Mon Sept 11 2006 13:14:44

SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings

I'm working on an article about click-to-call buttons in online auction listings. Does anybody use them or know a seller who is using them? These can include SkypeMe buttons, ThinkingVoice, etc. (I can't find any SkypeMe buttons using eBay's search box.)

If you have any thoughts on click-to-call buttons in listings, or Pay-per-call advertising, please let me know.

SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings   SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings

by: Alix

Tue Sep 12 09:27:34 2006

Ina - Click to Call will be great for larger sellers and those who have people to answer 24 hours a day.  But for small sellers, part time sellers, etc. it will be more of a nuisance I suspect.  it's already time consuming to do listings and follow them, e-mails shipping, etc.  Adding click-to-call is just one more aspect.  Again - for larger sellers it sounds great.  But I don't want it!
Thanks for asking!
Alix

SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings   SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings

by: bonni

Tue Sep 12 10:53:23 2006

Something else that is going to prove to be a problem is timezone differences. In the continental U.S. there are four time zones, but eBay is international. How many Americans would stop to wonder what time it was in Australia or the UK, and then get frustrated to find they can't get through (assuming you can turn the thing off).

Otherwise, I can't think of anything less appealing than the idea of being woken up at all hours of the night by strangers with questions about some item I'm selling (especially when the answers are probably already in the listing).

SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings   SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings

by: Byron

Tue Sep 12 14:44:45 2006

Just what I need. A bunch of Nigerian scamsters calling me at 4:00 AM, to tell me the $1000.00 (counterfeit) money order is on the way to pay for a $12.00 postcard; and, that I should Western Union the balance from the fake money order back to Africa.

EBAY ''leadership'' squandered its shareholders' money on SKYPE. Now, the incompetents want to foist the junk on their own customers.

EBAY is essentially a ''mail-order on steroids'' proposition. Unless I make a mistake in mailing an order, I do not want any personal contact with my customers. It is a waste of my time, and there is not a dime in it for me.

Ironic that EBAY refuses to talk to most of its customers on the phone, but expects those same customers to eventually pay EBAY to be harassed on SKYPE by fraudsters and lookie-lous.

byron

SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings   SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings

by: ic2

Thu Sep 14 06:57:16 2006

Ina, Skype technology was already old when eBay bought it: today the market has choosen other open standards protocols, like SIP. In many SIP products the price is more competitive and the quality of the voice even better.
Skype is currently a total failure in the VOIP market, because its closed architecture doesn't communicate with any other networks. After that there are still so many security holes inside, that your account would be exposed to anyone on the net.
Last, but not the least, you have to keep always your PC open if you want to use it, and that sucks!
So do we need still Skype? No thanx!

SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings   SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings

by: lammergeiernet

Thu Sep 14 23:38:34 2006

A service like a Skype button would be ideal for my service. I'm generally special interest and thus low volume sales and I find calls bring alot of sales and return customers. As I am currently a private Skype user you would think I would leap at the chance to use the Skype button. I am not , I remember when ICQ was all the rage and computers where getting hijacked. Skype has a poor security reputation and its a concern that prevents me from being eager to use this feature unless they improve security.

SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings   SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings

by: trevor

Fri Sep 15 13:35:46 2006

I suspect that skype buttons will be used by small sellers, who have lots of time to chat.  The last thign that larger sellers need is to have to have to spend much more time on the phone because talk is not free

SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings   SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings

by: trevor

Fri Sep 15 13:36:20 2006

I suspect that skype buttons will be used by small sellers, who have lots of time to chat.  The last thign that larger sellers need is to have to have to spend much more time on the phone because talk is now free

SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings   SkypeMe Buttons in eBay Listings

by: Raj

Thu Sep 21 01:28:26 2006

First of all, the eBay management has gone out of there mind and whole idea sounds very foolish. All the hype about this skype is not going to take eBay anywhere. Overall, its a bad business idea.