Wed Nov 19 2008 18:14:33

PayPal Security Key Locks out Users

PayPal users who use the PayPal security key are reporting they are having problems accessing their accounts for the past few days. The PayPal Security Key is optional and creates random temporary security codes that help safeguard PayPal account when logging in.

UPDATE 11/20/08: Some sellers now reporting intermittent problems with PayPal Shipping.

by: Harry

Wed Nov 19 19:34:26 2008

GlitchBay. GlitchPal.

GlitchPal... I like that!

Locked out of their own accounts. Sadly funny. The ultimate security device, it even keeps you out.

by: Patrick Alexander

Wed Nov 19 20:50:00 2008

And this surprises anyone ???

eBay/PayPal I.T. is the laughingstock of the internet...

Only a moron would trust this company with any sizable amount of $$$.

by: mark

Wed Nov 19 21:23:20 2008

Oh boy, the funny Paypal security gadget.... A priceless privilege for some! In (mainland) Europe we could never order it. Probably because Europe is safe and we don't need it? Try to explain that one PayPal. What a joke. Hope Paypal goes bust a.s.a.p.

by: Dannon

Wed Nov 19 21:25:21 2008

I threw that thingy in the trash about 2 weeks after I got it. I regreted paying $10 bucks for it. That was many months ago.

by: ss

Wed Nov 19 21:57:46 2008

hahahahaha Didn't anyone think that with all the glitches that it would happen.

by: ebay is scum

Thu Nov 20 07:04:54 2008

HA HA lol. More "glitches" that benefits sleazebay and paypal: Anti-sellers sites.

by: Walter

Thu Nov 20 08:33:50 2008

As usual, lots of useful comments from people here....

There are multiple problems with paypal currently related to the security token.

1. The transition from the logon page to the security token page often causes IE7 to crash.  I use Firefox as well, but firefox causes a problem with the Multi-Order shipping tool failing to print scan sheets and package summaries correctly, so I have to use IE.

2. The security token entry requires 2 entries before it allows access to the system.  This changed to a complete failure a couple of days ago, requiring alternate account verification, but now seems to have returned back to it's previously state of being only a little glitchy.

Maybe they laid off the people who know how to fix this?

by: Dannon

Thu Nov 20 10:21:20 2008

@Walter "lots of useful comments from people here...."

you are right, but eBay has made us all nuts

by: Sucked Dry Day by Day

Thu Nov 20 11:49:23 2008

@Walter "lots of useful comments from people here...."

...As if they don't deserve them?

by: Noneya

Thu Nov 20 13:04:00 2008

Reading on the Ebay boards that sellers checking accounts have holds on them for the amount that should be coming out of Paypal... What a sad state of affairs.
Remove all your money from Paypal and cancel your Paypal accounts.
Lock Paypal out of your life, get a merchant account and move on.

by: RJ

Thu Nov 20 14:18:53 2008

There seems to quite a large number of programming bugs with Paypal going on right now.   It would be interesting to see them all listed in one spot.

For instance, when I log in, the screen just stalls/hangs, and I must click the "If this page appears for more than 5 seconds, click here to reload." link.

The "eligibility/partial eligibility" or "confirmed address" info is missing from every single Transaction Details page (so I must phone Paypal every single time that I get a payment, to know if the payment qualifies for SSP).

On the Transactions Details page, if I click the "Learn more about how PayPal protects sellers" link, I get this message.  (You have requested an outdated version of PayPal. This error often results from the use of bookmarks. To enter the PayPal website please click on the Welcome tab.
If you are already logged in, please click on the My Account tab to continue.)

The three issues that I've listed, should not be occurring.   Is Paypal really a safe and secure site?    In my opinion, NO!

by: RicRoe

Thu Nov 20 15:46:05 2008

Who here is surprised that PayPal has experienced one glitch right after another since they made PayPal the only payment form for most eBay sellers?

Who here is surprised by the fact that PayPal profits everytime they place an account hold or lock members out of their accounts with their glitch of the day.

Who here is surprised that sellers are the ones that take the DSR hit and possible account suspensions for slow transactional shipping caused by PayPal only glitches?

Who here is surprised that PayPal is obviously incapable of operating honestly and ethically with their customers?

Since migrating off eBay, my online sales now run about 8 to 1 through Google Checkout where I have experienced no bugs or glitches.

eBay and PayPal can not manage their own affairs and yet they want to dictate to sellers how every facet of every transaction should be handled.

eBay seriously needs to get their own house in order as they are the wrong company to be dictating to others.

by: MERMAID

Thu Nov 20 17:31:52 2008

Paypal is not FDIC insured. They are not a bank. They do not have to act like a bank.

Check out these PayPal alternatives:

by: Just Little Ol' Me

Fri Nov 21 00:44:21 2008

That PayPal security key fob is nothing but a joke to begin with, IMO. (I do know a little about it. he-he-he)

If I had to guess though about all these constant glitches I would say that paypal is being 'hacked' in more than one way. No other explanation explains adequately everything we are seeing.
(some "glitches" may be intentional by management, some malicious by disgruntled employees or "hacktivists", as well as real hacker$)

Has everyone had a chance to see this from Register UK?
"Phisher-besieged PayPal directs users to faux log-in page"

How many different things can cause that?

The smartest thing to do is to close out your accounts and get as far away from PayPal as you can. (close out or change your connected bnk & CC accounts first)
You never know what the next "glitch" will be. They can clean out your bank balances and disappear... What's to stop them?

Remember, there is NO guarantee with PayPal. No guarantee of anything.
read that UA.

by: pete

Fri Nov 21 10:14:45 2008

RE: FDIC insured:
Yes they are.  refer to the last Town Hall meeting.

Even PayPal cheerleaders are shamed.  Thye do not even know how to use the PayPal announcement board.  They have to 'hide' official announcements in forum post and blogs.  Not the way to run a billion dollar corporation.

by: Mountainwizard

Fri Nov 21 12:48:31 2008

Amazing how many people are shocked at this popular product having a problem. The support for PayPal is obvious.

Has anyone a record of how many days PayPal is actually up and running with out any glitches. I would personally be surprised if it has 10 days in a row with out some kind of glitch. eBay certainly has this kind of performance record. I do not believe eBay even makes it 7 days with out some type of glitch. I am of course referring to the real world not the made up one that PayPal and eBay live in where they simply deny the problems and pretend that everything is OK.

by: Peter Leeflang/CEO Leeflang Archives Corporation

Fri Nov 21 13:11:45 2008

If the security key issue would only be the sole problem.

In reality Paypal is quickly becoming unusable for both buyers and sellers.

A couple of issues:
1) Paypal used to let new buyers buy immediately by entering their card on Paypal. Nowadays, Paypal is denying such buyers 'direct payment' but instead the buyer has to wait many days to get approved.

The consequence is 'buyer abandonment' of transaction since they are often in a hurry to get the item. I had this situation when I bought myself on Ebay recently using a brand new Paypal account for my private purchases.

2) Many of my buyers report that now Paypal is requiring that the buyer enter a bank account number or sign up for Paypal's own credit card. This kind of requiremenst also make buyers abadon the transaction (or they call me to say they want to mail a check or money order or give their card on the phone).

3) Sellers like us who are also accepting Paypal virtual terminal card payments by phone have noticed that the purchasers do not get any email anymore from Paypal's virtual terminal, despite a seller entering correect email information.

4) Paypal now require buyers to add a bank account number as soon as they reach a $5000 lifetime limit, which effectively means that they are eventually forced to divulge very confidential information, which most buyer will simply resist. They then cancel their account with Paypal.

In general we are being inundated with buyer stories of problems with Paypal like never before.

It may be wise for my fellow sellers to hedge their bets by getting one's own merchant account.

by: Dannon

Fri Nov 21 16:45:05 2008

I have withdrawn my credit card and bank account info from my Paypal account. They can no longer use it to withdraw money from my accounts. The account can sit. I have all but closed it. Too scary. They are eBay and eBay is a loose cannon. When I do decide to start selling on the net again it will be from my own website with my own merchant account.

by: Steve

Fri Nov 21 18:27:29 2008

Apart from this one temporary glitch, I have never had any problem with my eBay/PayPal security key. I'm glad to have it protecting my accounts. I have used a similar device for remote access to our corporate network and they provide excellent security.

For all the whinging about eBay and PayPal, I have been using both for over 5 years, many thousands of transactions, not one problem.

by: George

Sat Nov 22 12:19:15 2008

Something Smells Bad with eBay's PayPal Glitches
by: George
"Glitches" - yeah right!!!
I was one of the 'pinks' recently fired.  I think it's about time that the public know what a sham Paypal and

Ebay have become.  Ebay owns Paypal. Except for very early on, the first few months of it's operation,

paypal never had/have any glitches.  This is all to keep the buyers/sellers' money and gain revenue from

it.  Of course, they do not pay interest to the buyers and sellers.  As for the reporting to the IRS, that's

also baloney: IRS reporting is to start for the calendar year 2011.  These revenues now reported couldn't

be included on any tax returns/reports.  That is all 'blather' - a lame excuse to cover up for their phony

'glitches'.
As stated, paypal is not a bank, not regulated by banking laws, and so far, not accountable for the money

that they basically steal from sellers and buyers.  They have to be subjected and regulated by US

banking laws.  They hold your money...it's as if you gave your money to a stranger on the street and said

'hold this for me' and then you hoped that you would get it back.  That's a very simple equation, but also

very very similar to what you run into with paypal and ebay.   After the elections are over and done with,

the new administration would definitely be friendlier to consumers (remember, Meg Whitman was a

strong supporter of McCain - and vice versa.....an excellent reason, alone, NOT to have cast a vote for

McCain!).  But to get back on track, Paypal must be regulated and held accountable. The new politicians

elected can remedy this once in office.  You see how Paypal operated differently in Australia with these

fake 'glitches'.  They fear the legal backlash that they have already unleashed by their duplicity in

Australia and cannot, there, get away with the lies that they spew out here in the States!
Senator Christopher Dodd has just given a speech about the abuses of customers suffered at the hands

of the banks and credit card companies.  He favors oversight and guidelines.  Write him about Paypal

and Ebay...Ebay owns Paypal...and complain how this miserable company can operate and handle

millions of dollars without oversight and regulation.  WRITE HIM.  The change will then come. Once

Paypal is looked at, it never could operate as unlawfully as it does - case closed!