Sun Dec 14 2008 16:44:39

Skip McGrath Launches the Official Geezer Guides

Skip McGrath has been writing for years about eBay in his free eBay Seller News email newsletter, in his paid guides, and in books from such publishers as McGraw-Hill. (All while maintaining his eBay PowerSeller status.) Skip and his wife Karen are now expanding their publishing empire with the launch of a new imprint targeting seniors called, the Official Geezer Guides.

Skip wrote, "We have two books available today with the launch: "The Official Geezer Guide to Starting an Online Business from Home," by me, and, "The Official Geezer Guide to Selling on Amazon," by Steve Lindhorst. Next week we will be uploading two more books: "The Official Geezer Guide to Creating and Selling eBooks," by Julie A. Fast, and "The Official Geezer Guide to Selling on Craigslist," by Richard Geasey. All of our books are eBooks, but have an option to order a print-on-demand copy."

Meanwhile, Skip's daughter-in-law Lissa McGrath, who has been a contributing writer for AuctionBytes over the years, has a new book out: "The Complete Idiots Guide to Life as A Military Spouse." Kudos!

Lots of eBay sellers are doing interesting things these days. Please feel free to toot your own horn here about your projects, whether it's selling a new product line or launching a new storefront, a new consulting or publishing gig, different ways of using social networking, or milestones you've reached in your online retail business.

Skip McGrath Launches the Official Geezer Guides   Skip McGrath Launches the Official Geezer Guides

by: MIng the Merciless

Sun Dec 14 17:52:23 2008

Why start off by insulting the target audience with the word "geezer?"

Or are "geezer guides" the replacement for the "dummies guides?"

Some of these "geezers" have been using computers and the internet for longer than many of these dot com whippersnappers have been alive.

by: E***Q

Sun Dec 14 18:27:00 2008

Dummies, Geezers, idiots. It doesn't matter.

We're the idiots. The only way to make money is to write a book!

by: Gary

Sun Dec 14 19:30:38 2008

I qualify as a "Geezer" and used my 1st computer in 1967(The gov't paid 14 million for it in 1967 dollars)

by: B****e

Sun Dec 14 23:13:35 2008

''Geezer'' is a male term!  As a female, I would think twice about buying a book with that term in its name. (First programmed a computer in 1966 - Fortran IV.  Punch cards and all - so much fun with the one keypunch that did not print!  Even wired a breadboard a few times)

by: Jeanne

Sun Dec 14 23:27:10 2008

Ina:

Why is everyone on your site so negative?

I am flag waving feminist and old enough to be retired.  I am on Skip's mailing list and it did not occur to me to be upset with anything.

I thought the concept was good, the graphics are great and I hope Skip does well.

I wish everyone well and I don't think eBay is evil. They run a business and they don't owe me anything.

Take care,
Jeanne

by: E***Q

Mon Dec 15 10:48:13 2008

''Why is everyone on your site so negative?''

Did you just come out from under a rock? You haven't been watching what's been going on the past year?

eBay DOES owe me something because I PAY FOR SERVICES. Instead they take things away, increase fees, hide my listings in Best Match, and give unprecedented power to buyers to suspend me (automatically, with no appeal) based on ''data'' left as ''opinion''. They took away my ability to warn other sellers about deadbeats. Then they allow shill bidders to go on a rampage because their identity is hidden.

Yea, that and a lot of other reasons is why everyone is so negative.

by: JR

Mon Dec 15 14:48:23 2008

Please get over yourselves,  Skip McGrath is a geezer.

Since when can't the pot call the kettle black.

As a geezer myself, I am not in the least offended. I was born in an earlier time and place when people still had a sense of humor instead of a sense of entitlement.

by: w***y

Mon Dec 15 18:03:19 2008

Should we stop calling people elderly and start calling them geezers?

no lonnger my elderly grandma but my geezer grandma? OK I'll try it out at Christmas.

by: 4@77

Mon Dec 15 18:04:53 2008

It has nothing to do with a sence of humor but of respect.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Dec 16 06:55:29 2008

@ E***Q

You're only an ''idiot'' if you buy the book.

The only books I'd ever be interested in reading concerning ebay would be one about verified, documented case histories of sellers ebay fracked, one written by former employees revealing the breadth and depth of ebay's deceptions and lies, and b-school requiems of how and why ebay ultimately failed.

Oh, and maybe a pamphlet giving us the federal inmate numbers and prison assignments of past and present ebay management.

As an alternative to ebay Live! I propose a seller meeting in San Jose late next summer called ebay Dead! complete with peaceful mass picketing, lots of street theatre, and anything else to generate media attention.

Death to ebay corp.

by: E***Q

Tue Dec 16 09:23:44 2008

@Ming, I was talking about "how-to" Idiots books in general.

by: Gail

Tue Dec 16 12:59:26 2008

I think using 'geezer' is a great gimmick.  It might just catch on.  Who knew so many people would buy books for 'dummies' and 'idiots'.....

I'd rather be called a geezer than an idiot, anyday.