Tue Jan 9 2007 15:50:00

IP Holders Can Report Violations through eBay API

eBay allows Intellectual Property rights holders to report violating listings using its API (Applications Programming Interface). eBay told developers it had added three new API calls to allow Verified Rights Owners (VeRO) Program members to report and track items that infringe their copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property rights. You must be a member of the Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program to use these calls:

When you have identified listings that infringe your intellectual property rights, use VeROReportItems to report them. With VeROReportItems, you can report a single item or many items at a time. When a reported item has been successfully processed, eBay sends a Notice of Claimed Infringement (NOCI) email to the seller of the alleged infringing item and ends the listing. For each item you report, you must specify a valid reason code. The GetVeROReasonCodeDetails call retrieves a list of the valid reason codes and their descriptions for one or all eBay sites.

Interesting, since a few IP rights holders like Tiffany have sued eBay, claiming it does not do enough to prevent the listing of counterfeit items on its site. (Note that eBay rolled out an anti-counterfeiting initiative in late December 2006.)

Also of interest, but on a completely different topic, eBay is releasing an eBay Express Shopping Cart API in early 2007 that will allow full eBay Express integration with buyer tools.

IP Holders Can Report Violations through eBay API   IP Holders Can Report Violations through eBay API

by: anastasia**beaverhausen

Mon Jan 15 22:17:12 2007

I have definite suspicions about their new policies.  I had a large cardboard "presentation box" from Tiffany & Co that I listed on ebay - many people like to collect them and use them for decorative storage.  It was removed because I was "Encouraging Infringement" by selling this authentic gift box.  Seems a bit severe to me.  I understand that ebay is participating in some "CYA" but this seems to be going to far and the sellers are the ones who are losing.

by: Arnie C

Tue Jan 16 06:06:39 2007

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

by: Lise SF

Tue Jan 23 03:46:10 2007

I am no longer an eBay seller for these very protective and unfair rules on eBay.  I used to sell music (CDs) and many of the items were promo CDs which are freely sold all over in shops and online, yet eBay decides to clamp down on sellers through their site without advising which actual members (mostly Warner Bros and their affiliates) are against selling promos.  Seems unfair really as in my opinion promos are "rubbish" in the sense they are no value to anyone except the fans who pay big money for them.  I can go buy hundreds at records stores locally and yet if I'm caught I get a strike and three strikes and you're out.  In Australia eBay does nothing to protect sellers and so therefore I have left eBay because being a powerseller meant nothing either!  Thanks for a great blog, Lise :^)

by: Nameless Collector

Wed Feb 14 17:15:54 2007

For Lise SF above...I hope you list elsewhere. Amazon and gemm.com are but two good places to sell your CDs (there are many many others online). Believe me when I tell you that I'm already spending a lot of $$$ there (and sending friends and fellow collectors there too).

FeeBay ain't the only game in town, nor is it even close to being the best place to find collectables.

by: Gwen Milner

Sun Feb 18 12:13:21 2007

My account was suspended on Ebay when I discovered a seller, theartlofts, selling photocopies of my smocking patterns for less than my authorized retail shops sell them.  I left negatiave after purchasing my own item to verify that they were in copyright violation.  Ebay felt that a negative feedback was a worse offence than copyright violation.  Anyone know how best to deal with Ebay?

by: BS

Thu Mar 22 01:48:59 2007

Ebay started removing my vinyl tonight for potential infringement. They were listed with pictures. See boots everywhere as CD's yet they are removing my 30 year old vinyl. Ebay can bite me.