Mon Dec 29 2008 11:06:48

Ecommerce-Journal.com Steals eBay Interview of Jeff Jordan

By: David Steiner

I rarely, if ever, use this blog as a soapbox for a personal vent, but when I ran across a case of content theft as blatant as this, I decided to go all "Michael Arrington" and post this rant to our blog. I also think the best thing to do is to document it for the Internet community at large to see, so I'm going to make this post as Google-friendly as I can, (I might mention Amazon, Barack Obama or even Britney Spears in this article, but it's not really relevant.) to ensure that it stays high in search results whenever someone searches Ecommerce-Journal.com. Hopefully services that might be considering advertising on Ecommerce-Journal.com will read this and think twice.

The post below this one in the AuctionBytes blog points to an interview we did with former PayPal President Jeff Jordan, who left eBay in 2006. In doing a search on Google News this morning, the AuctionBytes article appeared in the results, as well as an article by Ecommerce-Journal.com. What a coincidence, I thought, that they should also do an interview with Mr. Jordan, so I clicked through to read it. You can imagine my surprise, when I saw that Ecommerce-Journal, Deputy Chief Editor, Ayny, had asked exactly the same questions that AuctionBytes had asked Mr. Jordan. I was even more surprised that he gave exactly the same answers.

Of course, that wasn't the case. Ecommerce-Journal.com felt it was not only appropriate to lift original content from AuctionBytes, but that it was also proper to change any mention of AuctionBytes in their ripped off version to the letter "Q." (See image below)

We don't waste a lot of time on content thieves (well about ten minutes throwing together this post). But I can't help but wonder what the good folks at Google News are thinking by including Ecommerce-Journal.com in their search results - traffic that should be going to sites publishing original content, not stealing it.

I actually thought it was somewhat amusing that Ecommerce-Journal.com states in its footer that all materials copied from their site be followed with a link back to them - and that "Any violation will be reviewed as crime and will be reported to corresponding law authorities."

In the spirit of the holidays, I'd like to make a gift of this post. Feel free post it in it's entirety anywhere you'd like.

Update 12/29/08 12:21ET - Well that didn't take long. Less than 2 hours after this was posted, a Google search for "ecommerce-journal" shows this blog entry on Page 1 of results. Google News has also replaced the image from the stolen article with the image from this blog post. Something to this 'squeaky wheel gets the grease' thing...

Ecommerce-Journal.com Steals eBay Interview of Jeff Jordan   Ecommerce-Journal.com Steals eBay Interview of Jeff Jordan

by: Pat

Mon Dec 29 11:27:44 2008

HAH!! David, you owe me a new monitor because this one is covered in coffee!!

I think Ecommerce-Journal is one of those 'pseudo-content' sites based in India, so it would be hard to get the story pulled, but if it's any consolation, you did give me one of the best laughs I've had in a while!!

by: aa

Mon Dec 29 11:55:38 2008

HAHAHHA Jeff Jordan is unimportant now. He doesn't work for Ebay so who gives a rats ... about what he thinks or does. As for the article being put on ecommerce..who gives a care. Gotta be more important news than that to worry about.

by: G. DeBlois

Mon Dec 29 12:16:58 2008

I can't count the number of times I've had my eBay listings or images stolen and used on someone elses auctions...

by: Mitzi

Mon Dec 29 12:31:21 2008

Did you see in very tiny letters at the bottom they put copyright www.auctionbytes.com? Very strange!

by: matt

Mon Dec 29 13:27:54 2008

Ina, are you sure they stole it? After all, current and former Ebay employees give the same song and dance "kool-aid" lines to everyone, Jeff Jordan included.

by: Sachin Agarwal

Mon Dec 29 13:45:37 2008

Wow, that's shady as hell.  Who do they think they are, the Huffington Post?  (HuffPo's been doing very long "teasers" to other people's content - way past fair use, IMHO.)  You show them, Ina!

by: Patricia

Mon Dec 29 13:47:36 2008

That's about as low as one can go - to steal from someone else.  I have a Google Alert set for Ebay and many articles on Ebay come into my email box several times a day.  I know one story is copied over and over again - especially among bloggers.  Its really a stupid thing to do - it makes the copycats look foolish and uncreative.

by: Jody

Mon Dec 29 13:57:38 2008

One word:

copyscape

Find your article here:

http://www.middleeast.org/launch/realtime/ countries.pl?country=jordan&date=2008_12_29

e-journal.com/tags/seller

p://www.buzztracker.com/story/4b4fdec63dd78c57ef1610f1/
media_and_internet

78c57ef1610f1/ebay

12167_interview_with_jeff_jordan_former_ceo_of_ebay

Best regards,

-Jody

by: AJ selfserve eBay store

Mon Dec 29 14:11:24 2008

© 2006 eCommerce Journal, All materials copied should be followed by a back-link to http://ecommerce-journal.com/.
I can imagine your angry, this isn't like stealing the image of the Nike shoes somebody is selling, for you it's like somebody selling the shoes themselves.
I wonder what would happen if you called the police, it seems they have an office/fax in Boston...
This is what it says at the bottom of their website:
----------------------

Ecommerce Journal - more about virtual economy

by: AJ selfserve eBay store

Mon Dec 29 14:13:19 2008

This is what it says at the bottom of their website: COPYRIGHT Ecommerce Journal - Any violation will be reviewed as crime and will be reported to corresponding law authorities

by: rich

Mon Dec 29 15:15:22 2008

It's called ''plagiarism.'' You have legal rights. You didn't know that?

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Mon Dec 29 15:17:24 2008

Most bloggers and legitimate media sources will attribute the content to the original publisher. There is, as Sachin mentions, fair use - which can be a little fuzzy in interpretation. If a person posts the first paragraph of one of our stories, with a link back to the full article, we feel that's very fair. Another publisher may have a different view.

Many people will take an entire article, and post it in forums to share with others - either with our without a link to the source. That's not ideal, since once you've read the article, there's really no point in clicking through to the source. But we understand that many forums don't allow links, and the intent of the person copying and pasting the content is to share information. As I said - it's not ideal for the publisher, but it's understandable.

In this case, I can only surmise that by changing the interview to eliminate references to AuctionBytes, Ecommerce-Journal.com's intent was to pass our content off as theirs.

@AJ selfserve eBay store -
If you Google the fax number that appears on Ecommerce-Journal.com, you'll see that it also comes up as the fax number for a lawyer in the Boston area. I spoke with that lawyer this morning, and she said she was unaffiliated with Ecommerce-Journal, and unaware that they were using her fax number. The whois information for Ecommerce-Journal.com shows a California street address, a Delaware phone number, and an IP address in the UK, so I wouldn't put much stock in the site being based in Boston.

by: zeak

Mon Dec 29 17:08:26 2008

take it as a compliment your big enough to steal from

ive never even heard of the other outfit probably be best to not mention them it only gives them free press.

by: vintagepostcards

Mon Dec 29 17:40:14 2008

I've had content stolen before.  It's no big deal to get the matter rectified.  Google "DMCA Takedown Notice." Google tells you what to write in the complaint to them, what to write in a letter of complaint to webmaster@_____, etc.  Webmaster wherever will most likely do a quick take down; if not, Google will.  Doesn't matter where they live - I've done takedowns on content in Thailand, Denmark, etc.

A nice perk - the perp gets listed at achillingeffect.org re: plagiarism.  Should all be resolved in a matter of a week or two.

by: On Lies and Secrets

Mon Dec 29 19:28:42 2008

I don't understand why anyone would plagiarize something from the Internet and then stick it right back up on the Internet for all the world to see.

Right now I see a tiny attribution at the the bottom of the interview, but no hot link.  I don't know why the other site couldn't quote a small portion of the original with proper attribution and then written some original copy in response to the quoted part.

by: eBuyer Feedback

Mon Dec 29 21:03:36 2008

Weird thing is that I've even had my site plagiarized.  What benefit is it to someone to take the text from my FAQ or front page and post it out of context on their own site?  Makes no sense.

(posting my content to promote my site is OK)

I found that out several months ago by using copyscrape.  It also showed up the interesting result that my front page was published in the law paper Reputation Nation.

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Mon Dec 29 21:11:10 2008

Sue them.What the heck? Plagiarism is a crime, right? If intellectual property rights are an issue on ebay, then they should be an issue EVERYWHERE!

The only thing is, Mr Jordan makes ebay look like a basket of roses. Which it is not. I wouldn't want the world knowing how sweet he still is on the company and how he admires John Donahoe. He probably did that so he could keep his own golden parachute intact. Why else would he be able to sit around at home and cook?
And then take an easy job at a restaurant booking agency.

I would bury that piece and hope no one reads it, even though Auctionbytes does a great job of interviewing..I would much rather see an interview with Jeetil Patel. He's got the right ideas about ebay!LOL!

by: Anita

Tue Dec 30 00:55:05 2008

They have put the name of your site at the bottom, so respected your copyright. at least they think so )

by: tiredofebaygames

Tue Dec 30 05:13:09 2008

They still have it as though they are the interviewer an author on their site:

ew_with_jeff_jordan_former_ceo_of_ebay

That
really stinks!

by: Sole

Sat Mar 7 21:35:16 2009

Don't bother.
No one probably reads that blog anyway. The content there is pretty random. It is about everything and nothing.