Tue June 26 2007 09:45:50

What Do Sellers Think of eBay's New Search Technology?

eBay is introducing new search technology on its site and is asking users for feedback. The new "Finding" experience has been introduced through what eBay calls, The Playground, allowing users to experience the full site using the new search technology. eBay said the technology is similar to eBay Express, its interface that shows only fixed-price items. (See "eBay Finding ItsNew Search Technology.")

Let us know what you think:

Can you find what you are looking for?

Sellers - are your items showing up?

What are the positives, and what are the negatives?

What Do Sellers Think of eBay's New Search Technology?   What Do Sellers Think of eBay's New Search Technology?

by: Ray

Tue Jun 26 12:10:36 2007

I just found the new search to be more confusing and less results as to what I was really looking for. The featured ads were repeated twice on the page. Only 6 results came up on a search for "cigarette case" when in the other search there were 100's of items, 9 pages I believe.

by: Henrietta

Wed Jun 27 15:02:20 2007

I'm just shocked, amazed, ummm- all of a flutter & dismayed!

The concept of eBay designing a new 'improved' anything is an oxymoron to start. When you add the concept of 'intelligent search' to this historically shaky foundation, which is described by eBay as (and I quote) ''a new, intelligent search capability, similar to eBay Express, which interprets what the buyer is really looking for'', that is an 'oh-oh moment' on an epic scale.

by: ccharned

Thu Jun 28 19:35:58 2007

_what_ search technology?  sometimes, i think eBay couldn't search its way out of a paper bag.  search is more imprecise than ever.

personally, i find this story about search much more exciting...

by: Kim

Fri Jun 29 08:28:37 2007

Nice post! You have said it very well. Keep going.

by: Fruity

Sun Jul 1 04:56:46 2007

Well you can't find a sellers store that's for sure.

1) The view sellers listings separates core & store items from an individual seller.

2) The general search integrates more tightly int'l merchandise, so you really dont know who you are buying from til you are in their listings

3) The default search results are on ''best match'' (says so in the title)

4) Your buying options are either auction or BIN. No way to search stores inventory. The BIN displays gallery for core and then anything that is store they take away the gallery. The results also do not show store sellers name and they seem to like letting buyers 'watch' an item alot. I dont know. In general the way they treat stores sucks. But the pages load fast just like ebay express.

There's some neat things to the playground, but anyone who thought Ebay was hearing store seller concerns might want to checkout the playground and see if Bill Cobb just forgot to talk about what's coming up in the very near future

by: Janet

Sun Jul 1 12:20:33 2007

Playground search stinks. I have 4 pairs of DKNY jeans listed in my store, and there is no store link that I could find to possibly view them or any other item in ANY store. I have one item on FP that I searched for with a few key words and it did come up, but again, absolutely no way to find my store other than thru my listing and my store is my profit center and the reason I run core.
What ebay seems to not realize is that so many of us store folks are buyers too- but if we don't sell, our paypal accounts are empty and we don't buy either. Store sellers have made a commitment of time and resources in the store venture- Ebay should have some respect for that and let us be found.

by: Susan

Sun Jul 1 13:47:34 2007

I don't like the new search for a variety of reasons, the most important of which is this:  If eBay was Walmart and I went there to buy a gallon of milk, eBay would have the milk located right next to the front door, where I would pick up my gallon and then the greeter would take me by the arm and guide me to the checkout.

Walmart and every grocery store in the country puts the milk in the back of the store, easy to find but allowing me the opportunity to notice, pick up, and purchase bread, peanut butter, a rotisserie chicken, a box of Twinkies, and a new pair of jeans to wear the next day.  Even the 7-11 puts the milk in the back of the store so it only takes a minute or two to get my milk along with a bag of chips and a candy bar that I didn't want or need in the first place.

There's something to be said for impulse buying.  The new search on eBay does not allow for that and, in fact, it makes me decide in advance what brand of milk I want, what size, and in what kind of container when I don't even know what my options are in the first place.

That's the way I see it.

Susan

by: Coyote

Mon Jul 2 00:15:35 2007

I have not yet experienced the new ''finding'' system. I am already getting queazy in the stomache that it is no longer called ''search''?

Could it be that a fundamental change of the word ''search'' to the term ''finding'' will now allow ebay to show the listings that ''ebay'' prefers?

It sounds like it to me to avoid any future lawsuits, when they're secret can no longer be hidden!

Personally I don't like being shown a different number of listings each time I click a button? I feel like I've gotta dig for a week to find the ''real'' deals on ebay! I don't shop often on ebay, but when I do, I want to look at every listing for my desired product. I don't need a filter to point me at the highest priced item first.

When I shop on ebay now, I gotta dig, and dig, and dig to uncover the better deals. If I was a new greenhorn buyer, I'd never know that I was being herded like cattle, and not realize the better deals were being skipped over by the new ''finding'' system!

A quick comment about the new 2.0 feedback system is that the buyers leave ''much less'' feedbacks than they use to leave. Which means the balance of a handful of unhappy buyers now carry a bigger stick to hit you with.

Hey Ebay, when you ''search'' for my items, will you now be ''finding'' my stuff or not?? Any lawyers out there??

by: ellis van sofa

Mon Jul 2 00:46:59 2007

SIMPLY AWFUL.  could they have possibly designed a more confusing list?  how about a separate column for bids at least?  come on!

by: Chairman

Mon Jul 2 13:07:03 2007

I have great concerns in such a radical change of search and the effects of geography will have on simple searches for Slavic Books.

by: Chris

Fri Jul 6 05:14:41 2007

I just tried to search for my items & Playground wouldn't even bring up the catagory let alone the items!! Totally useless!!

by: Chris

Fri Jul 6 05:17:16 2007

We also use very simple keywords in our titles & if Playground can't find them in the catagory or in fact bring up the catagory we list in what earthly good is it?

by: sandra

Mon Jul 9 22:46:08 2007

well, after 18 days of ebay collecting fees I am finially back on~~for how long-who knows---i changed my stuff i WWW.Ioffer.com--you can just sign up and download your stuff right in!!I wish they were a Great site~~free and fast!!!I needed a back up site to have my listings so I can get back on Ebay right away!!Changing my info as fast as I can type-have to get Gray to save myself-Cover every thought pattern(even crazy) to keep on Ebay- tomorrow devoting self to revising into the gray areas and THE EBAY BLOG---we have been charged money and had NO power to try and excape the looneys shopping!! I am on again again ,BUT FEARFUL(the next one may be it)-- good luck-i will be on the ebay blog tomorrow am and through--THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED FOR THE SELLERS!!! UNITE!!!!Sandy

by: The Brown Guy

Tue Jul 10 04:38:08 2007

I noticed that the catalog they use is not clean.

I did a search for Nintendo Wii and had 2 different 'MPN' items come up.  From there I had to pick which one I thought would be good and then I had to click on the listing tab.

Too many clicks.

Rule 101 of web design, less clicks is the way to go.

I think the changes to the listing pages look good and 'items i've viewed recently' works (altho stolen from amazon lol).

I really hope they plan on doing alot more work in this area because it is no where near ready for prime time.

by: Chandra

Tue Jul 10 12:19:19 2007

It's horrible.  eBay calls this an improvement? HA!

by: Katie

Wed Jul 18 17:24:33 2007

I hate it!

by: Matt

Sat Sep 13 11:09:27 2008

It stinks to high heaven.  The absolute first thing I do any time I'm going to do any eBay searching is opt out of the stupid ''experience.''  The fact that they call it an ''experience'' is indicative enough that they're deeply sunk in marketing-studies, behavior-manipulating Madison Avenue B.S., and wildly out-of-touch.  The idea that buyers were previously so displeased with the process that eBay can grow its business by contorting itself and turning a double somersault to fix things that weren't broken is frankly asinine.

The truth is, eBay has reached the point where changing anything will only make things worse.  It has noplace to go but down, and that's where it's headed, because both as a buyer and as a seller, I'm searching for alternatives to eBay.

by: bizzy

Sat Sep 13 14:08:18 2008

Ebay stores are going away.  They've already dumped them in Europe.  The writing is on the wall, so I'm not surprised to see them not showing up in the new "finding."

Ebay needs to buy some search technology from Google. Then they might give people a chance to actually find what they're looking for.

I'm all for holding sellers to standards, but they need to do it on the front end, not in search. There are too many convoluted rules for this, which is just bogging down search and making it harder for buyers to find things.  Set a *reasonable* minimum standard for sellers, and don't show them in search at all if they fall below that standard.  That's good enough incentive to keep the crummy sellers out.  Stop leading the buyers around by the nose.  Most of them aren't that stupid, although there will always be a few who are.