Thu Nov 16 2006 08:12:57

eBay Seller Incentive Programs

The seller promotions eBay rolled out are getting some attention (see AuctionBytes Newsflash article). After seeing the PowerSeller Challenge promotion, my friend said she checked with ten of her PowerSeller friends, and many of them are no longer PowerSellers (nor is she).

The promotion in the U.S. seems to be better structured, psychologically speaking: U.S. sellers can receive rewards for beating a 6-week sales target based on their previous sales. In the UK, sellers must beat their previous high invoices. Come on, who wants to get excited about paying more fees to eBay than they have in the past?! If anything, the UK promotion would have me looking at my invoices saying, how can I decrease those fees?

What kind of promotion you would like to see eBay run? I think a promotion that rewards long-term (3 years), consistent, high positive-feedback sellers (99.5% plus) would be a nice way to say thank you to all those hard-working sellers who provide inventory and plug along day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. Whether they are doing $500/month in sales on eBay or $25,000, they are stocking the shelves and making the site a destination for shoppers. Give them $100 to apply toward eBay fees to be used any way they want. Make it an annual reward.

It may not give eBay that spectacular blip in listings that Wall Street looks for (or maybe it would!), but it would certainly go a long way in regaining some of that goodwill eBay has squandered among its most valuable assets - good sellers!

eBay Seller Incentive Programs   eBay Seller Incentive Programs

by: Dan Wilson

Thu Nov 16 09:46:43 2006

The UK has previously run two sales targets style promotions in 2005 and 2006 in the same format as the US event which is why it's interesting that they are doing something different.

eBay Seller Incentive Programs   eBay Seller Incentive Programs

by: Beyond the Treeline

Thu Nov 16 09:54:14 2006

The feedback on this is *not* good ...

Apparantly Store inventory is used as part of the "target" calculation, but that same inventory cannot be used to exceed the target.

Many users report that the six-week + 10% ratio is wildly off target, and that targets themselves are arbitrarily assigned, at best. Have yet to find a user that is impressed with the program in its current state.

eBay Seller Incentive Programs   eBay Seller Incentive Programs

by: Beyond the Treeline

Thu Nov 16 09:59:24 2006

Can you say "Revoke this authorization"?

eBay > My eBay > My Account > Preferences > Third-party authorizations > eBay PowerSeller Challenge {Revoke this authorization}

We have no interest in giving them satisfaction that we took their corrupt data seriously.

Retaining the authorization permission will only give them the false perception that this was a benefit to anyone (which they will undoubtedly, blindly, repeat).

We are underwhelmed to say the least. Whenever we want to be disappointed, we think of eBay's decision-making skills.

eBay Seller Incentive Programs   eBay Seller Incentive Programs

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Thu Nov 16 15:02:10 2006

It did seem to me eBay has run these kinds of promos before, I haven't dug around to see what and when...

eBay Seller Incentive Programs   eBay Seller Incentive Programs

by: Richard Chemel

Thu Nov 16 18:45:18 2006

wow- the promotion of the week from eBay. The Powerseller Challenge.  Whoop de Doo. We are motivated enough during this holiday period. A Holiday gift of a free listing day would be real nice- of course for powersellers only. ;)

eBay Seller Incentive Programs   eBay Seller Incentive Programs

by: donnellwells

Fri Nov 17 18:21:57 2006

Well, I really feel foolish, since I am a 100% ebayer with plenty of sales and thought I was a powerseller.
Evidently, they did not include me.
However, the last time they included me was in that last "push" to get a store and increase your business with the undying committment that Ebay was going to provide to new store owners, along with all kinds of perks that would benefit everyone.
If that is their version of HELP,  then please do not give me any more.
I bought inventory that is now 4 times the insertion fees that I signed up for less than 4 months before that debacle.
So, after reading this little missive, I am relieved that they missed me and I no longer have to wonder what else they have planned under the guise of
HELP for the hands that FEED THEM.
Merci for the opportunity to think in print
WEl

eBay Seller Incentive Programs   eBay Seller Incentive Programs

by: donnellwells

Fri Nov 17 18:25:13 2006

Evidently, they did not include me.
If that is their version of HELP,  then please do not give me any more.
HELP for the hands that FEED THEM.
Merci for the opportunity to think in print,

Donnell Wells
Dallas, Texas
bootifull2u store at Ebay.com

eBay Seller Incentive Programs   eBay Seller Incentive Programs

by: http:// donnellwells2003@yahoo.com

Fri Nov 17 18:27:26 2006

My comments are above - this is difficult to use -

eBay Seller Incentive Programs   eBay Seller Incentive Programs

by: Jobe

Mon Nov 20 11:05:46 2006

I think that the ebay incentive program is overated,I know people that have been a power seller one day and not the next.
There are alot of people on ebay that just wants to make a little extra money because of there situation, case and point;I know one person that is disabled and thus cannot physically get things to put on ebay so he figured out a way to make money selling nothing,(I know this sounds odd)but there are alot of people that sells e-books, example:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=11005804461
3&fromMakeTrack=true
. and there are alot of people selling information that is in the public domain such as , there was this one person selling info on where to buy tmx elmo , and some are selling links to where they can find the famous playstation 3 three,so really there is money to be made from selling virtual stuff that only exist in cyber space.I hope this helps some people that think they have nothing to sell or no way to make any money?
Sincerely,Jobe