers. They have proven that.  They just want to pump up their numbers and look good to stockholders as long as they can.

The game is over.  Meg ruined eBay and Donahoe inherited a mess.  So, issue press releases all you want.  That won't repair the damage done to eBay.

When Romney dropped out, Meg jumped over to McCain.  She's a rich, political social climber who'd sacrifice her first-born child if it enhanced her status or increased her bank account.

Maybe Califoria deserves to have her as their next Governor.  She can issue a press release a day about something.

by: Gustapo-Headquarters

Fri Mar 21 10:15:28 2008

What good is an ebay policy when they do not follow them anyways?

Alas, now with the admitted 5 Billion dollars in they're ebay vault they see it vitally important to throw 125 ebay employees back onto the street. ''But that's the American way isn't it'' Or will this in some way help customer service? Who's shitting who?

This company has weak leadership, and it continues past the Witman era.

It is now more apparent than ever that the brains running ebay are no more anept at running a company, than a teenager with a lemonade stand.

Politics, suckholes, azz kissing, what a filthy mess it must be working at ebay central nowadays! Proof positive that it takes more money, than it does brains, to run a large corporation.

Ebay feedback extortion is real, it is happening in suttle ways already, and now it appears that the sellers must tackle another obstacle, to the already complicated selling process.

How many powersellers can afford to chase after every customer, and hold their hand, like they're a 2 year old?

How many can afford to chase after NPB bidders that do not pay the seller 1 red cent, yet drain my time, having to read ridiculous emails from them about jibberish, with alot of hand holding. Then you've got to turn around and fight ebay to keep them out of your bloody pockets, or they'll steal you blind with they're ''automatic systems'', yet it takes me ''real time'' to keep corporate ebay from stealing my money. That's a great ebay policy!

Here is an email I got from a buyer very recently -

''insistance on pay pal spoiled sale /i use shop safe/more advanced---does not reveal larger cash data base--u r the first to spoil my buys ---reply''

It's more crazy than ever, and this was from a buyer with zero feedback! I've had 2 buyers that bought 4 or more auctions, with no intention of even paying me, then I've got to chase these poeple around to keep ebay out of my pocket, or damaging my hard earned reputation??

It's a crazy system, and just like the political system in this country, their is a right way to do things, and then their is ''what really happens''.

''Ebay is going to do a better job with customer service'' How many times have I heard that false statement? I could count at least a dozen, just on one hand!

Leaving the feedback system up to ebay to monitor is like leaving the front door of your house wide open, and then leaving home for a month. It could work, but will it? Probably not, but you try it first, I'd rather not.....

Gustapo Headquarters

by: logan

Fri Mar 21 10:17:50 2008

There is no reason to believe this will actually be done.

This is a change that should have been implemented years ago, and certainly needed to be done before sweeping feedback changes as planned in May.

Ebay lies about everything they say they're going to do and my trust is 100% shot.

Their announcements are always fluff and crap.

I've been very happy with my business since moving away from Ebay!

by: Gaz

Fri Mar 21 10:25:30 2008

Hi Ina
Nice to see some cynicism creeping into the blog at last.  Lorrie's announcement was one of the most blatent examples of ambiguity and spin-doctoring in years on the eBay announcements board, and almost managed to top Bill Cobb's & JD's announcements in Washington about the "fee decreases" - almost.

To see what I mean, you'll need to read the incisive questions asked by Ed over on the BuildaSkill.com/blog.

I'd also like to ask if anyone has seen the seller dashboard thing in their My eBay yet?

I still can't see it on either my UK or my US accounts.

Gaz

by: Annie

Fri Mar 21 10:29:02 2008

Too bad that Ebay can't see to get their rules ane changes correct.

They seem to shoot from the hip and and then wipe their hands and go on their merry old way.

The problems with bad buyer and yes bad sellers have existed for a very long time.  Ebay instead of removing them buyers and seller have let them continue on.

Now that quite a few sellers are looking for other alternatives, it is to late.

I don't have faith in this company and I certainly don't like how things are setup against sellers.

by: greta

Fri Mar 21 10:52:54 2008

eBay has long lost their integrity, in life and business they are basic requirements.  we can see the wizard behind the curtain and in this case, his ill intent.

ebay has done something wonderful, they have created opportunities for other companies to emerge who have welcomed buyers and sellers with appreciation and customer service (ebay never got that concept).  esty, online auctions, ioffer, overstock to name a few.  ebay has spun off their very own company to others and will not survive to the level that will be demanded by stockholders and the marketplace.

in the meantime......

~ JOIN THE eBay BOYCOTT ~

Find your State or International Location folder and join us.  Be informed!

A place to organize.
A place to unite.
A place to focus.
United we stand, Divided we fall.

Boycott Victoriously …..while making noise!

Evacuate by May 1, 2008!

by: John Smith

Fri Mar 21 10:55:01 2008

I have terrible fb on ebay (96%) from buyers and guess what, I still get premium  and sometimes insane prices for my wares. Go figure. I could care less if eBay acts like a bunch of soup nazis.

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]