Tue Sept 4 2007 16:33:02

Yahoo Sponsored Links on eBay

eBay is running Yahoo graphical ads on eBay.com, and is running Yahoo Sponsored Links at the bottom of search results pages. eBay's Bill Cobb said those ads would appear only if there were no matching eBay listings or that offer complementary offerings. But lately, the ads have been appearing with more frequency and directly compete with eBay sellers' own listings.

AuctionBytes is publishing an article about this in the September 5th Newsflash newsletter, and we'd like to hear what buyers and sellers think.

by: Tim

Tue Sep 4 18:39:55 2007

As usual, if his lips are moving, he is lying.  Here is a search for you to try: Central of Georgia Railway.  At the top of the search (in core) is a book on the subject and then some photos.  In the stores section are some other items, including the book again.  AND THEN, in the Sponsored results are four results for the book - ALL WITH LOWER PRICES than eBay sellers are selling them for.  This is direct competition where eBay is taking customers DIRECTLY to the SAME product.

I had other examples, but this was the easiest, cleanest example.

Is eBay a sales site or an ad site?  Do they want eBay sellers to sell stuff or for other stores to get the sale... or do they care since either way they get their money?

Note the sponsored links are not only for the exact same item that comes up in an eBay search - but in no way is the search itself a "no results" search.

Bill Cobb lied.  Pure and simple.

by: Dimes

Tue Sep 4 21:27:44 2007

It's not just yahoo.

I tried with a search for Forrest Gump, and got a sponsored link for Netflix

(Get it fast with a free trial. Rent Forrest Gump.  Netflix.com)

eBay wants me to rent the movie from Netflix instead of buying a DVD from one of the sellers who paid to advertise on its site?

Why is that, exactly?

by: Peeved!

Tue Sep 4 22:40:22 2007

Pay per click ads have been showing up on items that I am selling when there are many listings in both auction and store listings. They are for the same exact item.

It seems that the ads are intermittant. Maybe eBay thinks that sellers won't notice if they rotate them around.

Taking away customers from eBay for the same exact item seems like a conflict of interest.

When will eBay notice that without sellers, there is no eBay!

by: Dino D.

Wed Sep 5 09:06:13 2007

I hate to defend ebay here, but if there's an identical product for a lower price, that benefits the buyer.  I hate to see sellers advocating less transparency.  Instead, sellers should embrace transparency. If you can beat amazon, you'll get the sale, if not, find something else to sell.

by: HavilandOnline

Wed Sep 5 10:24:09 2007

I used to pay Yahoo -Pay per click- once I figured out I was paying per click against all the Ebay items (2800 per week) and my small budget would get depleted in 1 hour, I discontinued Yahoo pay per click.

by: V

Wed Sep 5 11:48:38 2007

Oh, Boy, here we go again... another brilliant idea from the corporate office. What are they thinking?! Oh, wait, they aren't! I noticed it some weeks back. It's sad but one can't be emotional about it. It will probably be just a matter of time before someones sues them for this one - I would consider that a breach of contract. And as for competing with Amazon, you have to have as big a pocketbook as they do. Not an easy task.

by: Jan

Wed Sep 5 11:49:48 2007

This does seem to defeat eBay's main purpose and that is to sell.  Why would you send your customer's to another site?    After their client's have paid to advertise on the site they should have some protection against these links!  Just one other reason why sellers are leaving eBay behind!

by: jsicolts

Wed Sep 5 11:57:49 2007

Why is this a surprise to anyone? eBay's mision statement - people as basically good- is a direct opposite on how they treat Sellers in particular. We hate ebay, and do a lot better on other sites like Alibris, Biblio, Yahoo. etc.,

by: David Fischer

Wed Sep 5 11:59:13 2007

Since I list almost all my books on Amazon, I welcome the Ebay advertising of my Amazon items (which I can list for free on Amazon)...

However, Ebay, I beleive, is violating it's own rules. As an Ebay seller, I can not link to my website in an auction so that the buyer can get it for less.

I also beleive that Ebay is shooting itself in the foot as both buyers and sellers will now be able to easily find other venues where they can buy sell products.

by: Garrett

Wed Sep 5 12:15:24 2007

Oh the monopoly!  It is hideous and a deceitfull act on behalf of eBay.  What are Sellers supposed to do? Every time corporate eBay drops an egg, like this one, Sellers have to scramble (no pun intended) around in attempts to fiqure out a way to fix it so we can get a sale.  It is a ''conflict of interest'' and it needs to be addressed legally! Ebay can shoot themselves in the foot, over and over again and the proprietary and small Sellers know our selling options are limited.  eBay knows that and they just do not concern themselves with thier causes that affect us. eBay ingores them. Just sick, sick, sick about it.  Small businesses will continue to fail and big corporate america gets another bite out of us. Great!

by: Patti

Wed Sep 5 12:19:05 2007

So I suppose the next time I walk into Macy's they'll have a big sign next to the clothing that says "HEY, you can get this for less at Marshall's!!"  Doubt it!  This is the most cynical, money grabbing, to hell with the sellers policy I've ever seen.

by: Brian

Wed Sep 5 12:57:54 2007

Not good eBay!

Maybe eBay sellers need to protest eBay’s actions by having a “Click Fraud Campaign” or something like that.  What would happen to the Sponsored Ad Program if 1000’s of eBay sellers started clicking 1000’s of ads each day for no reason? Would eBay and Yahoo sit down and find a mix that won’t hurt eBay sellers or would eBay track those seller’s IP addresses and suspend them from eBay?

by: multi-titanium

Wed Sep 5 13:17:02 2007

We are large Adwords and YahooSM advertisers. We noticed that we had been getting eBay hits lately and didn't look into why. Now we realized that it's the YahooSM ads appearing on eBay! All of our prices on our website are cheaper than eBay (no eBay fees, hello?), so we welcome this move. Anyone who is still stuck on eBay either needs to accept that they are trash to eBay, or pick yourself up, grow some courage, and move off of eBay. Another poster said ''Without sellers, there would be no eBay''...this is not what eBay believes. eBay believes that their sellers cannot live without eBay and they are putting their money on it with these moves because they know sellers will just live with it.

by: frank

Wed Sep 5 13:50:17 2007

This has really opened a whole different can of worms for me. besides that the same products I sell are now in the google/yahoo listings at the bottom of every page. (I've tested it myself)

Remember back in the good ole days (like 2 years ago)  ebay used to sell it's sellers cheap advertising banners at the top of every page.  It was like 10 cents a click and they had 3 different size banners that got rotated at the top of the page. Then one day it all of a sudden went away.   I called ebay to find out what happened. They said the contract ran out with the ad agency and that they were going to start selling sellers the advertising themselves. I then started seeing ''Vacations To Go'' and United Parcel Service ads at the top of every page.  I called ebay again and they said they this was just temporary,and that they would be rolling out a new seller advertising program at ebay live. The bottom line is sellers don't have the deep pockets of United parcel or vacations To Go, so the ads will stay at the top of every page.  Yes there will be NO advertising plan for sellers. Just more lies ad it to the heap!

by: Raymond

Wed Sep 5 14:14:32 2007

I saw the ads recently when I searched for one of my items to see if it was showing up in search correctly.  It is a conflict if some smart person can actually show whereby eBay is getting a commission for the sales made off-site.  They must be getting those commissions on the sales or they would not even show the ads that would compete with them getting the final value fees from the sale of an ebay seller listed item.  It is just another way to keep the poor ebay seller selling things for the cheapest price on the web.

by: Mr. Bob.

Wed Sep 5 14:24:01 2007

I'm assuming that the bean counters at eBay have determined that running those ads earns more income than the Final Value Fees for the items listed that the shopper MIGHT have bought on eBay.  Because as ignorant as some of their decisions seem, they have always protected their bottom line... and if they are sending shoppers off-site, it must mean they get a bigger payday doing that than they do from their own sellers via Final Value Fees.  Why else run ads that will lower sellthru and thereby lower Final Value Fees?

by: Patricia

Wed Sep 5 14:26:23 2007

Nothing different here...ebay has become known for its backpeddling and outright lying!  Their word on anything has been worthless for quite awhile.  Its been evident all along that they're going to keep gorging themselves on every dollar they can grab from any area until they downright burst!  No thought is given to the sellers - we never have been thought of as anything more then a mindless herd of cattle to be milked.  I've given up even trying to talk about it.  Instead, I'm hoping someone comes along who will buy out the auction portion of ebay.  It would have to be a miracle but such things can happen!

by: Osama

Wed Sep 5 15:12:34 2007

This is ain't strange on eBay I am expecting that the next glitch on eBay is to put a pop up window on the auction ad and you have to pay more to remove this pop up window.. This is rediclus.. Why they never learn that the traffic is less on eBay for reasons and ideas like this... the site truned from 13 to # 29 within a year.. they never ask themselves why... why many sellers closing

by: JoeS

Wed Sep 5 15:35:17 2007

It's moves like this that backup what many have been saying that Ebay no longer cares for who made them in the first place. Very sad indeed and time to move on.

by: BIDONMINE

Wed Sep 5 15:40:03 2007

My solution, which I began phasing in two years ago, was to move 95% of my book listings to Amazon.
Then, I began to eliminate 'common' items from my listings.
I now try to list only unique, collectable, out of production and vintage items on Ebay. This reduces my exposure to only competitors on Ebay instead of the entire WWW.
It has worked as my sell-through has increased from less then 30% to over 80% on Ebay.

1 2 3  [Next Page]