Mon Nov 17 2008 19:31:33

eBay Search Goes into Repair Shop

By: David Steiner

Some announcements just lend themselves to cheap humor more than others. eBay posted the following on their System Announcements Board around noon today:

We will be performing necessary maintenance on our Search system starting at 8pm tonight, and finishing at 8pm PT Wednesday, 11/19. During this time, searching for items on eBay may display inconsistent Search results about 33% of the time. Refreshing your browser page once or twice should bring up the complete set of Search results.

The maintenance itself should not take long, but extra time is required to allow the changes to populate to our multiple data centers. We expect Search results to be consistent again by 8pm PT on Wednesday 11/19.

We apologize for any confusion this may cause, and want to assure you that this maintenance is absolutely necessary to ensure a consistent and accurate Search experience for our members. Thank you for your patience and support.

I guess the question is - will anyone be able to tell the difference?

by: ps

Mon Nov 17 19:38:42 2008

So..... do we (the sellers) get a 33% discount for the time that our items won't show???

by: Jeff S

Mon Nov 17 19:51:51 2008

[humor mode] HA HA HA [/humor mode]

by: Jim S.

Mon Nov 17 20:05:11 2008

It NEVER fails... Come every holiday shopping season eBay keeps screwing around instead of locking everything down Nov-Dec. It has happened every year since I have been selling.

by: maybe

Mon Nov 17 21:19:41 2008

maybe this glitch will actually help my STR go up.

probably not.

ps if these glitches keep continuing and my sales keep dropping, i'll probably just stop using ebay and just send them money for nothing. at least that way, i won't have to waste time listing stuff.

by: maybe

Mon Nov 17 21:22:50 2008

wait! scratch that last comment. i think i'll just buy some ebay stock. that'll be a good way to get rid of this damn money that's just keeps cluttering up my bank acct.

eBay Search Goes into Repair Shop   eBay Search Goes into Repair Shop

by: one of the searchers

Mon Nov 17 22:58:53 2008

I've already seen someone claim that  ''inconsistent results 33% of the time'' actually would be an IMPROVEMENT.

by: mindelec

Mon Nov 17 23:00:51 2008

of course it must be broken, i've had better sales in the past week than i've had in a long time.

by: Ann

Mon Nov 17 23:32:34 2008

There's a difference?!! Where?

Seriously, no compensation for us sellers whose listings are affected?

And how does this affect buyer confidence when they can't find anything? They'll leave and not come back (just like the sellers).

by: ma

Mon Nov 17 23:35:56 2008

OH wow I didnt think of that mindelec. Oh dear you mean the 10% increase in my 20% str is because its broken. wow.
whatever will I do with all this money Im making... maybe after I pay one other bill they will fix it and I too can go back to working to pay ebay.
Maybe you might have an idea, ebay stock oh yeah. Maybe I can retire like MW did? wow wouldnt that be special...Oh so special... opps sorry drifted into song. ma

by: jack

Tue Nov 18 00:13:27 2008

Lets be straight here...eBay has basically become an expensive form of on-line sales with terrible STR and a ridicules constant flow of Glitches.

I foresee a terrible situation for any Bay seller after the Christmas rush…why anyone really thinks to continue with eBay is totally beyond me; yes you can say it has the largest volume of window shoppers on the web, but seriously for the rubbish sell thro and stress factor with the fees etc WHY STAY, only to make eBay float a little longer

by: Kristoffer

Tue Nov 18 00:58:09 2008

Inconsistent Search results about 33% of the time... hell that in itself seems like an improvement in the inconsistent results that come up already!  Seriously, I have had the most sales yesterday and today than I have had in a long time. That's not saying too much considering how my sales have dropped but I really do wonder if their 'maintenance' is the cause of that?

by: Kevin Bach

Tue Nov 18 02:18:39 2008

This is what we call "eBay Job Security"
I think these people at eBay trying to justify their existence, in fact there is nothing need to be improved.  I know how I survived series of layoff's during 2001-2003 recession.  Just break the systems, and fix it.  Do that over and over again, then upper idiot management will not let you go because they think you are doing something and they feel that you are eBay VIP.  We must be in recession.  I don't understand ebay keep changing category numbers over and over again, every month?  They just need to add a new number right?  Instead, they just shuffling the entire category number.  They must be really desperate to keep their jobs. LOL

by: Anon

Tue Nov 18 03:36:07 2008

Anyone seeing a pattern forming here? Sales all the sudden start happening and ebay all the sudden wants to do maintenance on their Search engine? hmmmm

by: Buyer

Tue Nov 18 05:49:20 2008

As a buyer I've given up on shopping at eBay.  Search working 33% of the time would be a vast improvement.  Unless I want something a seller in my favorites has, there's no way to find "it."

by: RJ

Tue Nov 18 07:25:34 2008

I saw eBay's announcement.   The first throught that came to my mind was, "I'm so glad that I don't have a single item listed on eBay right now."

My second thought was, "I hope this doesn't mean that eBay is taking away the old regular search platform."

My third thought was, "I wonder what this will break?"

by: Kitty

Tue Nov 18 07:44:56 2008

Puleeze!  eBay isn't fixing search, it is adjusting search to include the new pay per click they are advertising.  This will further bump the regular eBay auction seller to the farthest reaches of the back pages.

Unless you pay to be seen (more than usual) go elsewhere.  Your listings will be buried in Chinese junk and dropshipper stuff.

by: Kitty

Tue Nov 18 07:46:57 2008

eBay double-speak at it's finest.
Gonna fix search like they lowered prices.

by: Wake-Up!

Tue Nov 18 09:07:37 2008

Let me see if I understand this...

Best Match doesn't work 95% of the time, and now it's going to be 33% less effective? So during this time expect an inconsistent search result of minus 128% during this time frame?

Watch the stocks fall simultaneously with the changes:

by: Wake-Up!

Tue Nov 18 09:16:22 2008

How do they know it will be exactly 33%? I mean, why so accurate on the percentage?  Why not 30% or 40%, you know, a general even number?....

They must be pretty sure of the percentage of PAID LISTINGS that won't show correctly in the search results for the next 48 hours, and then it's back to the original ''flop'' ''Best Match'' and buried behind BUY dot com.

by: jt

Tue Nov 18 09:46:13 2008

Hmmmmmmm, time for a class action lawsuit.....
I mean, what company can get away with such poor timing and percentage of glitches?  Actually given the current economic state, probably way too many!
Jeeesh!