Wed Feb 27 2008 18:04:36

PayPal and eBay Pay Shoppers to Shop

eBay is running a marketing campaign to encourage buyers to shop on its site by offering them coupons. One buyer sent AuctionBytes a coupon he had received (pictured) that offered $5 toward shipping on any one item. Part of the terms and conditions follows:

This Offer is valid only when you pay with, and seller accepts, PayPal. This Offer is intended for the recipient whose eBay User ID is printed on the Offer and purchase must be made on eBay.com with that eBay User ID. This Offer is not transferable.

This Offer is for one-time use. It may only be redeemed on the total shipping cost of an item or items on one purchase from a single seller, using a single method of shipping and single currency, in a single transaction. This Offer expires February 28, 2008 at 11:59:59 PM (PST).

I also heard from a buyer who received a phone call from PayPal recently. The call was followed up with an email containing a coupon for $50 off the purchase price of a single item on eBay.com using PayPal to pay for the item, excluding shipping, handling and taxes, with an expiration date of March 28, 2008.

Here's a page on eBay that explains eBay coupons.

One of the buyers who received a coupon (and is also a seller) wrote, "I assume that their generosity was another way to try and blunt the effects of the seller boycott during that time period." Of course, eBay does have marketing programs in place - it's unlikely we'll ever know if they stepped up efforts in response to the boycott or not.

by: Sandi Purrins

Wed Feb 27 18:23:48 2008

They always have to tie Paypal in with any promo, don't they? How sleazy. The five bucks might cover the added shipping charges Paypal sellers charge to pay their ridiculous fees. LOL!

by: bucketslogg

Wed Feb 27 19:33:58 2008

Hot air and arrogance is floating their graf zepelin right now, but I don't think there'll be many high fives and clinking of glasses when the first quarter 2008 financials are due.  We who have thanklessly toiled in the ebay trenches know that there is no way their income is going to put any dazzle on their out-go.  In the immortal words of Rodney Dangerfield... "Wadda ya, Wadda ya, Wadda ya, Kidding Me?"  Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of losers.

Closed my shop and my paypal account today.   I can get shoved around anywhere, I don't have to pay for it.

by: Jane

Wed Feb 27 19:51:56 2008

Bribes to hold up sales levels.

by: wildwoods714

Wed Feb 27 20:08:22 2008

No doubt yet another way to try to suck in new buyers since the old sellers and buyers have wisened up and moved on!

I wouldn't deal with Ebay or Paypal again if they paid me!  Oh, that's right.... they are TRYING to pay me aren't they?  Does anyone have a listing for onlineauction.com coupons that I can use Ebay's coupon to purchase????

by: christine

Wed Feb 27 20:36:20 2008

I have been with eBay since 1999.  I didn't get any coupon.  What does that say...

by: jsicolts

Thu Feb 28 06:42:41 2008

More sleeze from ebay & paypal. They have to recover from boycotts somehow...

by: Kal

Thu Feb 28 07:25:06 2008

Don't kid yourself. The boycott had no effect, nor will an extension to it, or any other.

by: fishfans

Thu Feb 28 08:58:29 2008

I have been selling and buyingk on ebay since 1998 and I didn't get a coupon, hmmm, I only have 7860 f/b must not be good enough. I will take this time to plug my new site. I have switched to OLA for my buyers. same user ID.

by: fishfans

Thu Feb 28 09:01:39 2008

typo error, that should be 1860 f/b. but since Ebay doesn't allow f/b for multiple purchases, my other 200 don't count.

by: jsicolts

Thu Feb 28 10:51:59 2008

kal - wrong again.
The boycotts were BETTER tha expected, over 20% drop in listings AND sites like iOffer.com & Alibris.com bursting with new buyers & sllers. Great kal, losers like you stay with ebay.

by: Kal

Thu Feb 28 13:25:03 2008

Baloney.

by: Isa

Thu Feb 28 13:49:19 2008

What really annoys me is eBay's dismissal of the fact that large numbers of sellers are unhappy with their changes and are looking elsewhere.  I wish Google would come out with an eBay competitor!  They have the presence and respect to make it kick eBay in the you-know-what!!!

by: Kal

Thu Feb 28 14:59:59 2008

Geez, what is it with you people and Google? Google is just another money hungry company, who you think would be any better? I doubt it.

by: Patricia

Thu Feb 28 16:05:30 2008

eBay is not being honest as usual.  While the listing price is going down 5 - 10 cents,,,yes,,that's cents.   The fee charges for sold items are going way up.

Sellers pay fees to sell.  When their items don't sell they still have to pay.

If they get ripped off by a buyer, they may get some fees returned but NEVER the costs to sell.

Other reasons for the boycott are :
 sellers can no longer leave negative comments for bad buyers who don't pay or file false claims and get their money back and get to keep the ''Lost'' item.

Sellers are rated on comments from buyers.  Bad reviews limit their exposure in searches and discounts are lost resulting in higher fees for sellers.

eBay's money banking system for the auction site can hold the buyer's payment for up to 21 days.  Sellers have to ship using their own funds and wait for a response from the buyer.  Hopefully the buyer is satisfied and Paypal will finally release the money owed to the seller.

No interest is given to the buyer or the seller even though both are out of the money and PayPal gets to keep the interest.

New sellers or sellers with small history with eBay will have to use PayPal as the only form of Payment.  More money for eBay.

The list goes on and eBay isn't willing to discuss any of the changes with the selling community that has been loyal from the beginning and suported the company making it the giant it has become.

Thanks are due to eBay for forcing sellers and buyers to look at other online auctions.  eCrater, Onlineauctions, ioffer, etsy.com, bidville and blujay are but a few.

Check out powersellersunite.com for a list of online auction sites that are welcoming and working with new buyers and sellers each day.

Thanks to large corporations like GM or new sites like China, eBay may continue to grow but they will never again have the loyalty and support, the Mom & Pop or small seller gave them.

SUPPORT THE BOYCOTT OF2008

by: Jay

Thu Feb 28 17:25:44 2008

I started out over six years ago by selling comic books and then watches on eBay. I have gone through multiple major changes to my business since then.

One of the articles that finally woke me up was entitled ''Who Owns Your Business - You or eBay?'' Read the article and see if you don't find it striking a chord:

If
you go to my current watch website at http://your-guide-to-watches.com you will see that I no longer sell any hard goods myself.

However, you do not have to completely drop your products. If you read the whole article you will see how you can actually sell your own products on your own site AND start generating eBay affiliate income for related products that you don't offer.

This is a great way to break the chains that eBay uses to control your future and I think it is even more timely with the recent increase in seller fees that has caused this uproar.

If you want to learn more, I would recommend you also take a look at a free 224-page course that you can use to shake free of eBay's stranglehold. I used this as a blueprint to get me going in a whole new direction over three years ago and that is what led me to the point where I quit selling hard goods myself.

Here is a link to a copy of the course that I uploaded to my site for others to use. It is free, so feel free to share it with others if you wish. You can download this course here:

masters.pdf

I
hope this helps you all in seeing how you can continue to grow your online businesses successfully without having to be totally dependent on the eBay ''mother ship''. Take care.

Jay

by: hackman

Thu Feb 28 19:04:41 2008

Hey Isa (and others),
Check out Google base with google checkout.Looks pretty good,has lots of stuff.Ditching Ebay is fine but Paypal sucks just as bad.(Google checkout is cheap or free)

by: don kidd

Thu Feb 28 21:53:34 2008

I can't stand Ebay, or PayPal for that matter! I was a long time Ebay powerseller (Platinum), and in the beginning they (Ebay) seemed to support sellers. Now it's all a ''GREED'' thing with them and they don't care who gets trampled on. Anyway, I am on OLA.com now (Onlineauction.com) and I am doing just as well as I did 4 years ago on Ebay. If your still with Ebay, you are certainly going to regret it one day soon!

by: NotAHappyBuyer

Fri Feb 29 00:31:46 2008

FTC & State Attorney Generals (and all of your Buyers) should be advised of this unfair trade practice being promoted by venue in order to inflate Final Value Fees assessed to Seller. At the same time Buyers are discriminated against and in an uneven playing field/marketplace as their legitimate bids (to be paid with real money) are inflated by bidder/buying power with fake money/scrip. This reminds me of the move ''The Sting''

by: mike

Fri Feb 29 00:57:50 2008

Nice promo , I did'nt get one ,Just breaks my heart !!! And if any of my old customers did , they won't find me selling any of my antique gold and silver jewelry there !!!

by: jsicolts

Fri Feb 29 06:07:05 2008

hey KAL - stay with ebay. You two nuts deserve each other.