Thu Jan 24 2008 21:59:36

Meg Whitman, from eBay CEO to Governor?

The LA Times reports that outgoing eBay CEO Meg Whitman is considering a run for governor in her home state of California. She is a woman who has broken the glass ceiling in the business world and is known to be charming and well liked by colleagues. She's well connected and is currently in a leadership role in fund-raising for Mitt Romney's presidential campaign and has appeared in a GOP video to help re-elect George W. Bush.

My opinion is that Meg likely had a hard time finding a CEO spot that she would feel worthy of her talents. Too young and ambitious to retire, a run for governor would keep her busy and in the spotlight. And, we know the California governorship can be a launch pad to the White House - she may see herself as a capable CEO of the United States. How does Governor Whitman sound?

Meg Whitman, from eBay CEO to Governor?   Meg Whitman, from eBay CEO to Governor?

by: Political inept

Thu Jan 24 22:44:07 2008

She could. But her sons are screwups at school so I'm sure someone will cell cam the boys huffin or something politically INCORRECT. lmao. It'll be good to have her run for Governor, they'll be enough people digging up her past. Like the 9-11 charity auctions where she took credit for it and not once said anything that the sellers themselves were donating the costs

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Thu Jan 24 22:45:12 2008

I meant to mention that she wouldn't be the first eBay alum to run for governor - Steve Westley ran for governor on the Democratic ticket.

by: Cynic

Fri Jan 25 01:38:25 2008

Yeah. That's what California needs. A billionaire who will try to "improve the resident experience" and say "Well, sorry that you're going out of business on account of my half baked decisions, but it's so FUN to live in California! That should override EVERYTHING!"

by: Unaffilliated Middle Class!

Fri Jan 25 03:16:44 2008

I use my own mathematical formula (much like ebay's detailed seller ratings and neutral/negative feedback system, which we know are completely accurate and infallable) to determine who I vote for in political elections.

ANY type of criticism of the candidates, like, say, that of an ebay commodities seller, like ''I didn't like the pants I bought on ebay-they didn't go with my blouse'' will have a direct impact on my decision for who would be the best person to vote for in government. Their ranking in leadership viability will immediately go down, of course, with each criticism from the gallows.

Best Match, in all matters of life,  is really this simple, one size fits all! It's more efficient!

by: Lisa

Fri Jan 25 09:03:46 2008

God help us if the runs the state along the same lines as the ran eBay.

by: Pat M

Fri Jan 25 10:21:20 2008

Yeah, I think Meg is just the person to make California more "vibrant" and "fun" again.

by: Former GOP Guy

Fri Jan 25 12:52:22 2008

Hey, I used to be a Republican until this lame war got started and will tell you this - I'd never vote for her regardless of my feelings of how she's run Ebay into the ground.

First, she pimped for Dubya - ENOUGH SAID.

Second, if we have to have a GOP Governor here, I can handle Schwarzenegger since he isn't a tool of the far right the way Meg appears to be.

And lastly, Mitt Romney?  She thinks HE would be a good president.

I'll pass Meg.  Stick to working behind the scenes.  Maybe one day you'll find an electable person to work with.

by: "kessinger for Governor 2003"

Sat Jan 26 14:34:37 2008

Whitman's Ebay Pay Pal cheeted me $$514.94 plus $409.94 paid to "laptop-blue"  9/24/07 on two new Apple i phone(s) not delivered to me. Also no resolution oferd me on my petition for a remaday.

by: JR

Mon Jan 28 09:54:36 2008

I am sooooooooooo thankful not to live in California!

Ina, I think it would be interesting to have a poll to see how many people would vote for Meg. Along, with how many people will not vote for Romney because of Meg.

If Meg becomes Govenor and runs California the same way as eBay favoring only a small percentage of the people. God Bless the people in the middle and lower classes. They may be suspended or removed from the state of California without notice.

On the bright side for those of us not in California after she cripples California maybe that will slim her chances for any other politcal aspirations for damaging this country.

AS THOUGH THIS COUNTRY DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH PROBLEMS!

It's a good thing for the rest of us that she is starting her politcal career on the state level.

GOOD LUCK CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS !!!!!

by: designer labels

Mon Jan 28 10:00:13 2008

I love Meg. I am sad to see her leave ebay. As a top seller on ebay i will admit things are not good and have not been good, especially since they took away our store search. I dont blame Meg. I really dont think she had the power that a lot of people think she had in making these major decisions that caused the company to ''fail''. I think ebay ran it's course and ''others'' over ride her decisions, namely Pierre. I think Meg has contemplated leaving for some time because she doesn't have the decision making role that she should have. I dont blame ebay's fall on her at all.

by: mindy

Mon Jan 28 10:22:15 2008

Meg Whitman as governor of California - that's so funny I can't stop laughing.  As a native Californian, I can tell you there's no way on this earth she will EVER win that spot.  We moved out of the state 5 years ago because it just isn't the California we grew up in.  As for her not finding a CEO position to her liking, more like no Fortune 500 company has found HER to their liking.  Good riddance to Meg Whitman - maybe the new guy will be better.  I doubt it, but I can always hope!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Jan 28 10:23:54 2008

If Meg Whitman runs for governor, from the day she announces I will devote at least one hour everyday providing her opponents and the media with a decade long list I've compiled of the sleazy and likely worse business practices (with documentation) that as ebay CEO she condoned.

So as ebay CEO Meg didn't have the ''power that a lot of people think she had in making these major decisions that caused the company to ''fail''?''

ROTFLMAO! Of course she didn't. No CEO has very much if any control over the corporate empires they reign over; their minions just run wild making decisions willy nilly and, oh well, some work and some don't.

Meg Whitman is just another clueless, incompetent, grossly over paid right wing tool who wants to do to California what Dubya has done to our country.

by: KC

Mon Jan 28 11:10:17 2008

It will be a sad day in history for this country if Meg gets into politics.

For years Meg has fed these financial anals with hype. To bad they and any other reporters never reported her low underhanded dispicable ways and means of obtaining those $$$$'s to get to where she is!

Maybe, its about time stories are done on the real Meg. The cold calculating ''_itch'' with no regard or compassion for anything other then money. Definitely not for anything that has a heartbeat.

by: Joyful Alternative

Mon Jan 28 11:15:20 2008

We've already had a Governor Whitman--Gov. Christine Todd Whitman of New Jersey, who became Bush's first EPA administrator and now has all but resigned from the Republican party.

I guess Meg Whitman must see that the odds of her becoming Commerce Secretary Whitman are decreasing by the day.

by: Henrietta

Mon Jan 28 11:22:02 2008

Does this mean I can look forward to more political spam from eBay landing in my mailbox?

I wouldn't vote for anyone Whitman endorsed because her views are so alien. I was brought up with the concepts presumed innocent until found guilty, trial by peers, & my right to confront accuser. The Whitman way is; I will do it my way because I can, might is right, constitution is only a piece of paper, if you don't like it take me to court (which 99% don't because they live in the real world and just had their means of earning a living suspended)

by: Beth M.

Mon Jan 28 18:24:48 2008

I can't say that I am surprised. Once you've managed to get all the money you could ever need in a lifetime, what's next?  Pretty much, that only leaves power.

California already has a host of problems built in - I can't see someone like her helping the state of anything but her own interests.

I don't live in CA, so couldn't vote, but rest assured, I surely would NOT vote for her. Her blatant disregard for the sellers on the company that paved her golden road already shows what she thinks of those "beneath" her - they are only stones to be stepped on to get what she wants.

Can you imagine the health care and other assistance to the needy in CA if she was in office?  It would probably become next to impossible to get (probably would come with a price tag, or a minimum income to get poverty assistance!), or otherwise filtered so hardly anyone would qualify.

If her pattern of destruction (read corporate climbing in her world) follows, then everything in CA would become unaffordable and unattainable for most people.

While she might have made great strides as a "business woman" and be charming in person, the trickle down from her decisions have been anything BUT charming.

Sorry, but I have no respect for anyone, male or female, who makes themselves powerful or rich at the expense of others. When I think of the disabled and otherwise homebound small sellers that her decisions put out of business (and often,back into poverty), it sickens me.

Governor of CA?  Only if everyone in the state falls asleep at the voting booth at the same time....

by: Beth M.

Mon Jan 28 18:30:16 2008

I think that speaks volumes!
You are right on target Mindy.

Once you have fleeced the little guys, that only leaves the big guys.  Most of the big guys already know the methods and won't be fleeced anymore (and are doing it themselves now), and aren't interested in her tactics.  Can't think of too many companies who would want her brand of leadership along with the general poor public image she has.

But, I don't think she'll be sweating it, given that outrageous B-O-D fee (and potential bonus).

by: Bob D

Mon Jan 28 19:34:36 2008

I was voting for Romney, but his judgement is now questionable if he is even considering Whitman for anything in government.  She is vicious, greedy, and arrogant.  Yon Whitman has a lean and hungry look... such women as that are dangerous.

by: Wendy

Mon Jan 28 21:20:37 2008

Nah, she just wants lobbyists and other political back-room types to start thinking of her as a potential influence peddler.  Commerce Secretary? Labor Secretary? Presidential Advisor? Pig in a Poke?  She's as good a candidate for token rich woman appointee as any, or so she hopes the thinking will go.  Let the political maneuvering begin!  Gag me.