Fri Mar 14 2008 15:54:09

eBay CEO Meg Whitman Switches to McCain Camp

Republican Presidential candidate John McCain issued the following press release announcing that eBay CEO Meg Whitman is joining his campaign as national co-chair. Whitman had been co-chair for Mitt Romney's campaign until he dropped out of the race, and Whitman is rumored to be considering a run for governor in her home state of California.

ARLINGTON, VA - U.S. Senator John McCain's presidential campaign today announced that Meg Whitman, president and CEO of eBay, will join John McCain's team, serving as national co-chair. Whitman will play a lead role in the McCain campaign. In addition to helping with finance activity, Whitman will be a prominent surrogate for John McCain, travel the country on his behalf, and help the campaign with policy development.

Under Whitman's leadership since March 1998, eBay has grown from a start-up with 30 employees and $4 million in revenue to a Fortune 500 company with nearly 15,000 employees and almost $8 billion in revenue. The company has enjoyed more than 40 consecutive quarters of sequential revenue growth since its initial public offering in September 1998. Perhaps most significantly, more than a million people around the world make all, or part of their living on eBay.

"I'm honored that Senator McCain has asked me to become a part of his campaign," said Meg Whitman. "America needs John McCain's courageous leadership. His unshakable commitment to lower taxes, strong trade, and innovation sets the right course for America's economy and future prosperity. I'm enormously excited to be a part of his team and believe in his vision for our country."

John McCain thanked Whitman, stating, "I am honored to have the support of such a distinguished and recognized business leader. Meg will play a key role in our victory in November. I am pleased she will be actively involved in my campaign and look forward to her leadership and guidance throughout the coming year."

Among Whitman's many accolades in recent years, The Wall Street Journal named Whitman one of the 50 women to watch in 2005 and 2006; Fortune consistently ranked her among the top three most powerful women in business; and BusinessWeek included Whitman on its list of the best business managers from 2000 through 2004. Whitman is also one of the few women to have been consecutively ranked (2004 and 2005) among the world's most influential people by Time Magazine.

Prior to eBay, Whitman served in executive leadership positions at Hasbro Inc., Stride Right Corporation, Florists Transworld Delivery (FTD), and the Walt Disney Company. Whitman also worked for eight years at Bain & Company's San Francisco office where she was a vice president. Whitman began her career in 1979 at Procter & Gamble.

In January 2008, Whitman announced that she would step down as president and CEO of eBay on March 31, 2008. She will remain on the eBay Board of Directors and continues to serve on the Board of Directors of Procter & Gamble, DreamWorks Animation, and the eBay Foundation.

Whitman received a Bachelor of Economics from Princeton University and a Master of Business Administration from Harvard Business School. Whitman and her husband, Griffith R. Harsh IV, live in California and have two sons.

eBay CEO Meg Whitman Switches to McCain Camp   eBay CEO Meg Whitman Switches to McCain Camp

by: Kal

Fri Mar 14 16:40:18 2008

For every campaign contribution, she'll take 8.75% of the first $25, 3.75% of the amount from $25.01 to $1000, and 1.5% of anything over $1000. Should work out Real well there Meg.

I pity you people in California if she's elected Governor.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Mar 14 16:45:55 2008

McCain's completely out of touch if he believes the addition of this woman to his staff will enhance his campaign.

Quite the opposite. He's now off my short list. Sounds like Mittens, though, may be on McCain's short list of VP candidates.

One can hope she does for McCain's campaign what she did to ebay. I know I certainly don't want her as secretary of anything if he gets elected, perish the thought.

Clueless McCain and Radioactive Meg (when the SEC completes its investigation) -- the perfect elitist Republican couple.

by: Patricia

Fri Mar 14 17:16:03 2008

Gosh...even the republican party doesn't deserve Meg LOL  I double dare her to run for governor here....I'll have everybody out banging on doors and spreading the word about her.  She best go on to something else - like counting her billions!

by: Unleashed Seller

Fri Mar 14 17:26:16 2008

Come on now. I am a critic of todays changes at Ebay, but Ebay under Meg was not bad for me or my company. You have to pick and choose your battles. I was able to leave my 9 to 5 under Meg and make a nice income.

I think sellers who bash 100% of everything Ebay does, lose credibility in a big way. The company obviously did something right under Meg. The new CEO has big shoes to fill and alot to prove.

I am not crazy about the changes that are going to implemented soon, but this is techically under the new CEO not Meg.

by: Another Wronged Seller

Fri Mar 14 17:45:21 2008

Lets see....

Higher fees now = higher taxes later

Will voters in CA be able to leave nothing but positive comments for the governer or nothing at all?

Maybe it will be california sellers that she alienated that will cast the deciding vote on whether she gets voted in or not. How fair would that be?

Perhaps californians can start a Governer non performance policy (GNP) and rate the governer on performance but not tell her the criteria.

Seriously, If I lived in California She would be the absolute last person I would vote for!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Mar 17 05:01:23 2008

Why has ebay sent SOME members 10% off coupons while others haven't received them?

What lame explanation does ebay have for this?

by: Fr*k

Mon Mar 17 08:36:02 2008

Actually, she'll probably be a great asset!  Look how she was able to fleece eBay sellers over and over and over again while still increasing the number of fleecies (?) AND keeping the board and shareholders happy!  ...pretty sharp gal!  I wish to God she'd do something with her hair, though!

I wonder of the news folks can breakdown the eBay sellers as a separate demographic?  ''...however, exit polls are showing HUGE numbers of eBay sellers favor Obama boosting his lead over Hillary Clinton...''   ;-)

~fr*k

by: Beth

Mon Mar 17 08:59:04 2008

Oh my...
I can't see how anyone would consider her a political asset, unless it is tied directly to the checkbook.

McCain already did enough damage to his own rep, without bringing on someone that so many people despise.

From 30 emps to 15,000?  Sounds like a trainload of middle management, outsourcing and otherwise needless payroll drains. eBay surely does not provide service befitting such a large emp base. It also continues to explain the constant changes, how one dept never knows what the other one is doing, and why sellers are seeing more and more of their sales go to the eBay pot....

There's not a chance in the whole wide world I'd vote for anything Ms. Whitman is involved in.  She's left a trail of glutted corporate middle mgmt, higher consumer prices and lower product quality every place she has worked. But hey, since the shareholders are happy, and her salary is huge, let's look the other way.  NOT!!

Mr. McCain, what are you thinking??

by: RMP

Mon Mar 17 09:07:15 2008

Ah.....how I miss eBay circa 2001-2003.  It used to be so much fun!

by: Laura

Mon Mar 17 09:59:14 2008

That makes so much sense, especially since she ruined ebay by courting sweatshops and raising fees to so high a level that people can't afford to keep shops or list there. I should have figured she was a Republican. Let's hope she doesn't manage to help to further ruin the entire country's economy as well.  What she did at ebay was bad enough.

by: Alice

Mon Mar 17 15:18:04 2008

WOW! I have always had nothing but admiration for Meg Whitman! I am a long-time businesswoman myself, and can understand in a small way, the value of her intelligence & talents. I wonder at all the criticism, whether any of the critics could have handled her enormous responsibilities; especially so smoothly , confidently & pleasantly.
I have been a full time eBay Seller since 1998. Agree or disagree with their policies & decisions, I have always fully agreed with their RIGHT to institute them. In so many words: eBay owns the company; they get to make the rules!
Times change, people change, so live with it or leave it!
My best wishes to Meg!

by: donc314

Mon Mar 17 16:18:55 2008

Unfortunately Meg's new idea to a have a plank added to the Republican campaign requiring that any voters who do not maintain a 95% or better feedback ratio over any 90 day period  have their citizenship revoked is viewed with some suspicion by former eBay sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Mar 17 17:33:34 2008

Oh, Geez, another ebay love it or leave type aka another brainwashed ebay employee who sells a couple of items a month.

Ebay belongs to the stockholders, not to ebay management or ebay employees. It's unfortunate that in this in day of selecting friends, patsies, and the ethically blind to serve serve on corporate Boards (see interlocking directorships and other corporate schemes to manipulate Boards) that the ebay Board is a rubber stamp for management rather than actually representing the interests of shareholders.

So, Ms. Businesswoman, ebay collectively belongs to anyone who owns ebay stock (although that's no longer such a great idea), and many ebay sellers have in the past or currently do own stock.

Corporations are indeed entitled to run themselves as they see fit as long as they abide by government regulations, federal laws pertaining to interstate commerce, and to fair trade practices.

Ebay oftens fails in each of these areas, and the only thing standing in the way between them and a massive government investigation is a Republican administration that ignores corporate corruption and malfeasance.

Ms. Whitman's crowning achievement was her swan song in which the lives and businesses of widows, retirees, single mothers, disabled persons, and other whose livelihoods depended on ebay are in utter chaos if not ruination.

Way to go, Meg and Bill! They brought this on by their failure to develop sound long term strategies relying instead on constant fee increases which they masqueraded as growth while, in fact, ebay was in trouble. Neither of them could ever see beyond the next quarterly earnings report.

What you find so praiseworthy about this individual or her tenure at ebay eludes me entirely.

Whitman ruined ebay which is why the vulture Donna Hoe is circling over the heads of so many good ebay sellers.

by: BB

Mon Mar 17 18:01:45 2008

The below is something that maybe we will see soon if we subscribe to eBay announcements

Hi Everyone, this is Monica Brodsky from the eBay Public Affairs Facility Department of Political Spinology, and do I have some great news for you. Meg Whitman, our Former CEO, besides receiving a handsome consulting fee after retiring, has embarked on a new political venture, and we want each and everyone of you eBayers to know about it. Meg has turned in her CEO stripes for a John McCain Political Button. Whoppee!!! We at eBay are so excited. In fact we are really happy too. That means Meg won't be using her parking space too much!!! This is a very special announcement, and we wanted to share it with you all, before you read about it in the major newspapers. I hope you are excited as we at San Jose is. Of course each eBayer has there own political preferences- but since Meg is still one of Us. We wanted you know!

by: Alice

Tue Mar 18 05:31:50 2008

No, No, Mr. Ming. You underestimate me...I am a Senior citizen, I list and sell 100's of items on eBay monthly, and am a PowerSeller.
No ruination here: I own my home, have a new VW Diesel Beetle amd also own the world's most beautiful cat!  All this & more, as a result of hard work and the availability of the world-wide site eBay!
Meg Whitman inspires me; you do not!

by: Patricia

Tue Mar 18 14:30:11 2008

to unleashed seller - I'm happy to hear you were pleased and prospered under Meg's reign...although her reign ultimately led to her cohort Donahoe.  Maybe even Meg just doesn't have the stomach for what he is doing to ebay!  Yes, I have nothing good to say about the woman...Skype and China keep getting in the way!  I don't seem to be alone in this...you, on the other hand, seem to be in the minority in your opinion

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Mar 18 23:58:57 2008

Alice:

If your idea of inspiration is Meg Whitman, then you're someone I wouldn't want to know.

No one said that there aren't sellers doing well on ebay. But they're in the minority. If you are as self described and if your list of riches is due to ebay, then congratulations.

When someone says they are "inspired" by Meg Whitman, this is what "inspires" them:

--unbridled greed
--the theft of millions from sellers by 'buggy' software
--policy manipulations
--other nefarious and often concealed means
--the theft of platforms that belonged to other corporations
--long term tolerance of blatant and easly recognizable fraud
--incompetently conceived and poorly administered seller policies that created far, far more problems that they corrected
--the world's WORST customer service
--policies of consistently lying to sellers

I could go on and on. I doubt, however, that any of the above or any others would have any impact on someone who finds Meg Whitman and her 'accomplishments' so inspirational.

Meg Whitman's business philosophy is fundamentally amoral.

Is that how YOU run YOUR ebay business?

by: Joy

Wed Mar 19 22:41:53 2008

Meg for McCain?
Good news for Barack and Hillary!

by: Clyde Kadiddlehopper

Thu Mar 20 07:33:31 2008

Ming: are you a seller, either on eBay or elsewhere? You seem very bitter.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Mar 20 13:48:49 2008

I might be a seller, I might be a buyer, I might be neither, or I could be both.

Bitter is a word that is meaningless in business terms. If the statement of a little truth as to how ebay operates translates into bitter for you, then WHATEVER.

How's this? Ebay is ravenous school of piranhas that strips most of the profit from the producers (sellers) leaving the producer with virtually nothing in many cases while these parasites 'retire' from their jobs having accumulated 1.2 billion in wealth made on the backs of sellers.

And that's the bitter and the sweet of it.