Tue Dec 16 2008 09:11:27

Amazon.com Beats eBay in Unique Visitors

Amazon.com has handily beaten eBay in terms of unique visitors to its site for the month of November. Data and charts are reported in Tuesday's AuctionBytes Newsflash newsletter.

It's not surprising if traffic is down at ecommerce sites given the rough economy. On the other hand, former CEO Meg Whitman had bragged eBay was recession-proof.

I couldn't resist posting this screenshot from a goodbye "lipdub" made by eBay France employees after eBay announced the closure of many European offices. Looks like they were studying some Nielsen data!

Amazon.com Beats eBay in Unique Visitors   Amazon.com Beats eBay in Unique Visitors

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Tue Dec 16 09:17:01 2008

Just think about how much more Amazon would be beating eBay by if former eBay users stopped checking the forums and if sellers who sell on other sites wouldn't use eBay as a price guide.  Plus you have tens of thousands of sellers who list items one a week and then stop back at eBay every day during that week to check messages and view their bids.

by: Joe

Tue Dec 16 09:52:57 2008

The writing has been on the wall the entire year of 2008. Staying on eBay is OK as it is just another site to sell on, just don't expect a hugh profit, but you can expect hugh fee's and a tremedeous amount of frustration with ever increasing time required to maintain listings under ebays ever changing policies.
I Started moving my items to Amazon in September 2008, then listed on all the sites I could find, ecrater, ioffer etc. etc.. The biggest return has been my own website which I use Adwords to get traffic. My profits are back up because my sales are receiving higher pricing with No Buyer Fraud or hand holding. It's like I'm selling to buyers with Intelligence and that know exactly what they are buying. My ebay business is still active under three ebay id's I have 14 listings on fixed 30 days rotation the result three sales the entire month of November and NONE in December 2008 so far. Ebay is no longer the bright star it once was for sellers and buyers, best to seek alternative site's to list on and your own website if you plan on having healthy sales to support your business, lifestyle or family because it will not happen on ebay any longer...Amazon Knows How To Treat Sellers and Gives the buyers their best search experience to buy quality items without bombarding them with cheap offers and adveretising...I really feel eBay is verging on worthless as a selling platform.

by: Daisy

Tue Dec 16 10:34:53 2008

Maybe John Donahoe got a good case of humility this year, at the seller's expense. When you disrespect people, you get it right back at you.

He should resign. I really don't think the good, veteran sellers are ever going to the cruelty Ebay put us through in 2008.

A new CEO with a fresh attitude and an empathic ear might save the site.

With that said, I don't see it happening. What I see is sellers leaving in droves in 2009, esp. after more stupid changes are implemented. And if they raise the fees....

by: nospeakengrish

Tue Dec 16 11:08:00 2008

Watching the video really shows the problems of eBay; a group of people that look very professional LOL

Look at the poster in one of the shots…Keep it Human ??? & Always trust your colleagues ??? what the hell is that all about.

Make’s you wonder what was going on with customer service while this little fool-a-round was going on.
These are the very same arrogant dumb heads that send out the brain numbing emails…oh and don’t forget the 30 day SNP suspensions
Pathetic & good riddance

@ Joe you are so on the money 100% right

by: Rob

Tue Dec 16 11:59:54 2008

Ina,
Thanks for the early Christmas present!
I'm still shaking the BS out of my stocking left by Griff.

Can't wait for eBay's spin on the Nov. numbers.
Time to start a new 'promotion' or 'giveaway' to boost the numbers.
Get ready for "Holiday Doorbusters 2.0"!!!

by: Dave

Tue Dec 16 12:04:18 2008

I sold on ebay for 6 years and was a powerseller on ebay. But I stopped selling on ebay in Feb 2008 when they announced the changes. I have not sold or bought anything on ebay since Feb 2008.
EBAY really miscalculated the affect the new changes were going to have on the community. I know ebay expected to lose sellers but I think that ebay thought that those sellers would continue to buy on ebay and that is something that is not happening. Ebay is still going to lose more sellers just wait til the christmas season is over. I know several sellers that are going to shut down at the end of the year. EBAY has turned loyal ebayers who use to tell everyone to shop on ebay into anti ebayers who now tell everyone to avoid the site and shop elsewhere and by the looks of the nielson ratings its working.

by: HappyHolidays

Tue Dec 16 12:33:40 2008

Been doing ALL my christmas shopping on the smaller auction sites - just to spite ebays policies!!!!

Found great deals and fantastic sellers!

I still sell on ebay (plus: eBid, iOffer, Online Auction, Bidtopia).

But ebay lost me as a buyer....

by: Grab hold of that Nerve and SHAKE IT!

Tue Dec 16 12:35:12 2008

@Bob @ Joe: Right on, Right on, Right ON!

Folks, stop listing! Take your stuff and move somewhere else. OR, if you've seen a 50% drop and feel that you can't "afford" to leave FeeBay just yet, take the 50% of items you have been paying to list and watching remain unsold and list them somewhere else.

You'll cut Ebay twice, one they won't get your fees and two you'll be doing valuable market research for yourself.

Often I hear, my sales have tanked, "I'm down 50+%, but I don't know where to list..." Put your Big Kid Pants on and man up. You can't tell how another site might work for you if you aren't listing there.

C'mon you've been running a business for years, some jerkface is ruining your business, are you seriously going to sit there and wonder when the bully will be nice to you?"

The top alternatives are: Bonanzle, Ecrater, Amazon, Alibris and others.
Try it out, try several.

But you won't know until you do it. If Ebay has made you mad, cost you money or your livelihood, stop paying them!

You need to be very clear with yourself:
Ebay makes money off me whether I am a successful business owner or not.
Ebay is in business to make money for Ebay.
Ebay doesn't care how much I wail and tear my hair out.
Ebay makes money off of me whether I am successful or not.
It is to Ebay's benefit that my items are not selling, because I've been dumb enough to relist, relist, relist.

Stop paying them. Donanhoe himself pointed out the reality "... as long as sellers are still complaining, they're still with us. It's when they stop complaining that we (Ebay) needs to worry. It means they've moved on."

I paraphrase, but that's about the size of it.
You need to realize that it's been almost a year, no amount of hand wringing, waiting and hoping is going to bring back the Old Ebay. If you want to stay in business you need to go find the NEXT Ebay.

Help yourself and others, encourage more articles on Ebay alternatives. Read them.

by: Patricia

Tue Dec 16 13:01:18 2008

If you think this is bad just wait until next quarter when Ebay doesn't even have a mild Christmas rush to help it!  Then the true bones of Donahoe's haphazard plan to emulate Amazon will show loud and clear.  There will be no denying the bungling and the arrogance and the stupidity that's been going on in Ebay all this year!  Of course Amazon beat them...any professionally operated company could have done it.  Amazon does not ride on its past success - Ebay let that past success go to its head until it thought it was untouchable!  Now they can just deal with it.  Most small sellers are sitting back laughing at them.  Hear that Donahoe - the ''noise'' has turned to laughter -directed at you and your schlock management team!

by: Patricia

Tue Dec 16 13:09:36 2008

Everybody - Bonanzle.com Free shop, free listing, small FVF when you sell and NICE people to deal with!!  Go there now.

by: 4-sillylittlegems

Tue Dec 16 13:19:45 2008

I am very glad Bloat-bay made all the changes because I have found other wonderful places, like Bonanzle &  blujay. Go there have fun again!!!

by: Jerry

Tue Dec 16 14:16:02 2008

Over the past two or three years, many people have posted here predicting the demise of eBay.  The ''Wonder Suits'' at eBay ignored their base, then alienated their base.  Now all those predictions are proving correct and they were ''no brainer'' predictions.  Ebay execs are truly, truly stupid.

by: voodoo

Tue Dec 16 14:53:42 2008

Did it take a rocket scientist to figure out Amazon beat Ebay???????

Anyone with 1/2 an ounce of brains could have told you that.

by: On Lies and Secrets

Tue Dec 16 15:34:39 2008

I think Joe hit on a critical difference that makes all of the difference to sellers - the amazon search and interface is far superior to ebay's default search, best match (which, IMO is a misnomer) and interface.  Buyers on ebay, particularly new or infrequent buyers (the types you are most likely to see during the holidays) can't find what they are looking for on ebay because the screen layout is too busy, too slow to load and search results often bear little resemblence to the search terms used.  Amazon has superior search technology that is far more intuitive, IMO.

by: RichardC

Tue Dec 16 15:35:17 2008

Amazon Beats Ebay in Unique Visitor- This doesn't surprise me in the least! In fact,  I believe that November is just the start of a monthly trend for Amazon beating eBay.

by: Hanafi_H

Tue Dec 16 18:39:42 2008

In other words, Ebay does not intend to do anything about sellers leaving until after they've left.

Try changing the words but using the same logic:

We're not going to do anything about bank robbers until they've alrady got away with the money.

by: Tkep

Tue Dec 16 22:11:32 2008

Solution is simple,all sellers decide on one site,the buyers need to be harvested,if they have many repeat transactions with you,they will not mind the 5 minute registration process,Ebay will then make thier decision in response,if the user base erodes significantly,Ebay will reverse,bottom out or carry on with the Diamond/Ad Click theory of progressing the company(NASDAQ)0r embers will follow in a sooty self destuction

by: Loops

Tue Dec 16 22:48:23 2008

I fired up an Amazon account 3 months ago and have been slowly working on my template and inventory upload. I will report back the results as they come in. Ebay can't be so heavy-handed one day and act sympathetic the next. My margins are virtually non-existent on Ebay. Ebay destroyed its trust and integrity.

by: Loops

Tue Dec 16 22:50:37 2008

Hey Ebay, your catalog sellers will bring you the first sale and after that they have the customer on their own site for future profitable sales. Ebay is the perfect customer finder site for your ecommerce store.

by: Rob

Tue Dec 16 23:32:52 2008

@loops,
My fiancee and I both have registered businesses, both have websites and both were power sellers on ebay with near flawless buyer satisfaction records after 6 years of selling on that platform. BUT, Amazon turned both our applications to sell on their site earlier this year claiming that Amazon limits the number of sellers they allow on their site for each particular product category, and that they didnt need any additional businesses selling the product lines we offer.

We've talked to 100s of  EX ebay businesses that were turned down by Amazon with the same rationale given.

If you dont mind me asking....what product lines do you sell? Large inventory? normal gross monthly online sales? What's the catch to getting a storefront on Amazon?

Amazon seems to have an ample supply of businesses in all categories, yet some businesses get accepted, while the vast majority of us dont.