Fri Oct 24 2008 21:59:28

eBay Launches Feedback Revision, Check-Ban Still Stuck

Sellers have been waiting all week for an announcement from eBay about its policy-ban on checks and money orders, which was slated to go into effect on Monday. But the platform changes that support the new policy are still not in place, according to a message finally posted to the Systems Announcement Board earlier today.

eBay had better luck with the new feedback policy, announcing it is now available to sellers. Feedback Revision lets sellers send a set number of invitations to buyers asking them to change their feedback. According to today's post, the Feedback Revision tool is now available.

For those wanting to understand how eBay factors recent sales into its search algorithm, this explanation would be helpful,... except, the length of time is hypothetical and can vary by category and is subject to change. In other words, like everything else to do with Best Match, eBay ain't telling.

eBay Launches Feedback Revision, Check-Ban Still Stuck   eBay Launches Feedback Revision, Check-Ban Still Stuck

by: Karl

Fri Oct 24 23:03:17 2008

This company never ceases to amaze me. They really have ''issues'' with numbers and data. For crying out loud, it would just be so much simpler to just sell, get your feedback, and sell some more. No, we have to have ''points'' and ''windows'', ''Ratios'', ''Fresh Data'', ''Stale Data''. Give me a break...

All this stuff is what takes the fun away and is why sellers are fleeing.

by: terry

Sat Oct 25 04:31:58 2008

And they lied once again.....this time concerning the feedback revision. We were told by a UK Ebay employee that 0-1000 got your 5 revisions, 1001-2000 got 10, etc. etc.

However, 0-2000 all get only 5.

I swear Ebay UK has the absolute most stupid-ass pinks/employees of all the sites. They have given so much misinformation it's not even funny.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Oct 25 04:46:52 2008

The ONLY thing any seller needs to know about ebay is this:

EBAY LIES.

The LIE, CHEAT, and STEAL about everything and anything and, just about every explanation, every statement, every excuse is another LIE.

They're intentionally conducting systematic psychological warfare against sellers no doubt created by some dirty trick specialist/consultant hired from the Republican Party.

Ebay's LIES know no bounds. They steal money from sellers with hundreds of thousands of mysterious double listings, mysterious relisitngs of sold items, and intentional overbilling and then refuse to audit your account, send statements that can be hundreds of feet long when printed out, refuse to provide explanations for their unilateral, often imperious actions that have profound and harmful effects on their customers, employ the most incompetent code writers and programmers on the planet, provide NO helpful customer service whatsoever, and whose BoD operates in their PERSONAL best interests, not necessarily in the best interests of all shareholders.

Ebay embodies all that is wrong with American corporations and their enablers, Wall Street, the banks, and the business media.

Ebay is the most duplicitous, deceitful, and despicable corporation in the world run by the most duplicitous, deceitful, and despicable executives in the world.

by: quadstream

Sat Oct 25 05:53:20 2008

I'm with Ming.  Well put mate.

by: the_widget_hunters

Sat Oct 25 06:00:39 2008

Don't sit on the fence Ming.

Say it as you see it.

And feel free to share your views on this eBay community Board

Look forward to seeing you.

by: SD

Sat Oct 25 07:02:21 2008

"Ebay is the most duplicitous, deceitful, and despicable corporation in the world run by the most duplicitous, deceitful, and despicable executives in the world"

Does your therapist know you have access to a computer?

If ebay is that bad why use it? Is it because you do not have the intelligence not to? Or do the aliens make you do it?

by: republican voting democratic

Sat Oct 25 08:00:50 2008

Feedback is a joke. I for one will wear the red donut as a badge of honor. It will be a cold day in h--l before I beg for a feedback reversal from anyone. People need to spend more time doing customer service and stop worrying about feedback. Most red donuts are well deserved by the seller. GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON.

by: Kat

Sat Oct 25 10:57:31 2008

Ming is right.  Not only is he right, all of you are falling for the typical eBay announcement.  Ebay announces changes in feedback...OK real hot button.
Did anyone notice checks, and Money orders are gone, while there are constant site glitches allowing international bidders to win items maked USA bidders only?
Some sellers will be forced to sell, forced to allow PayPal, then watch as some fall to PayPal disputes.
PayPal will not stick up for sellers with no tracking, delivery number.
Why doesn't eBay just cut out all the game playing and just delete us small sellers and be done with it already?

by: MERMAIDMONKEYS

Sat Oct 25 13:36:45 2008

Former Platinum PowerSeller chiming in... I quit selling in May 2008 when the whole feedback and revisions started happening. At first I was in disgust that my perfect 100% feedback was reduced to 99.7% because of "neutrals" I received. These people never gave me a chance or warning. They just gave a neutral when I could have fixed their problem.

When I was selling in the first quarter of 2008, my life was turned upside-down just about every time someone on eBay would ask me a question. I felt as though any possible moment I could get a negative just because I didn't respond quickly enough or the priority mail shipping wasn't fast enough for my clients (even though they only paid for parcel post), or because the buyer didn't read a very clear information mapped description. I was bending over backwards happily for my clients, but feeling like I was on the firing line simply because of how eBay set up the juvenile selling atmosphere where buyers feel it's their right to get MORE THAN WHAT THEY PAID FOR. I can only imagine that's what sellers feel like today.

eBay buyers expect Champagne on their beer budget, and eBay's feedback policy has made it impossible to have any sense of sanity.

My anger and disdain for eBay has not subsided since May. I'm on the fence as to whether the feedback revision idea will be enough to bring me back. I had considered it, but the damage is done and I still don't feel fully protected.

When is eBay going to provide sellers with a sense of security? Amazon provides sellers with a sense of security. It's not a juvenile selling playground. They have a platform that respects buyers and sellers alike.

eBay? No way!

by: Sheri357

Sat Oct 25 16:06:23 2008

I am with Mermaidmonkeys - my story exactly and can't say it any better.  Maybe I don't have the stamina or stomach for the business risk on ebay, but I don't see myself going back as it is and this change has not made any difference for me.  I sell on Amazon and Bonanzle now and do it with pleasure.

by: Pauline

Sat Oct 25 16:26:44 2008

I try to do the right thing. But I have to protect myself and my paycheck. Paypal is too risky to accept so I don't use it. I can't sell my items to my customers in Canada or Japan because I won't accept a faulty and dangerous payment system.
So my customers in Canada and Japan call my company directly and order the item I have listed on ebay. The listing is canceled and the item gets sold to a happy customer.
The result is ebay doesn't get their cut and the customer doesn't get to leave me good feedback.

I'd be happy to pay them their cut, I look at it a referral fee, but they don't want to make it easy for me to get the item sold.. so..
It's stupid but I didn't make their rules for them.

I have noticed a good 'work around' for this from other antiques sellers. They accept Paypal but request that payments for items over 200. be made through their merchant account. And nothing they have is under 200.
Smart.

Ebay is costing themselves good sellers and good profits by making us work on a constantly shifting ground. I don't care what weird rules they come up with anymore, I go around or through their new rules and keep selling. My customers like me, they like my products and they like our customer service. I have no problems dealing with Ebay anymore, I just ignore their psycho landscape of business strategy and keep doing what I do best. Sell.

by: Patricia

Sat Oct 25 17:06:07 2008

Ming...you're right on as usual!  Now tell us how you really feel :-)

by: Tired

Sat Oct 25 21:12:47 2008

This is BS! What about the A$$holes that leave positive feedback and then leave you ONE's on your DSR's?????????????????
eBay won't tell you so your screwed regarding discounts and search placement.  What a bunch of thieving, lying, conniving people, that goes for the buyers and eBay!

How many folks that are still selling on eBay that have a ton of store listings that refuse to remove the check and money order info from those listings?  Am I the only one??????????

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Sat Oct 25 22:07:34 2008

I refused to sell the minute I got the notice from ebay in January that the policies were changing. I'm not going to put myself through all their sickening negative re-inforcement techniques. They don't work, and they only continue to compound the negative reinforcement tactics with yet more complicated ones.

Policy makers in their company are misguided and living in a business world from 10 years ago. They have no style or willingness to keep to their original form.

Ebay is an auction site. They forgot that. It was their bread and butter. They forgot that too. That's why the company is dying and everyone is leaving.

Personally, I can't wait till the stock hits the single digits, because at that price I can gamble that someone else will come along and rescue the company from itself.

by: Topshlf

Sat Oct 25 23:32:34 2008

I don't agree with Ming the Moron.

Ebay is not like the Republican party, it's more like the Communist Party.

All they do time and time again is look to micromanage every single thing on Ebay in a way that saps any sort of normalcy out of running a business. It's like a huge messed up bureaucracy that has no idea what it is doing except that it knows it must continue to heap more burden on those of us working out there in the rice fields.

Every time Ebay does something, it winds up taking more money out of our pockets, while adding more to theirs.

There's only so far they can squeeze us before they tax the golden goose to death.

The DSR thing is the biggest debacle I have ever seen. They can lower your search standings or ban you because ''they say'' your numbers are below what they think is ok.

Yet they give you no way of knowing that what they say is true. We can't see the numbers, so we have to assume that they are telling the truth? Yeah, that really works.

If Ebay wants to keep this DSR system, it's needs to have total transparency. I don't trust them to tell me how I'm doing. I want to see it for myself. My business is too important to my life to have these people screwing around with it every few months.

With the recession that we are in, now is certainly not the time for Ebay to discourage folks from selling. I hope to hell someone over there realizes this.

Ebay... LAY OFF, Get out of my way and let me sell things without having to cut through all the red tape you keep throwing at me!

by: mike

Sat Oct 25 23:41:58 2008

Ebay keeps making changes but they seem to keep most of the sellers as much as the sellers dislike Ebay. This will change as new sites are more known by buyers and sellers.Just remember
Kmart was a big chain before Walmart. Seeauctions.com is new site for antiques and collectibles and will get to be a well known site. As more sites are growing Ebay will not have the power to do as they want. They will change or become a Kmart story

by: Practicallyperfect

Sun Oct 26 07:26:15 2008

get real, that was the best move they made - NOBODY is perfect, and if you have neuts you do not have 100% poss - the big mistake was removing it.

And I'm speaking as a PS.

The only think that eBay has maybe got wrong, is leaving it to little to late.

by: joe ebay seller

Sun Oct 26 07:59:40 2008

FEEDBACK ... WHAT FEEDBACK... I DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE FEEDBACK SYSTEM AT ALL...BUYERS LEAVE FEEDBACK FOR ME AND I COULD CARE LESS. I DON'T LEAVE FEEDBACK FOR BUYERS WHAT-SO-EVER NOT EVEN IF THEY ASK FOR IT...THE FEEDBACK SYSTEM IS HIGHLY LEVERAGED FOR BUYERS AND I FEEL, DOES NOT JUSTIFY MY PARTICIPATION. JUST MY QUIET LITTLE EBAY BOYCOTT, WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO EBAYS FEEDBACK SYSTEM IF ALL SELLERS DID THIS...JOE

by: me can you see

Sun Oct 26 08:24:09 2008

what ever sd says above ignore just a bad troll from q&a forums

ebay are utter carp the feedback revisions will make no difference its just another tool for buyers to get some more cash knocked off thier purchase , eg: leave neg you send them mail to get the fb changed you get mail back from buyer with a nice comment of no problem how much is it worth

dumb way to go ebay keep alienating your sellers

by: Aran

Sun Oct 26 08:30:24 2008

You have to wonder why eBay can't make it as simple as Amazon - a buyer or seller can simply retract feedback for whatever reason they like. In fact, why not make it editable?  Too sensible?

It's pathetic enough having only 80 characters (are they STILL using punched-card machines?) when 256 would give more scope.

And it's a complete screw that sellers can't leave neutral or neg feedback.  Are they really trying to kick out sellers - gonna be pretty one-sided if they do!

I begin to see eBay's policies as dim and cloistered. Are they working from an old monastery or catacomb?