Wed Apr 11 2007 12:45:59

Researching eBay Glitches

Here's an example of a problem eBay users reported having this week, started April 9, possibly fixed as of today. Here is a problem that started on April 9 (or earlier)

Glitches are one of the most difficult problems to track down. A problem may be due to a particular user's software configuration, of course (thus the mantra of clear your cookies and cache,...). But "real" glitches may also affect only a subset of users under certain circumstances.

Unless a company posts an acknowledgment and description of a problem, it's difficult to know how widespread it is. When I hear of a problem on eBay, I first go to the eBay Systems Announcement board to see if eBay has reported it. Then I go to the eBay Technical Issues board to see if people are reporting glitches there. I also look on other online-auction discussion boards. I then ask eBay.

In an ideal world, users could call a number and verify glitches and get assistance to work through them. But my observations tell me that's not a realistic expectation for most users. That's why I think public acknowledgement of problems is critical. (Particularly if it is the kind of problem that buyers may think sellers are lying about - at least the seller could link to something to prove it's a real issue.)

It's not easy to figure out how serious a problem really is and whether it's worth researching. Feedback from those on the frontlines is always welcome.

by: Frank Ross

Wed Apr 11 13:17:38 2007

Interesting, I wonder if they're talking about the same problem I noted on my blog on 4/10.  eBay forced everyone to go to their new SYI screen and it has issues.  I tried the clear the cache and cookies trick; didn't do it for that problem.  Still waiting to hear from eBay on that.

Researching eBay Glitches   Researching eBay Glitches

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Thu Apr 12 01:56:34 2007

eBay has been having glitches for at least 3 or 4 years now. Sometimes they are minor and other times they are major. There never is an explanation as to why or how. The basis of all of this is the simple fact that they have been patching a program that was brought on in 2001 and it is so discombobulated with all of the add ons and patches to fix problems with add ons that you end up with an absolute mess. It always happens every time they add a new "gimic" to the platform. They know that it might cause a problem with something else but the people that put together that something else have gone on to bigger and better things so know one is really sure how this will affect how the new "gimic" will respond or what will happen to other parts of the massive program they have. It would cost a lot of money to redo the program that they have to even get up to speed with web 2.0 which is now getting old. They will not spend the money since it will take a big cut in their bottom line but by not spending that money they are turning off many people who made up the core of eBay. These glitches have been going on for years and they will be getting worse as time goes on. It is truly a sad state of affairs.

Bill

by: Barbara

Thu Apr 12 06:36:13 2007

Which PARTICULAR glitch are you referring to? There are several ongoing glitches. Those in the ''new'' cumbersome behemoth SYI Frank Ross mentioned  that's being forced upon sellers? That software has NEVER worked properly (btw, someone from ebay actually left a message on my recorder telling me to convert). Or the glitch where a new listing just ''disappears'' for a while? Or the glitch where a new listing never shows up at all? Or the glitch where buyers are subject to 3rd party cookies (spyware) on some listings? eBay is certainly not shy about the upward spiral in its fees -- without concomitant improvements in its service.

by: Barbara

Thu Apr 12 06:38:25 2007

Which PARTICULAR glitch are you referring to? There are several ongoing glitches. Those in the ''new'' cumbersome behemoth SYI Frank Ross mentioned that's being forced upon sellers? That software has NEVER worked properly (btw, someone from ebay actually left a message on my recorder telling me to convert). Or the glitch where a new listing just ''disappears'' for a while? Or the glitch where a new listing never shows up at all? Or the glitch where buyers are subject to 3rd party cookies (spyware) on some listings? eBay is certainly not shy about the upward spiral in its fees -- without concomitant improvements in its service.

by: Tillie

Thu Apr 12 06:57:35 2007

As someone pointed out there are very serious glitches that affect sales directly ie the auctions MIA or coming and going, ''rolling blackouts'', selective geographic areas. Personally ALL my CA, West, MT and TX have disappeared Completely for almost a month. These were my best customers. Sales are frightening. I now have ONLY Central and the closest Eastern states. Isn this  interfering with interstate commerce via selective computer placement?   Choosing who shall live and who should die?

by: firemeg

Thu Apr 12 08:33:26 2007

If you're seeing a glitch that nobody else is....you might be a part of eBay's Tuskegee experiment.

If your glitch goes away when using your posting ID or selling ID, etc.....you might be a part of eBay's Tuskegee experiments.

If CS has NO idea how to help you with your glitch...you just might be part of eBay's Tuskegee experiment.

If your sales are down and so are your hits...you might be part of eBay's Tuskegee experiment.

If you're talking with a friend who has a brand new feature that you don't see no matter what you try...your FRIEND might be a victim of eBay's Tuskegee experiments.

eBay's admission of using forced beta testing without the knowledge of the userbase is criminal - or at least highly unethical!  How many glitches over the past several years were the results of "enhancements" and were only occurring to a small percentage of the userbase?

Ever wonder why only 1% or 10% have a glitch.  Because eBay uses buyers and sellers as unpaid guinea pigs to test their crap code.  Instead of paying testers or offering beta programs, ebay simply rolls out new code to certain segments of the community.

Who cares if it makes things not function properly or if you lose sales and revenue....It's all being done for the greater good.

by: Carol

Thu Apr 12 09:28:26 2007

I Have been observing many "glitches" by not only EBay, but PayPal as well.  It seems to me, for some reason, that it happens every time EBay is about to make a major purchase of additional assets.  I have been caught up in their "glitches" on more than one occasion.  Coincidence?

by: Dee

Thu Apr 12 09:46:56 2007

A few weeks ago, I had 30 auctions ending at the same time.  For about 30 minutes before the auctions' close, I was unable to get into My Ebay. People were reporting this to Ebay left and right.  I had dozens watching items that, in the end, didn't sell--probably because they would have accessed the item via My Ebay.   When I wrote CS, they had no idea about the problem. I had no recourse.

by: Elizabeth

Thu Apr 12 13:54:10 2007

If they admitted the glitches, according to their TERMS OF SERVICE,they 'd be liable for credits to all the thousands/hundreds of thousands ??? of sellers for the auctions affected.  So, if it's not posted on the systems announcements board, they aren't liable and they don't give credits.

by: fran

Thu Apr 12 16:20:30 2007

well my lastest problem is combined s/h. if a buyer (ebay and express) purchase more than one item, and they paid right away, they are only being charged for one item (and usually the lowest item) and if i go to create invoice, chick on combine items, it still only shows s/h for the first item. (please note i do offer combined s/h but not thru the ebay system)  anyone else having this problem

by: barbcity

Fri Apr 13 16:13:57 2007

I am having the same problem right now with items that have bids on them... several of my items that have bids on them are not showing up as ''sold'' on My eBay... they have not turned green and they show no bids but when I go into the auctions themselves they have bids. This started about five days ago. A newer auction with a bid shows up OK but these two older auctions do not.... I wish eBay would indeed put these problems on their system problem board so I would know THEY know about it and are working on them!!!

by: Danna

Sat Apr 14 13:47:38 2007

Hello! Thanks to another eBay'er I was sent to this site! I've been stuck in a MAJOR ebay glitch for the last 30 days now. It has effected my sales as well as my Client trust. The eBay system will not allow digital delivery of eBooks. I was told ''They'' are working on it. This has caused me some new expenses with having to look for other ways to deliver my ebooks.  One thing I have learned about this ''Researching eBay Glitches'' process is to only hear WE ARE WORKING ON IT!  Meanwhile, since eBay is my livelihood, I sit and WAIT for this problem ''Glitch'' to be solved. 30 days is a long GLITCH time don't you think?  Anyhow, thanks for letting me vent!!!  Just a frustrated, PowerSellingMom from Florida!

by: Stan

Thu Apr 19 13:05:38 2007

In reference to aintrichyet's finding I see I have a  similar problem of not being able to see all bidders. I only found this out when a buyer/seller emailed me through ebay on that particular auction that I have a bidder who does not meet my requirements. I look on My ebay/selling for that item and see there is no bidder! I thought he was crazy, I didn't look at that time at actual auction to see if there was a bidder. He emailed me again then I went to actual auction page and lo and behold there was a bidder and cancelled his bid. I thought it was an isolated problem with just that auction but by far it is not. Unfortunately I have the most active auctions I've run since being on e-bay and it's a nightmare. Last 2 days I spent over 3 hours in chat between ebay customer service, supervisor & billing. After an hour and a half with customer service and a supervisor in customer service they reccommended me to cancel auctions then relist them,I wouldn't relist items till I knew this problem is taken care of & will not list new items till I somehow know problem it is over with). I asked will ebay refund my original listing fee they said they will connect me to billing. Chatted with billing for over an hour as well and was taken in circles where I got dizzy and ended chat in being they will not guarantee anything and advised me against cancelling (of course they still make their money while I do all their work). This type of problem is very serious, I don't know how many sellers it affects though I will say almost all and, most probably have no idea. Ebay should have notified all sellers by email to make them aware so they can find a better way of tracking all active items. I found recently Andale seems to be able to track current bids on auctions I am running...jeez andale can track my activity on auctions on ebay but, ebay can't. A company this size where accurate information is essential especially for many who make their living on ebay a computer problem as this should have been fixed within the most a couple of hours. If they were a regulated company the company would have had serious fines for not notifying sellers and to have it go on for an unbelievable time.

by: dinah

Mon Apr 23 17:37:08 2007

Well I must be part of the Tusguee Experiment as my sales have dropped from silver powerseller down to just powerseller and getting ready to loose that status...I find it hard to believe that no one is buying educational toys, educational animals and many other things that has always sold....I can't seem to give things away and trying to use the new selling form...forget it....I loose more information then my time is worth anymore....so glad I am getting my own website as If I had to depend upon eBay to pay my bills as it once did, they sure aren't being paid now....glad to have found this forum..

by: dinah

Mon Apr 23 17:41:13 2007

I guess I must be part of that Tusguue experiment as my sales that use to pay the bills have now gone down the tubes....I waste more time trying to do a listing then it is worth my time.....I don't believe that parents have stopped buying educational toys, educational animals along with crafts, clothing dolls...bedding..

Gee thanks eBay for being one of the ''lucky'' testies'' again.

being disabled is not easy and the disabled are one of the most over looked group of people on eBay also...not everyone is computer friendly, and ebay seems to have lost its desire for the little people....

dinah