Mon Jan 10 2022 21:24:24

Ten Percent of Etsy Sellers Use TikTok to Promote Listings

Do you think TikTok is a good way to promote marketplace listings? It seems sellers are in disagreement about the value of the social media/video platform, but one online marketplace has no reservations - Etsy is actively encouraging its sellers to learn more about it.

Etsy said it surveyed sellers to see how many were using TikTok to promote their business. It found "only" 1 in 10 respondents were currently using the platform. (10% actually sounds like a significant number.)

In promoting a webinar to educate sellers on using TikTok, Etsy referred to TikTok as a "uniquely powerful marketing channel for small businesses."

One Etsy seller commenting on the webinar expressed reservations given the dangerous challenges promoted by some users of the site. Some sellers said it takes a lot of time and investment into making TikTok pay off. And one admitted they get sucked into watching too much mindless content on TikTok.

Etsy is hosting the webinar on January 27 at noon Eastern (the registration deadline is January 21). After the hour-long webinar, "all guests will be invited to join additional, self-paced TikTok training sessions that will provide more detailed guidance on how to get started and grow on TikTok."

If you've tried using TikTok to promote your listings on Etsy or elsewhere, or if you follow sellers on TikTok, let us know what you think.

Perminate Link for Ten Percent of Etsy Sellers Use TikTok to Promote Listings   Ten Percent of Etsy Sellers Use TikTok to Promote Listings

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Jan 11 09:53:08 2022

I never had to promote my invention.
Etsy got greedy and I left.
Now I'm THE promotion miester for my product.
TikTok doesn't play in to my plans.

by: LDWCallsOut This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 11 11:06:15 2022

Yes, for small businesses that resell cheapie ''fast fashion'' wearable items mass-manufactured in Asia.  My target market was never young women aged 14 to 24.

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 11 11:51:08 2022

I love the way Etsy nails us for offsite ad fees after they increased the fvf supposedly to cover the stuff we were already paying for in our fees like advertising. Now they want us to promote our own stuff and they're shocked when we're not? If I have to promote my own stuff on various social media platforms to get sales what EXACTLY do I need Etsy for?

by: CenTex This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 12 06:17:19 2022

IMO it is just another way for Etsy to charge sellers for OSA fees. You should use social media for your own website never for a venue, that's what I do.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 13 03:07:14 2022

I have a youtube channel.  it's a lot of work.  I don't know how the other resellers take the time to make their videos.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat Jan 15 15:05:32 2022

ALSO : Just discovered they're inflating the star seller stats money (sales) by over 200%. This is exactly why I don't involve Etsy in my bookkeeping.
They are so going to get burned.....

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 16 11:22:33 2022

@quirkyantiques - I've had my Etsy shop since Etsy was about 1 year old. Back in those days, sellers HAD to promote their shops and listings because Etsy didn't see any need to do that. When they did eventually get around to that, they chose to advertise in ''hipster'' (their word) magazines. Yeah, print publications.

I don't care for the concept (or fees) of ''offsite ads'' but OTOH, they mostly don't work for me, so they cost me very little! I haven't had a sale attributed to offsite ads in about a year!

by: Fizzlecat3 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 17 12:00:41 2022

TikTok is great if you want Chinese spyware on your phone. I think I'll pass, Etsy.