Wed Aug 23 2006 17:38:55

CNBC Segment on eBay Store Fee Hike

I'm scheduled to appear on CNBC Squawk Box tomorrow morning to talk about the eBay fee increase and what it means to sellers. Feel free to post your thoughts here if you have something to share. I'm due to go on at 7:40 am. (I'll add a comment if anything changes.)

by: Richard Chemel

Wed Aug 23 19:31:27 2006

Ina, just finished the WSJ article, and the "experts" along with so many outsiders are simply out of touch with what an eBay seller has to deal with. Imagine the world with only one radio station- constantly tweaking its formats to please Wall Street and Investors. Content providers would hardly be able to keep up until the next format changed occurred.

I will Tivo you tomorrow.

by: Jeff

Thu Aug 24 07:11:31 2006

Good Luck Ina!  I'd watch; but we don't have cable.  Ebay sellers have to pinch those pennies.  :(

by: Jeff

Thu Aug 24 07:11:46 2006

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Thu Aug 24 09:58:42 2006

You can view my part of the eBay segment on AuctionBytes.TV: http://auctionbytes.tv/cgi-bin/video-manager/frame.pl?features&0824200

Shortcut
link: http://digbig.com/4mnrh

We hope to add the follow-up by an analyst later today, who had a very different point-of-view.

by: Steve Weber

Thu Aug 24 10:30:27 2006

Saw you on CBNC, Ina -- great job explaining the chaos at eBay within the few minutes you had. By contrast the analyst who came on after you did a fairly horrible job explaining why he's recommending that people buy eBay stock now. What was his reason -- eBay is the only alternative sellers have so this will all blow over in two month? Riiight.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Thu Aug 24 11:50:34 2006

Full segment is available on CNBC, not sure for how long:
4861a9671&f=rssmoney&fg=rss&f=15/64rssmoney

by: Elizabeth Kinney

Sat Aug 26 20:45:21 2006

I have an eBay store and am not pleased at all with the fee hikes.  eBay says it doesn't make enough money off of our stores...really?????  What this does is force us to list auctions all the time to get any traffic to our stores, especially now that Keywords is being taken away too.  Those of us with stores are for the most part the most steady bread and butter eBay has. We are being treated like outsiders rather than stores/merchants. I may consider selling elsewhere as soon as something better comes along...which will probably be soon. eBay is shooting itself in the foot.

by: Nikki

Mon Aug 28 21:46:29 2006

You were great!  The producers would have been well-served to have you for the entire segment and lost the clown who drank the eBay Koolaide.  Squawk Box, don't you need a resident eBay expert who's not afraid to show the unvarnished side of online auctions?  Keep Ina's number in your speed-dial.

by: Adele

Tue Aug 29 11:34:29 2006

Here's and example of the competition and price gouging on eBay with respect to my widget category:  $40 item.  Sells for $25 (because even though its value is closer to retail, everyone on eBay's looking for a bargain).  $20.00 is paid to distributor for wholesale price, eBay/Paypal takes $3.64 (15% assuming it sells in one month's time at 10 cent listing) - net profit is $1.36 (this does not take into consideration any overhead, time spent at post office, packing supplies, etc.)  Ebay store sellers need a reliable alternative in order to make an honest profit with our on-line businesses.  Someone please help!

by: Adele

Tue Aug 29 11:58:02 2006

Forgot to mention that eBay not only raised store listing fees from 2 cents per listing to 10 cents per listing, but decided to remove store items from the searches.  Just for those of you who cannot comprehend the issues for Store sellers, let me give you some hard numbers: I sell approximately 2,500 unique items (no duplicates) at any given time.  I almost never run auctions because in my specific category they're a waste of time and listing fees.  Prior to August 22nd, the cost for my monthly listing fees were $75.00 (with picture gallery).  Those same listings now cost $275 per month.  Not to mention the final value fees increased and items became un-searchable.  How anyone can justify this fee increase is beyond comprehension.  Please keep in mind eBay has been touting the ''stores option'' for months.  Ina had it right... then they pulled the rug out from beneath us.

I have spent three years building this business.  I am now looking at alternative sites that aren't as greedy to keeping what little profit I am making.  Ebay made a huge mistake with this latest round of fee hikes.  They should have based what ever fee hikes they were going to make based on a tiered store-fee structure and asked for some input from a cross-section of store-owners from all categories.  Instead they punitively applied a fee hike strictly to store sellers that makes no sense.

Ina, you rock... the pre-requisite for anyone interviewing you in the future: at least understand the basics of eBay, for heaven's sake!

by: bothellj

Thu Aug 31 06:25:15 2006

I agree with Adele.  I closed my Ebay store when the fee increases hit.  How much money are they making from me now?  Zero!
Good-bye Ebay!
Rachman

by: Backgammon

Wed Jan 30 20:39:43 2008

I missed the show. Can you please find a recording of it and link it in a post?

CNBC Segment on eBay Store Fee Hike   CNBC Segment on eBay Store Fee Hike

by: california drug rehab center

Mon Feb 4 11:55:51 2008

The eBay fees are now sky-high, if you ask me... Good-bye cost-efficient online-shopping, our one true love.  california drug rehab center