Sun Dec 28 2008 22:41:26

What Would eBay Be Like if Jeff Jordan Were CEO?

Many had believed Jeff Jordan would take over from Meg Whitman as eBay's President and CEO, but Jeff stepped down as President of PayPal unexpectedly in 2006. What has he been up to since then, and what does he think of the current state of affairs at the company he helped build? You can find out in Monday's AuctionBytes Newsflash in an exclusive interview.

Jeff took a lot of heat from users during his tenure at eBay, which likely colors some of his answers ("What is eBay doing wrong?" for example).

It's easy to read this interview and think Jeff is answering some questions as if it's still 2006. But his focus is clearly on OpenTable, the company he currently leads, and not on the current state of affairs at eBay.

If one could look in a crystal ball and see what eBay would be like today if Jeff Jordan had taken over for Meg, would things be any different? That's an interesting question to ponder.

What Would eBay Be Like if Jeff Jordan Were CEO?   What Would eBay Be Like if Jeff Jordan Were CEO?

by: Randy Smythe

Sun Dec 28 23:14:47 2008

Great interview Ina! I think if Jeff were running eBay he would have made some of the same bold changes but I believe he would have done a much better job communicating with the community and he wouldn't have changed plans every quarter.

Too bad Meg and the board passed him over.

by: On Lies and Secrets

Sun Dec 28 23:20:31 2008

He sounds like the rest of the current ebay management - guardedly optimistic despite all of the signs of trouble. He doesn't appear to have kept up very well with what is happening to ebay, which is understandable, because he no longer works there. Why bother?

It is intersting to note that he indicates in the interview that several people that he used to work with while at ebay are no longer there either. I wonder why so many left the company?

by: i'd rather remain anonymous

Sun Dec 28 23:24:27 2008

sorry i call BS.

he approves of JD?

i call bs on that. he sounds like he is still one of the team. nothing to see here, move along.

anyone around since 1999 - like myself - knows that donohue is the sheriff of nottingham and he is as bad a manager and executive as they come.

waste of internet pages this interview. sorry ina.

by: Mechelle

Sun Dec 28 23:35:09 2008

Anyone that approves of any of John Donahoe's changes would do a job just as poorly as Donahoe

by: Concho

Sun Dec 28 23:54:39 2008

I hope he cooks with more spice than he interviews LOL.

I'm not as disappointed as the guy above who called BS but I do call bland!

Wonder if he kept any stock. You should have asked. I can't believe a stockholder could think much of JD

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Dec 29 00:04:41 2008

Woildn't it be refreshing if someone actually told the unvarnished truth in one of these interviews?

by: Maverick

Mon Dec 29 00:09:00 2008

What a waste of space on someone that doesn't even know what Ebay is up to anymore.

Or the 100's of sellers that have left,1000's of buyers that have left.

Just since the elimination of checks and money orders my sales have plummeted over 40%.And I still have some buyers paying that way but others have just walked away from buying at Ebay ever again because they don't want something forced down their throat.

I do agree with his IQ of Ebay hiring smart people.Only problem is they hire smart people that have no clue what it takes to sell and could care less otherwise.It's obvious he dumped all of his stock in the company or I don't believe he would be saying how rosy past and present Ebay is.

by: huh

Mon Dec 29 00:11:35 2008

Sorry, I started skeptical, but the guy really lost me at ''I have a lot of admiration for Donahoe'' -truly, I tried to read some more, but why put myself through the torture... ebay does enough of that for me, what they don't cover, I can get from the Bush administration, congress and the feds, the healthcare system, the FDA, the mainstream media, oh heck there's no shortage of sources of torture.

by: Gary

Mon Dec 29 00:26:33 2008

Yeah, I call bovine feces too! Jeff was pretty lame, the sucking up was blatant and the excessive self promotion of opentable was over the top.

Connect two parties and rape both of them, that's an original idea.

by: T. Hop

Mon Dec 29 00:27:12 2008

I think ebay would be doing better if it had even a cardboard cutout of anyone in the CEO's chair other than Donahoe. He and Whitman have pretty much destroyed it. I have moved on, as have millions of others. Donahoe is nothing more than The King Of Trolls.

by: Mary Beaver

Mon Dec 29 00:29:18 2008

I have not the foggiest whether we would have seen the same detrimental changes to e-bay that we have encountered but as I seller this is my comment.
E-bay was wonderful until they started unfairness to the seller.  No longer fun, so I simply quit.  Rarely do I ever run an auction so they have lost my business as I am sure they have others...Too Bad.  That is such a shame.

by: Patricia

Mon Dec 29 01:20:02 2008

To most small sellers I think they would say reading that interview was a waste of their time.

by: Num Yummy

Mon Dec 29 01:36:25 2008

Blah Blah Blah...

Sorry Ina, but that was a complete waste of time.  I'm so sick of the same ole BS from ex ebay executives.  They are all clueless!

by: nadine

Mon Dec 29 01:54:42 2008

This is just like hearing some diplomat lie for his country. He can't even think of anything eBay has done wrong this year? Hey, even if you think Donahoe's plan is the neatest thing since sliced bread, there is a list of policy reversals this year a mile long, because eBay seems congenitally unable to implement any plan in an orderly way, or to inform any of its customers what the new rules are. Is that all supposed to be a sign of success & part of Donahoe's cunning plan?

What BS.

by: darcustori jewelry

Mon Dec 29 02:02:07 2008

He sounds like a real ass kisser this guy.  How could anyone in their right mind kiss a bunch of asses over at eBay currently!  I suppose he's trying to land the position of CEO?
A few bums off the street would do a better job at than the current eBay administration.  I sell more on my own site than I do on eBay.
eBay's new policies have made it as difficult to sell on their site as it is on the www.

by: james

Mon Dec 29 05:01:08 2008

If he were the CEO, it would be the same "f_ck sellers" and blatant denial that Ebay is doing anything wrong.

That being said, if this clown were CEO, I am sure the stock would be at $15 instead of $14. Clown.

by: Whateverebay

Mon Dec 29 05:17:52 2008

I feel that he is guarded with his response. The former Executives and employees must of felt something was wrong. Its like working for Google, why would anyone leave? OpenTable has possibilities, but the possibilities eBay can offer both employees and the community are immense.

Ina, has done a great job asking the questions, too bad Jeff Jordan did not provide more details.

by: 1busyman

Mon Dec 29 06:29:53 2008

okay this guy completely lost all credability when he said he cannot thibk of anything ebay is doing wrong. Either hee is totally disconnected (which I doubt because he commented on things he tinks they are doing right), is being a politician, or is incredibly dumb.

There aresom nay things ebay does wrong and he cant think of one?

how about UPI's, non paying bidders leaving negative? the high maintenance buyers, the dis-trust between buyers and sellers and vice versa, the lack of growth etc

by: ralph

Mon Dec 29 07:01:58 2008

Just another fluff piece nothing more. In my opinion a wasted interview.

This is why eBay is failing, everything is fine, don't listen to anybody, Nero is fiddling while Rome is burning.

Its this type of arrogance that is killing ebay, like a slow poison, ebay is getting sicker and sicker and by the time they realize it, it will be too late.

by: Daisy

Mon Dec 29 07:53:21 2008

Hope the food he cooks doesn't taste as bland as his personality. Yeah, he lost me at "I'm a big fan of John Donahoe."

I've used OpenTables to make reservations. It's a good idea. But into the recession, I doubt it will thrive as people can't afford to eat out at nicer restaurants. (John Donahoe can).

He's probably looking to follow Meg into her cabinet, if she's elected governor, hence all the a$$ ki$$ing.

Yada, yada, yada.