Thu Feb 28 2008 22:40:04

eBay Tests Split-Screen Search Results

eBay has been showing investors a prototype of a split-screen search results page that shows auctions and fixed-price listings on one page. Today I experienced this live on eBay.com - probably as a random test. An article is going into Friday's Newsflash article that describes this in more detail. (Here's the link.)

What do you as a buyer and as a seller think of this new display?

by: mindelec

Fri Feb 29 00:47:44 2008

it looks "ok"  depending on how many items are shown on the page AND how the whole "best match" thing works or doesn't work.

by: Nathan

Fri Feb 29 01:41:38 2008

Interesting,

I would be interested to see what the results of this testing is as it offers less real estate space for listing display, and I would think a slightly more confusing display of products.

by: jsicolts

Fri Feb 29 05:58:51 2008

More awful news from sleezebay. Is there a DISCOUNT for sellers & buyers who can stomache a split screen?

by: Kal

Fri Feb 29 08:39:08 2008

sigh. the Troll is back. jsicolts, why don't you just leave and go to all the other sites you profess are so much better. What ''awful'' news is a split screen? Why should a seller qualify for a discount. My God, quit the bitching.

eBay Tests Split-Screen Search Results   eBay Tests Split-Screen Search Results

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Fri Feb 29 09:44:22 2008

I hope everyone can give their opinion here without being insulted. :)

The nice thing about this new layout are the tabs at the top: List view; Gallery view; Snapshot view; Side-by-side view. So you can switch to the more traditional layout if you like. Which one should be the default is debatable, of course.

If eBay would serve up auction results with Time Ending Soonest, bring back price sort without the shipping (or at least add it as an option), and perhaps have category-based policies and pricing, that would be interesting.
Ina

by: decadentindulgences.com

Fri Feb 29 09:47:33 2008

I've seen the new split screen and so far I like it - mainly because in certain categories my items came up at the top of the fixed price listins. :)

I can see where there will be a lot of grousing over the positioning of listings with this tool.

On the page I've seen on the fixed price side it said "Best Buys"

eBay Tests Split-Screen Search Results   eBay Tests Split-Screen Search Results

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO Leeflang Archives Corp.

Fri Feb 29 09:57:18 2008

The auction model will remain the only model where a seller can get 'temporary high visibility' because of the 'end time/date' sorting.

He will often be invisible in the Buy Now screen, as that sorts with the irrational 'Best Match' method.

Conclusion: Ebay first causes a visibility problem and then 'solves' it for those sellers by offering a solution, at a price of course.

by: torch

Fri Feb 29 09:58:24 2008

I think it makes the site a bit clumsy to navigate and takes longer to scan listings. IF this is integrated with BEST MATCH, it will take even longer to find what you are looking for....the downward spiral continues for them.

by: Laura

Fri Feb 29 10:09:17 2008

@Peter Leeflang
"Looks like Ebay has found another way to drive sellers to the auction model instead of the store model, in the meantime collecting more fees."

I interpreted it as Ebay’s attempt to do the exact opposite; to drive it to a store model.

by: CC

Fri Feb 29 11:09:08 2008

I think change is hard to deal with and many people's first reaction  to it is to dis it. But change happens - it's a part of life.
My first reaction to the split screen format is very positive and I think buyers will really like it (once they get past that 'change is negative' mindset).
As a seller, I like the fact that my fixed price items will be brought to the buyer's attention.  I'm still a little leery about how Best Match will work, so I have some homework to do, to make it work for me.

by: persiaa

Fri Feb 29 12:46:02 2008

Only if they give us a choice to turn it off.  It's way too distracting for me.

by: Gail

Fri Feb 29 13:33:52 2008

A split screen might work fine on a widescreen monitor or laptop, but for those of us still using an old fashioned 15'' monitor, the view will no doubt require left to right scrolling.

My main concern would be slower loading of results pages.

Is the split screen only for search results pages, or is eBay preparing us for comparison shopping by item?  I bet the new overly simplified Item Page design (Feb 18th Blog entry) is preparation for side by side items.  I like this option on other sites, but major coding changes have never run smoothly for eBay.  I sense a catastrophe looming.

by: lisa

Fri Feb 29 15:50:11 2008

Thanks, Ina, for keeping the discussion civilized.

Your suggestions "If eBay would serve up auction results with Time Ending Soonest, bring back price sort without the shipping (or at least add it as an option), and perhaps have category-based policies and pricing..." are dead-on.

by: UnleashedSeller

Fri Feb 29 17:37:24 2008

I haven't lost site of the feedback changes that are going to be implented in May. I won't fall for this diversion. Sellers have much more to worry about than this.

Sellers, don't lose focus on the REAL fight!

by: Held @ Bay

Fri Feb 29 21:27:07 2008

Great, another unwanted change.

by: jsicolts

Sat Mar 1 09:02:39 2008

of course no real ebayer wanted this ugly change except mindless wonders ie. KAL and his sort.

by: Steve Grossberg

Sat Mar 1 11:23:33 2008

Ina

do not count on this beta ever going live the chances are slim and none

by: Nancy

Sat Mar 1 20:27:39 2008

The split screen is too cluttered; too much to read, I would tend to skip a lot of my normal looking.

Furthermore, it is natural for people to read the right side first so I think it would give an unfair advantage to the sellers who would be listed on the right side.

by: jsicolts

Sun Mar 2 07:06:38 2008

true, it is cluttered and a mess.
What gives with this new 'make offer' must be 1.00 or more- no more .99 make offers ?

by: jrb

Sun Mar 2 08:51:33 2008

This is one of the very few changes eBay has made that I like.  I think it has real potential.

Probably a year or so ago, a young lady suggested that eBay completely separate auctions from BIN, and that they have portals on their front page to direct people to one or the other.  I have always liked that idea because I believe that all of the changes eBay has made resulted in confusion for the buyer.  While not as good as the "portal" idea, this is change is probably the best all-round solution.

The split screen will make eBay much more comprehensible to the buyer, especially the new buyers -- and that is what we want.

You know, I think the eBay "Wonder Suits" must think that if they make enough changes, they are bound to get something right . . . eventually.  Well, I think they may have gotten this one right.