Wed Oct 15 2008 12:39:27

eBay Glitches Bound to Distract Sellers

There are a number of technical issues sellers are coping with this week. It appears that eBay DSRs (Detailed Seller Ratings) are not showing up correctly in the Seller Dashboard. I received a few emails from sellers last night:

"The DSR portion of my dashboard is not functioning tonight....it's all grayed on both the dashboard and on the calculation page."

"The screen shot attached show the page where eBay shows how they figure your discount (the stat portion). Note: it is completely blank and the drop down thing is also blank. It's been this way for about 24 hours that I know about. Does this mean they are going to rook me out of my discount? I have never seen this before."

I also checked the Feedback discussion board and found sellers reporting issues with DSRs.

Along with the DSR glitch, there may be a problem with Featured Listings. Two emails received this morning report that there are only a couple of featured auctions on the front page of categories. Both sellers are sure that this is new, but are not sure if it's intentional or a glitch. The first seller went on to say, "When you opt out of the new search experience all of the featured auctions show up."

The second seller described the research and testing he did before implementing his featured-listing strategy in a particular category, and continued:

Well I've been successful for just over a week. I've paid $600 to eBay and put some money in my own pocket. That was until this week. All my listings are closing at a horrendous 20% conversion and fees are killing me. I just investigated and sure enough eBay has changed the game again!

Now they limit Featured Plus listings to just 10-15 per page using ending soonest. So while there are 400 featured plus listings at a minimum of $10 per listing most are closing tonight and buried back in the pages with the 35 cent listings. You've got to be frickin kidding me! I spent $114 to list 10 auctions with Featured Plus and they're not going to be on page one until they have less than 30 minutes to run and then they're going to be listed with a flood of 99 cent websites right under them. Does eBay seriously think they can charge us $10 for FP and bury us in the back? I'm just sick about this and will be on eBay chat in the AM demanding a refund! FP says top of category not 10 per page and now you're 40 pages back because we need to bring 99 cent websites to top.

Bottom line is I'll have to sink or swim but wanted to bring to your attention what I've seen. The last 3 weeks that category has been running at 3100 listings average. Go look now, it's at 6300 and still climbing! I guess eBay would rather make a bunch of pennies off of 99 cent sites rather than dollars off of $50 sites.

Yesterday eBay posted about a search glitch affecting Title & Description search, which I reported in today's AuctionBytes Newsflash. A reader responded to the article:

I think this recent announcement needs to be further investigated and reported on. Based on information I received from the "crack" ebay staff when inquiring about these problems, I believe there is more going on here. My feeling is this is much, much larger an issue than they are willing to admit. As a power seller on ebay, I had recently noticed a significant drop in both sales and traffic for my listings. I had attributed this to the recent bad economic/financial news. Now, I am convinced that ebay's technical problems have played a significant role in this result. Maybe you would be able to gain some real insight into this. Wouldn't it be great if ebay was just a little more transparent about themselves??

These are issues that are likely to distract sellers at a time when they should be focusing on sales.

eBay Glitches Bound to Distract Sellers   eBay Glitches Bound to Distract Sellers

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Wed Oct 15 12:45:49 2008

I forgot to mention this PayPal glitch sent in from a reader today - is anyone else having trouble signing in to PayPal?

"I went to my PP page to sign in, and all the characters were showing in Chinese. On 2 different browsers. A few minutes later, back in English. Then it changed yet again to a language I am assuming is Eastern European."

by: David

Wed Oct 15 13:01:32 2008

The featured glitch is what needs to be addressed immediately. I saw one seller that used featured plus on page 87 of a 91 page category.

To spend $40 to be on page 87 is just robbery in my opinion

by: mike

Wed Oct 15 13:44:15 2008

exactly same problem here, the discount section is all grayed out, see the screenshots

ch2lu4.jpg

by: Daisy

Wed Oct 15 14:25:19 2008

The whole year has been a distraction. One huge waste. It's hard to stay focused when big change after change occurs. And I imagine it's the same at the corporate head quarters.

Donahoe in no leader and should step down for the good of the company which millions of individuals count on to make a living.

by: Franci

Wed Oct 15 14:27:48 2008

eBay is beginning to be like it was back in 2000 and 2001 when it was constantly unstable, crashed and was once down for 22 hours.   Those days it was caused by extreme growth and poor technical planning on eBay's part.  Now it appears to be only the continued poor technical planning.  Whatever it is,it is a disgrace.

The last 30 days have been the worst of my 8 year career on eBay.  And no end in sight.  It's astonishing!!

by: Glitches

Wed Oct 15 14:50:00 2008

IS this the BEST EBAY CAN DO.I don't think so.It's time for NEW and IMPROVED LEADERSHIP at all levels.

by: Mike

Wed Oct 15 14:50:58 2008

I'm the person that wrote the letter to Ina.  eBay is putting up a real fight for a refund of FP fees.  They are now saying featured plus means top of page and not top of category.  So you might be on page 87 but you'll be at the top of page 87 for your $40.  They've introduced a new feature called Featured First.  I've been on eBay chat for 2 hrs and they don't see a problem with hundreds of fp listings in a category but only 5-15 showing per page and being mixed in with sellers that didn't pay for fp.  I'm not sure what is so hard to understand.  Featured plus means top of category, not top of page and mixed in with 15 cent listings.

by: another ps

Wed Oct 15 15:07:34 2008

Oh, my, sounds like ebay is run by Kindergardeners (no offence to the little ones) and DonnaHo is the big payground bully.
He surely is trying to run ebay into the ground....

by: Ken

Wed Oct 15 15:29:13 2008

Is it just me or did most of these glitches, especially the Featured / Search result glitches start happening AFTER the FP30 started. Also, I wonder if this search result glitch(es) is related or a continuation of the earlier search result glitches eBay had last month.

by: tiredofebaygames

Wed Oct 15 15:50:23 2008

Hi,

I forgot to tell Ina when I sent her the screenshots of my seller dashboard (seller's whipping board), that I had called PS support about the issue.

They didn't seem to have a clue but suggested that the site was simply going through some kind of update and it should be resolved soon.

Well, it hasn't been resolved "soon".

It is still messed up.

:-(

by: Patricia

Wed Oct 15 15:54:19 2008

Ina - the feature plus problem was just discussed on Ebay's art & artist's board.  It seems regular FP's (14.95) now get put on the tops of pages, only a few at a time, as they were in the old days.  You have to spend a minimum of 24.95 to get the advanced FP that will work the usual way by front and real loading!  This is something Ebay never bothered to explain and I don't know about you, but I call it yet another increase in fees!

by: Mike

Wed Oct 15 16:14:33 2008

eBay must be out of their minds.  3 hours on live chat, 8 transfers and nobody sees the problem.  I give up.

Patricia you're correct but read the fine print about Featured First

R>No
guarantee.  If you get a neg or lowered search standing you're paying for nothing is how I read it.  No guarantee you'll ever appear at top according to eBay.

The million dollar question is who spends money without knowing what they're paying for?  I purchase advertising for all media groups.  Never do I approve advertising on a "maybe" placement.  I get a few maybe "freebie" bonuses but I always know what I'm paying for and make darn sure I get it.  If the publisher throws in a few bonuses on top of what I'm paying for then it's a perk.  I would never throw Radio, TV, Cable or even Google Adwords money for a "maybe" placement.  I might as well throw that money out the window.  Last time I checked my vendors never gave a damn what my DSR looked like, they only wanted to know my money was green.  eBay now thinks they can sell you a "chance" at a good placement for $25 but only if you keep that DSR up and don't get slapped with a neg for any number of reasons beyond your control.  They must be drinking their own kool-aid, I can't imagine telling a customer to spend money on a "chance" to receive something in return.  They should be holding raffles, not selling service.

by: Mike

Wed Oct 15 16:21:36 2008

Actually I should of pointed out that you can have perfect DSR, perfect feedback and eBay still doesn't guarantee you'll receive anything for your $24.99 Featured First fee.  Everything is carefully worded as a chance to receive; not a promise.  I'm sorry but I don't have that kind of money to throw around.  I have to know what I'm paying for and make sure I get it.

by: Patricia

Wed Oct 15 16:23:20 2008

@Mike - thanks for pointing that out.  We learned by discussing it with each other - nobody actually saw anything in print about it.  I'll bring that information back to them.  Thanks :-)

by: Patricia

Wed Oct 15 16:27:30 2008

@Mike again.  Heck, I'm a perfect example...10 year 100 percent feedback of over 3,000 - never a negative - DSR's of 5.0 across the board and they downgraded me from "raised" to "standard"...their reason being "you have not had 10 feedbacks within 30 days" (nevermind the 300 feedbacks I got just in the past 12 months!  Its absolutely crazy.  If I sell one thing for $5,000 in 30 days I will be lowered in the listings - whereas someone else can sell ten 99 cent items and have "raised" standing.  These people are absolutely insane! Pffffftt!

by: tiredofebaygames

Thu Oct 16 08:40:47 2008

The seller dashboard is now working this morning, at least for now.

by: PottiePat

Thu Oct 16 08:55:24 2008

The list of glitches seems endless. I too have had the worst sell through rate since after Labour Day in the over 10 years I have been selling. Since that time I listed 3 sets of premium china dishes (piece by piece) and not one dish sold. This has never, ever happened.

After reading various blogs and threads, I'm convinced that this is due more to search not functioning properly than all the other negative factors we are dealing with.

I have also had an issue with TL over this time period. I create my listings in TL and input all the postage info in metric measurements. When the items are launched, the info shows up in Imperial which doubles or triples the postage cost that shows up. Absolutely deadly for sales - no one will even open the listing because the shipping is ridiculous.

I had to chase listing refunds for 30 items for almost 2 weeks in the first instance, and I have to go in and edit every item I list with TL to make the change in measurements.  This despite the fact that after the last go round with c/s I was assured that the glitch was fixed. NOT! I listed 10 items last night and had to fix every single one of them this morning.  I would bet that there are a lot of other users who are being nailed by this same glitch and they haven't even noticed.

As far as ebay taking fees for services not delivered - like the featured fees, just par for the course. This is an entity that has no compunction about spreading misinformation, using doublespeak and outright lying.

I have no way of going back on all my closed auctions that had almost no watchers (highly unusual) and ended with no bids to see if I was inpacted my whatever search glitch for a minute number os users that ebay is actually admitting to.

Strangely what I resent most of all is the obvious fact that ebay must think we are all stupid sheep and if they just phrase their bs the right way, we will believe whatever hogwash they are selling us.

I'm just hoping that they do something stupid enough to buyers (instead of crushing sellers) that people will wake up and start searching the other sites out there - and I don't mean Amazon.

by: MsFish

Thu Oct 16 09:32:52 2008

Ebay has turned into one big glitch..here is CS reply to my question about needing only 3 Feedback (per announcement 6.20.08) in 30 days, instead of 10...

''''Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your Detailed Seller Rating.

I understand your concern in this matter. However, please be informed
that, sellers need to have at least 3 DSRs with a rating of 4.7, to
qualify for the Best Match feature.

However, eventhough you are qualified, with 3 DSRs, it will not appear
on your account because, in order for the Detailed Seller Ratings to
appear on your account, you need to have at least 10 DSRs.

If you don't have enough DSRs, it will show as 'Standard'.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reply to this
email and let us know.

Sincerely,
Jay R.

eBay Customer Support''''

Search doesnt work, sales are at an all time low, seriously, what is Donohoe thinking???

by: Kirk

Thu Oct 16 11:05:51 2008

I would like a refund.  I do the proper thing when I fail my customers how about practice what they tell sellers what to do.    My DSR and messed up along with my search placement.   Best match is non working DOA.

by: bizzy

Thu Oct 16 12:34:24 2008

Something is definitely broken. I had 70% sell-through on my auctions last week.  Lots of hits and watchers.  This week, sell-through was 0%. Granted, it was a holiday weekend for some, but still, that's a big drop. My auctions running this week have minimal traffic and next to no watchers, so whatever broke is still broken.  Why does eBay have to screw around with stuff during Q4? They should have had all this stuff tested and ready to go by August, when traffic is much lighter. But no, they've waited until the busy season, when many of us make the most money, to much around with the system. Not good.

eBay is hardly going to recover their falling GMV if sellers can't sell anything.  We're not paying to have our items sit there, after all. And I haven't seen much in the way of advertising lately, either. Where are all the eBay TV commercials? Sure I got a "catalog" in the mail, but TV has a lot more impact. eBay has been raising fees, but I'm not seeing any increase in the value of what I'm buying.