Tue Nov 6 2007 14:44:06

eBay Makes Yahoo Ads Look Like Listings

In searching eBay last night, I noticed the "Sponsored Links" ads at the bottom of search results looked like listings. They now include a photo and the price of the item, and more detailed titles and descriptions of the item! The formatting also blends more into the page instead of being differentiated as ad space. Here are two images of the eBay Sponsored Links served up by Yahoo on eBay.com. The first is how the ads appeared in September. The second is how they appeared yesterday.

Note 11/9/07: Slackersam wrote a comment that these new-format ads are served up by Shopping.com, a comparison-shopping service owned by eBay, not by Yahoo. This is unconfirmed, but makes sense.

New Ads:

eBay Makes Yahoo Ads Look Like Listings   eBay Makes Yahoo Ads Look Like Listings

by: J R

Wed Nov 7 06:57:55 2007

Today on eBay.co.uk the Yahoo Ad Listings were right in the middle between auction/buy it now items and shop items.  You actually had to scroll through the Yahoo ad items to get to eBay shop items at the bottom of the page.

Now imagine my surprize when I saw my Yahoo add (that takes you to my website) for a lower price then what I sell the same item for on eBay.

So, now the question is if I should increase my ad spending on Yahoo in order to get eBay customers to click on the link and then buy from my website using Google Checkout as the payment method?  Should I also decrease my number of listings on eBay to cover the increase in Yahoo budgeting?  I would much prefer to save the fees eBay and PayPal charge me and instead have a small increase in my Yahoo budget.  May just be the trick, thank you eBay management!

How to go out of business quickly - the A&P model revised by eBay.

by: J R

Wed Nov 7 07:54:49 2007

continued from my thread above as I am learning about this as the day goes on...

I have also noticed that if you include the price in your pay per click ad listing text, example I found on eBay.co.uk, "110 Days, SSL Encrypted, Uncensored Fastest UK Feeds Starting at £3.97" it appears that eBay is not able to tell that price from the price of the actual item.  I wonder what would happen if your ad text read "110 Days, SSL Encrypted, Uncensored Fastest UK Feeds priced less then on eBay, visit our site click here"

For the fees we pay, eBay should be a sticky site, but I am happy if I can make this work to drive people to my site instead...

by: Doh!

Wed Nov 7 09:19:40 2007

You know it's against eBay's rules (or was) to list an item on another site at a lower price than on eBay, right?

But then again, when I went to eBay to try to quote their policy here, I couldn't even *find* it.  I guess the rules have become so large and complex that they're broken up now into a zillion sections on their site.  Whatever.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Wed Nov 7 11:09:40 2007

What is up with all of this?
Has eBay forgotten that the purpose of their ''MarketPlace'' is to create a marketplace for the sellers that are paying its bills!!
They don't seem to under the sellers or their needs (or don't even care), and are now taking serious income from outside sources like Yahoo to supplement their income.

Don't they realize, that increasing outside revenue by sending people ''OFF-eBay'' is going to drive prices down on eBay and continue the downward spiral of the MarketPlace, and will lose even more sellers???

Does anyone at eBay even have a clue anymore??? It does not seem so.
It is so past due to have a major management change at eBay, it is stale, and the company is faultering.
Look at the Execs Stock Options and the many millions of dollars they are pocketing for running the company into the ground!!!   Look at Meg Whitman or Bill Cobb's portfolio, unbelievable.  Meg now has been given millions of shares of stock (I guess hoping no one will notice).  Her Golden Umbrella now, is turning to Platinum & Diamonds...

Such a shame, eBay used to be such a nice platform and fun place, now it is just a junk flea market, that is starting to be big joke.

Even good items are now becoming difficult to sell for a decent price...

by: Howmanyhorses

Wed Nov 7 12:54:49 2007

Doh!
The reason you can't find the rule to list an item on another site at a lower price than on eBay is that it does not exist, not like you described it anyway.

The rule is found under eBay's links policy.

For links in *listings* read here:

For
other links, ie About Me page, read here:
BR>It
is fairly well hidden, you will need to click on the ADDITIONAL INFORMATION link.

Quote:

You may link to your own Web store or Web site. However, you may not directly offer any non-eBay merchandise on the About Me page itself.

eBay does not permit its users to place the following types of links on your About Me pages:

Links that directly offer any non-eBay listing or merchandise on the About Me page itself.

Links to other online trading sites or pages, including auctions and fixed-price formats.

Links to sites offering the same merchandise for the same or lower price (including the Buy It Now price).

Links to sites offering merchandise or information not permitted on eBay

I am pretty sure that the wording has been changed recently, it now says *the same* or lower price and I believe it used to simply say lower price.

by: Leonard

Wed Nov 7 14:07:24 2007

I've never seen a major internet entity self-destruct before. Looks like that's what's happening at eBay, driven by the management's insatiable greed.
But is it self-destruction in fact? If I were an eBay seller this news would be the last straw for me. Seems like many other sellers would feel the same, given all the other ways they've been screwed by eBay recently, and stop selling on that hopelessly trashed site.
The management has to be calculating that the sellers can't walk because of eBay's dominance of the market. Will Amazon.com's affiliate seller program prove to be the overlooked factor that proves them wrong?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Wed Nov 7 15:17:50 2007

J R,
It's my understanding that Yahoo serves ads on eBay.com, but Google serves ads on all other eBay sites, including eBay UK.
Ina

by: J R

Wed Nov 7 16:01:01 2007

That is interesting.  My text is the same for Google and Yahoo pay per click.  I assumed it was Yahoo as my Google budget for the day was already exhausted.  I will change the text on one of them so in a day or two I will know and then let you know what I found.

by: J R

Thu Nov 8 18:03:45 2007

Today none of my ads showed up.  Will check again tomorrow.  It may be that changing my title has thrown them off or not hitting for the search string.

by: J R

Fri Nov 9 07:00:38 2007

My pay per click ad listings are still not showing up on ebay.co.uk, be it Yahoo or Google.  I wonder if from this blog they have managed to figure out who I am and ban my ads?

Meanwhile, other direct competitors are showing up with prices for their items on their web sites less expensive then the same item they are selling on the same page in eBay.

Seems that ENRON is written on the walls of the halls of eBay.

by: Slackersam

Fri Nov 9 09:40:48 2007

Yahoo doesn't have those kind of ads. I use yahoo & google neither of the ad services has THOSE kind of ads.

Those are links to shopping.com, Also an ebay company.

For those having trouble with ads displaying on ebay- they only show the top 3 positions so if you don't bid high enough on the keywords it won't show up....Also be sure you opted IN the search network.

by: J R

Fri Nov 9 10:22:12 2007

That is not correct as the other day on ebay.co.uk my pay per click ads were showing up and I only use Google and Yahoo.  I do not use shopping.com so you are incorrect.

Still nothing showing up for my ads after I made the text change.

by: firemeg

Fri Nov 9 10:48:05 2007

As a former seller who now has my own eCommerce sites, this is great.  I love having my Yahoo! and Google Adwords show up on eBay.com and other eBay sites around the world.  One of my stores has much more inventory than eBay does in the same category.

Now, if I were still selling on eBay, I would think I'd be pretty pissed off about the ads.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Fri Nov 9 23:14:01 2007

SlackerSam, you mean that these new format ads come from Shopping.com, not Yahoo? That makes sense since they have different content than the Yahoo ads, and I was told eBay was testing Shopping.com ads, I just hadn't seen them before. So that means for some items, you'll probably see the regular format Yahoo ads still appear.

(I will add an update to the original entry.)

by: J R

Mon Nov 12 10:31:11 2007

Has anyone figured out what causes which set of ads to show up.  I am wondering if it is IP or search based.  Should I be looking into doing business with shopping.com?

by: queenyd

Tue Nov 13 14:15:00 2007

It is discouraging.. I was shopping for labels on ebay and ended up finding 'free labels' off ebay site...   I ended up not buying labels.

by: J R

Tue Nov 13 18:22:45 2007

My ads started showing up again on eBay.co.uk and they were Amazon ads.  I have been able to attribute a 25% increase in website sales (off eBay) while these ads appear on eBay.

However, there are now no ads showing up when I search for my items on eBay.co.uk.

by: J R

Wed Nov 14 06:14:29 2007

Today ads are back on ebay.co.uk and the text is from my Google pay per click ads.  Yesterday in the morning they were from Amazon and then in the afternoon their were no ads.  Looks like hit or miss.  I wonder if eBay actually has any idea what it is doing?  I am actually very happy about the ads, more people to my website, less fees to eBay and PayPal.

by: J R

Wed Nov 14 06:16:56 2007

Thinking about this some more, how in the world would a link on eBay yesterday take you to my Amazon items?  I have found that a few third party sneaky places have ads going to Amazon (I guess they get a commission from Amazon) and that those ads are now showing up in search engines that also have Google Ads in them.  I am wondering if eBay is winding up with a list of links that are not direct from the Google source?  I think it is great!