Wed June 22 2022 20:35:50

Will Sellers See a Sales Spike with Etsy-Funded Coupons?

On June 22, Etsy is offering a targeted set of buyers 20% off their next purchase with a unique promo code for two days only, it announced on Wednesday.

"Best part? This offer is fully funded by Etsy at no cost to you - just one of the ways we're keeping our promise of financially contributing to your growth," Etsy told sellers in today's announcement.

One seller reacting to the news pointed to the words "at no cost to you" and referenced Etsy's recent fee hike as belying Etsy's claim about the source of funds, but added, "But to be fair, the coupons backed by Etsy do sound like something nice for once. So, yay?"

Another seller was concerned about the messaging to buyers, saying they hoped it would be clear that it was Etsy that was offering the coupon. "I would hate if it results in more buyers asking for discounts because they got a discount 'before' and weren't clear that it was not offered by me."

Some sellers said they hoped Etsy would give sellers information about coupon usage:

"How might we know if a customer took advantage of that offer when something is purchased from our shop," asked one seller.

"Nice. Can we have more information about the customer profiles that uses this coupon most," asked another.

Two points we found interesting: Etsy did not reveal how many buyers will receive the coupons; and Etsy guided recipients of the email to certain curated pages, including one featuring "Star Sellers," a program protested by striking sellers in the spring.

The email pointed shoppers to the following pages:

- Gift guide (etsy.com/gift-guides)
- Star sellers (etsy.com/featured/etsy-top-sellers)
- Design ideas & inspiration (etsy.com/featured/home-design-and-organization)
- Home favorites (etsy.com/featured/home-decor-and-furniture)

Recipients of the coupon offer were told to use the code CREATORS22 for 20% off their purchase made between June 22 - 24, 2022.

Etsy shared that it had sent 18 million buyers Etsy-funded coupons in 2021 and invested over $1.3 million in discounts. "We are big believers in discount strategy as a way to build loyalty and we want to create more discounts that support your business. What types of promos excite your buyers," it invited sellers to reply.

Let us know what you think of the promotion and if you expect to benefit from it.

Perminate Link for Will Sellers See a Sales Spike with Etsy-Funded Coupons?   Will Sellers See a Sales Spike with Etsy-Funded Coupons?

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Jun 22 21:09:07 2022

" Will Sellers See a Sales Spike with Etsy-Funded Coupons? "
Doubt it.
Everybody has No discretionary income.
I should think Etsy and Ebay would be quiet on the sidelines.
There's a "buy stuff you don't need " moratorium going on til further notice.....

by: Stone Cutter This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 00:26:56 2022

Many in the U.S. continue to have discretionary income and continue to spend money. Lots of people have been traveling this summer season while the banking industry says that the U.S. consumer is nicely flush with cash, in savings.

This sounds like a good deal for Sellers and Buyers. Time will tell how strong the Fall buying season will be and how long the Etsy buyer will continue to spend money.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jun 23 08:46:16 2022

Nothing yet......

by: HappyOne This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 08:48:45 2022

I am a limit $833 a month seller on Etsy and a rare buyer (3 items in seven years). I got the 20% coupon - looked and could not find anything I “needed”; No gift giving  holidays or family birthdays soon. My coupon will not be used. So far with many “likes” I have not had any sales in last 2 days. I wonder who got the coupon? Maybe only buyers who have not bought in a while?

by: LDWCallsOut This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 09:52:12 2022

I didn't get the coupon, and I've made several purchases on Etsy during the past year.  All of those items were Vintage, so am guessing that Etsy did not want fund any encouragement of purchases from Vintage shops?

Coupon or no, there may very well be thousands of dollars of items listed on Etsy right now as I type that I would buy on the spot IF I COUD FIND THEM.  From what I read here, I understood that Etsy had AI reading listing descriptions now to make search more effective.  I am not seeing that.  No matter what I search for, I am still seeing earrings (and I don't buy them since my ears aren't pierced and I have hundreds of vintage clip-ons already) and/or items with Minnie Mouse ears (ew).

Etsy should fix their horrible search now, while they have weeks before the Winter shopping season starts.

by: Stone Cutter This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 12:29:32 2022

In reference to AI....here in the U.S. I recently heard a leading tech analyst say that many tech companies are telling her that Artificial Intelligence is becoming a big failure because huge amounts of data is necessary to produce an accurate result. Maybe it’s time for companies to scrap this whole Artificial Intelligence fiasco.

Coupons won’t drive any business if consumers cannot find what they are looking for.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 23 18:11:47 2022

Well, they were going to call them ‘Etsy-buks’, but even they realize that might be a little too obviously deja vu.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Jun 24 21:05:50 2022

Here's a question :
How does Etsy prove they spent $1.3 million on the coupons ?
Does it equal the potential loss......
Is it a legal tax write off ?
And why would they not do it for 7 days ?
48 hours hardly seems long enough.
I didn't get one sale.......

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Jun 24 21:13:32 2022

Where I come from, this whole scheme equals, in effect, spent money.....a non tangible farce.