Thu Dec 11 2008 15:56:38

Auctiva Demonstrates New Storefront Offering

We wrote about Auctiva's new project, an online storefront service, in November. Today Auctiva sent an email to its users with a sneak peak in the form of a demo video.

"Starting in January 2009, you will be able to set up an online store using Auctiva Commerce. We have the best features and prices available to help you easily build and manage your store. Watch our demo video to get a sneak peek. We know it has become increasingly difficult to make money on eBay. Creating your own online store with Auctiva Commerce is the answer."

You can watch the video on Youtube.

Auctiva Demonstrates New Storefront Offering   Auctiva Demonstrates New Storefront Offering

by: jim

Thu Dec 11 16:50:28 2008

Can we search through all sellers items on the site? Or are they just a host for a bunch of individual stores? If buyers can search through Auctiva site, they have all my listings.

by: Auctiva Jeff

Thu Dec 11 18:35:55 2008

Jim, good question.  We'll be creating a portal where you'll be able to search across all our sellers stores. We'll also be delivering some traffic to that portal to help drive sales for sellers.

Jeff

by: jim

Thu Dec 11 19:24:43 2008

Nice! Is it free?

by: Auctiva Jeff

Thu Dec 11 20:08:58 2008

No it will not be free.  The fees are reasonable and the few sellers we've discussed them with have been excited by the value.

by: Dannon

Thu Dec 11 20:55:43 2008

Can I get one of those mugs? ;)

by: Dannon

Thu Dec 11 21:01:51 2008

Tell us more about the traffic to the site. This whole idea reeks of brilliance if you do this right.

by: ebay seller

Thu Dec 11 21:18:05 2008

Now this sounds very promising!

by: Jim

Thu Dec 11 21:34:14 2008

Are your current users going to be able to use your listing service for ebay for free....or will that change?

by: Daisy

Fri Dec 12 01:07:42 2008

I use Auctiva for some of my auction listings and I see a lot of sellers use their services for all listings. They email me informative information and I like their overall performance.

I really hope this idea takes off! If it's done right, I have no problem paying Auctiva in order to get off Ebay for good.

by: Joe

Fri Dec 12 09:16:06 2008

I really do not need just another online storefront. I already have Google, Amazon, Adwords, my website cart and Yahoo all with good traffic and sales, what's so different about your storefront offerings with no traffic?

by: Nancy

Fri Dec 12 10:46:39 2008

The screen shots weren't clear and in an attempt to make it seem really simple details were left out.  It looks promising and I'm very interested, but lots of questions are left unanswered.  My main question is:  Can you sell digital downloads?

by: Dan

Fri Dec 12 12:15:13 2008

Does the Auctiva storefront let you work with one inventory that is allocated to both eBay and the Auctiva storefront. Or do I need to track the inventory for each venue separately?

by: Patricia

Fri Dec 12 12:29:34 2008

If there are listing fees then I won't bother.  I'm getting tired of places starting out and charging listing fees.  I'm okay with a reasonable FVF but I'm never again going to help build another site that charges listing fees.  Immediately they win and I lose.

by: Patricia

Fri Dec 12 12:42:35 2008

Okay, I watched the video and I went to their forum.  Posters are asking about fees and Auctiva seems to be dragging their feet in announcing what the fees will be.  I suspect a monthly fee plus FVF at the very least...and frankly, I'm tired of these monthly fees on startup sites (yes, this site still has no real traffic).  They depend on sellers coming and buying from each other while they wait for traffic to build.  In effect we come and pay them while they build their business - instead of having a business open and ready (with advertising in place to attract traffic).  Vendio contacted me recently with much the same program.

by: Daisy

Fri Dec 12 15:07:18 2008

You make some really good points, Pat. I can't afford to pay upfront fees at a brand new venue and pay Ebay too. At least on Ebay I make semi decent sales. They just treat me very poorly. Tired of it.

by: Patricia

Fri Dec 12 15:19:02 2008

@Daisy - I'm getting tired of paying up front for maybe some sales and on these startup sites I'll pay an awful lot in fees before I start making some decent sales.  The burden is all on me and not on them.  There aren't many startup businesses that don't have to put money up front to begin...except these internet businesses - they seem to make fees from day one ;-)

No offense Autiva but that's my honest view on how I'm seeing things.

by: Auctiva Jeff

Fri Dec 12 18:27:04 2008

"My main question is:  Can you sell digital downloads?"

"I already have Google, Amazon, Adwords, my website cart and Yahoo all with good traffic and sales"

It sounds like you have you a good grasp on things and don't need us.  We're doing all those things for people which they'd otherwise never have time to mess with.  On top of that we're hosting and storing their listings, managing backups, user accounts for employees, and so on.  Many will choose to use our site just for the rich features management alone.

"Auctiva seems to be dragging their feet in announcing what the fees will be"

Not at all.  We've shared pricing with some users already and have had very positive response.  As well I've discussed my philosophy on pricing in many of the threads on the Auctiva message boards.  Obviously fees are important to people, we more than anyone know that as we've offered free eBay management tools and image hosting for almost 4 years now.  We'll be announcing the fees soon and will also be having an extended 2 month free trial when the site goes live January 20th.  There are not listing fees to answer that question.

by: Dannon

Fri Dec 12 20:04:38 2008

The natives have become very savvy and won't be bought with a case of whiskey and couple of shotguns anymore. The more we get strung along the more antagonistic we will get.

We want openness and respect. So far the only company to act on these principles won't give us auctions and that is Google. They are also the only company who could put eBay where they belong-in our memories.

by: HappyHolidays

Fri Dec 12 21:54:47 2008

@ Patricia

I agree, but :-)

iOffer - FREE to sign up / NO listing fee, small FVF / run 'till sold

Bidtopia - FREE to sign up/ NO listing fee / small FVF / 25 cent for auction items that do NOT sell

eBid - sign up fee / FREE listing / small FVF if you use gallery / run 'till sold

Online Auction - sign up fee / FREE listing / NO FVF / run 'till sold

I am offering on all four, plus ebay, and have sales on all five.

Still hoping for GOOGLE!!!!! to start an auction site...
I will drop all five in a heart beat and move to GOOGLE - hello !!!!

by: Patricia

Fri Dec 12 22:04:04 2008

Happy Holidays - add Bonanzle to that list and Wigix as well.  Far as I know they are free to list.  I've sold some items on Bonanzle - free shop and small FVF when you sell.  Works for me.  I'm not about to hand out listing fees or monthly store fees anymore...Ebay taught me only too well ;-)  They have less traffic now and are still squeezing sellers for those fees.  Add blujay to the free to list line and ecrater - there are lots of them.

PS:  doesn't onlineauction charge like 8.00 a month for the shop?  It did when I had one.  Finally closed it down - just another lesson on not paying for a shop or to list.