Wed Feb 20 2008 23:29:20

eBay Settings Going Haywire?

Two trusted readers told me they began receiving email notices from eBay when their listings ended today, despite having that setting turned off in their preferences. I went in to my account to change preferences, and it let me, but it didn't take the first time - nothing changed. I tried it again. This time, it worked - but it also turned off Buyer Checkout ("Notify me when a buyer has submitted payment through checkout"). And there was no way to turn this back on, even when I turned the Unsold Item email notification setting off ("Notify me when one of my listings ends without a winning buyer").

I've noticed that when there are problems with a tech feature, it's best not to tinker with settings until things have settled down, so it may be wise to leave your settings alone at the moment...

I have an inquiry in to eBay about this, and did a quick perusal of eBay discussion boards and didn't see anyone chatting about it. Anybody else experiencing this problem?

by: Chris

Thu Feb 21 02:24:51 2008

Hey Ina, someone flipped a switch and enabled part of myebaybeta which caused the emails.

Looks like the turned it off again pretty sharpish :-)

by: Mark

Thu Feb 21 04:50:06 2008

Ina, that isn't the only setting that has gone haywire.  Seller's aren't able to put their stores on vacation properly!!

In addition, auction acount is very low:

by: jsicolts

Thu Feb 21 07:50:02 2008

Not surprised. Sleazebay tinkers so much that items not broken - THEY BRAKE. Look at how shipping options shpw up FIRST PROITY THEN Media THEN First Class Air. I found a way to sorta fix that, but let's see what else they screw up. THE BOYCOTT IS WORKING.

by: manny

Thu Feb 21 07:57:49 2008

My sell your item form seems to have somehow obscured the shipping insurance option. Ordinarily, you’re asked whether shipping insurance is part of the shipping cost, not offered or it is an extra. I listed an item this morning but that option was no where to be seen, any idea?
Cheers. manny

by: Jason

Thu Feb 21 08:23:55 2008

Yup, We are now getting the item closed emails, annoying, started yesterday, just more spam in my inbox. Argh.

by: Larry Deming

Thu Feb 21 08:49:55 2008

I have an auction going that won't show the gallery photo no matter what I try to do to fix it. Okay, it's now free. So what?

by: GazLanNaThai

Thu Feb 21 09:15:05 2008

Yup - had my mail box bombarded overnight with emails about closed listings (end of the 13th Feb CLD listings).

Still having the problems of dot com stripping out all P&P settings and prices except for the US deliveries - it's losing us Canadian buyers hand over fist and I expect some neutral if not negative feedbacks from those buyers whose payments were cancelled and reinvoiced with P&P put back on.

Also noticed the phishing and spoofing emails purporting to be from eBay have shot up in the last week (did they get hacked last week?  Anyone know?)

Also noticed that buyers seem to have joined in with the striking sellers - bids are way down compared to what should be expected, especially if there's truly less competition this week.

Gaz

by: Trish

Thu Feb 21 09:37:19 2008

Perhaps this is what you all get for being scabs and crossing the picket line?? Welcome to the new ebay, ya'll! :o)

by: daisy

Thu Feb 21 12:00:15 2008

Yes ... I received a lot of emails on ended items.  My settings are still the same ..  Now I know it was a fluke.  Thanks for the info...

by: Reply to Mark

Thu Feb 21 12:02:52 2008

Boycott a success - Auction Count Drops 20%

-17.73% - February 21, 2008 11:05 am

>eBay's
doublespeak on boycott - "no impact"

"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows"

by: daisy

Thu Feb 21 12:04:51 2008

Also, the item specifics are going crazy on me when i relist or sell similar.  I have found many listings with info NOT pertaining to my item, but I didn't input it.  It changes all the specifics that I type in.

by: Henrietta

Thu Feb 21 13:43:34 2008

I had not listed anything since I closed out the last of my store items Feb 15th.

GazLanNaThai, we strikers or boycotting sellers aren't just sellers. Many of our customers are boycotting. Many buyers 'saw it on the radio' and are boycotting. AND DUH! WE ARE BUYERS TOO! I got a beautiful purse on Etsy this week! My neigbor bought cultured stone for his fireplace on Loudfrog from an X-eBay seller, that was a big sale and he saved money (& so did the seller). Another PS neighbor has opened multi channels this month, eCRATER has brought him sales and he is negotiating with a platinum chain buyer on iOffer.

What I HAVE been getting are jolly little rah rah emails about the decreases in fees and from 'my favorite sellers'.

I need to tell y'all something. If you are on my favorite sellers list and I see that you are ''Open for Business'' as usual during the strike you are coming off my favorites list. I will not cross a picket line in real life or online.

Maybe eBay doesn't need me, I'm just NOISE, but they sure liked my money and they aren't getting any of it.

by: LLP

Thu Feb 21 15:04:19 2008

Boycott a success - Auction Count Drops 20%

-17.73% - February 21, 2008 11:05 am

You idiot. Did you forget all the inflated listings from last week's 20 cent sale? These are all closing today. Of course listing numbers are going down.

Doublespeak or not, the boycott did not make a difference, will not make a difference. There just wasn't enough participation.

And did you REALLY think a huge global company would bow to this sort of ''pressure''? They have to prove to Wall Street that they are right, and everyone else is wrong.

This whole thing's been a joke. I don't know why I bothered to sit on the sidelines this week. All I lost was money.

by: Ina Steiner

Thu Feb 21 22:46:03 2008

Larry,
Not sure if this is related to your Gallery problem, do you use a third-party tool to list that might be able to help?

(Sorry,
you have to copy and paste the url)
Ina

by: Woody

Thu Feb 21 22:59:57 2008

I have not been able to list a digital item for a week. After I complete the listing form and click ''continue'' the web address of my item dissapears and I get an error message asking for the web address of the item. Live Help says it's a ''site issue'' but does eBay always take this much time to fix their ''site issues''? Suppose this is a Settings Going Haywire?

by: Trish

Sat Feb 23 09:53:20 2008

To LLC:

Resorting to name calling - WOW! Do you work for greedbay? Go back to your merry little listings, but PLEASE - PUT UP AND SHUT UP if you decide to do so. Nobody really cares, nor judges you for it, but you see, now sleazebay has not only pit seller against buyer, but seller against seller.

Most every PowerSeller received MULTIPLE emails from ebay this week, begging us to return, to reopen our stores, etc, so spare me the "not working garbage". If they feel the need to actively solicit our return, then something is amiss within.

They thought they were going to get rid of the small potatoes, but certainly did not expect to lose the ones that put the food on their tables.

Go on back, it sounds as if they deserve you - but, again, please don't whine "...this is broken - I can no longer do that - ebay won't help me - boo hoo wah". You get what you deserve when you work with greedbay, NOT what you pay for!

by: louisa

Sat Feb 23 19:20:43 2008

Back when I was listing, I had noticed that when I tried to end an item in my store, it was still there. I thought it was just magic.

by: jsicolts

Sun Feb 24 06:49:28 2008

What a mess ebay is. The new look is awful & cluttered. We think they WANT LESS SELLERS and more buyers. That is why there is a ongoing effort to harrass and confuse sellers.
Half.com , eBay's ugly sister, also has major flaws that they WILL NOT EVER FIX.
You must provide a valid tracking number.
Multiple Shipping Notes
Enter the information for each item in the form below. Blank rows will be ignored.
NOT TRUE. BLANK ROWS are NOT IGNORED.
Use a different (but fake seems to work often) Delivery Confirmation # for each item, EVEN IF IT IS SHIPPED TO THE SAME ADDRESS.

C'mon iOffer.com get BIGGER & STRONGER. You new members are waiting...

by: Kevin

Sun Feb 24 11:52:29 2008

OK guys, I have an honest question. What alternative is there for us low volume sellers? I primarily sell used-collectible books. It's a very part time job for me, mostly to support our reading habits but we do strive to supply a high quality product. Many do not qualify as Amazon Marketplace items, and the costs involved with an Amazon store (and most of the other book seller marketplaces) place them out of reach.

I don't care much for what I see e-bay doing, but I don't see a viable alternative.

by: trish

Sun Feb 24 15:47:43 2008

Kevin, please visit http://www.powersellersunite.com for the best information about available alternatives. You do NOT have to be an ebay powerseller to browse or join the discussions.