Tue Feb 16 2021 21:22:15

eBay Justifies Major Billing Change Calling It Simpler

eBay is justifying a new method of collecting fees by calling it "simpler" and "more modern." But sellers have grown wary any time eBay justifies a change by calling it simpler for sellers - and this change is no exception.

Currently, eBay sends monthly invoices so sellers can pay certain fees and expenses by whatever payment method they choose, once a month. Soon, it will phase out the monthly invoice and will instead hold back fees when it disburses sellers' sales proceeds (aka payouts).

A seller warned us a month ago this change was on the way and said the move would actually make things more complex for her. "Business fees for tax purposes are readily segregated through my credit card monthly reports," she told us. "Now it's going to require pulling them from what masquerades as "sales reports.""

She also said the move would prove more costly. "For anyone who uses, as I do, a cash-back business credit card to pay business fees, this becomes another "added" cost of doing business while eBay, yet again, "adds" to their bottom line at sellers' expense."

Upon receiving the announcement, one seller said eBay needed to provide more information, wondering how eBay would deduct their monthly Store subscriptions - would it mean sellers would not receive any funds until their Store fee was covered?

Here's the letter eBay sent to sellers today:

Simplified fees

eBay has created a simpler and more modern billing process to pay your eBay fees and expenses. Beginning in late March, eBay will phase out the billing of selling fees and expenses via a monthly invoice. Instead, eBay will collect fees and other expenses, such as those resulting from refunds, claims or disputes directly from your earnings. If your earnings are not sufficient to cover these amounts, we will charge your payment method on file (debit or credit card, and/or linked bank account).

- Examples of eBay selling fees include but are not limited to: insertion fees, promoted listings, listing upgrades, and store subscription fees.

- You may find information on fees and expenses via the reports functionality in the Payments tab in Seller Hub.

- Depending on your monthly billing invoice date, you may continue to receive invoices for both March and April. You must still pay any outstanding amounts that are reflected on billing invoices that you receive during this time. Charges will not be duplicated.

Expanded support for international selling

- If you offer to ship internationally, your listings may surface in buyer searches on supported international eBay sites. You may also limit the countries you ship to by selecting specific regions in your listing settings.

- You may create listings on select eBay sites outside of the United States, such as the United Kingdom (www.ebay.co.uk), Germany (www.ebay.de), and Canada (www.ebay.ca). Your earnings for these sales will be disbursed to you in US dollars. We will continue to expand international selling to more countries in the coming months.

- For more details on international selling on eBay, click here. Additional fees may apply if either the buyer's registered address or the delivery address for the item is located outside of the United States, but you will no longer pay third-party processing fees for international transactions.

Perminate Link for eBay Justifies Major Billing Change Calling It Simpler   eBay Justifies Major Billing Change Calling It Simpler

by: bmiller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 18 08:49:44 2021

@Bill

by: Denny This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 18 09:38:46 2021

HAHAHAHAHHH!!!!!!! Now E-bay is even going to hide your expenses and income giving you bounced account fees and telling you they will say how much you made. After 17 years I'm so happy knowing they will no longer rip me off as I finish up listings. Basically sellers on e-bay are under paid employees. See how long the 18 to 20 somethings last when they can't even pay rent selling on e-bay. See how long e-bay lasts. E-bay needs experienced sellers we don't need E-bay.

by: Denny This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 18 09:51:44 2021

One last thing today folks. The more experienced sellers leave E-bay the better the other selling venues will work in the long run. For those that stay I suggest  rolling sales shut downs. That will get there attention and no big deal for all sellers to join together and shut their sales down for only 1 day 2 -4 times a month. Stick with it and they will begin to care about what your demands are. LOL!!!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 18 11:30:08 2021

Hmm shipping labels ..... "In order to simplify and project a seamless buyer transaction on eBay, eBay will no longer afford Seller Protection to those who do not purchase labels on the eBay platform. It is unfair that buyers must wait and spend time trying to ascertain what carrier their shipment is coming from and when it will arrive. We have previously removed and updated the "Fast N Free" shipping logo with more timely information and to that end, when a buyer interacts with eBays order system going forward it will have all relevant information in one place. Since it requires us to pull data from 3rd party systems and integrate it into our own system - and that is very costly, we are requiring that all shipping labels be created in/on our system. In return we will automatically extend eBays Seller Protection to all shipments. Orders shipped via 3rd party systems may not qualify for Seller Protection going forward. For these cases, to see if your shipment qualifies, please contact eBay Customer Service."

Its just that easy and it could happen at ANY time.

You have to remember that eBay has NO FLOOR when it comes to ripping sellers off. They have no reason to NOT pull a move like this - its a simple money grab - one which SOME PEOPLE here defend when ever it comes up.

by: acc756 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 18 13:50:54 2021

If eBay tried to force all sellers to purchase shipping through them, they would immediately lose some of the largest accounts on the platform - ain't gonna happen.

Any large company doing any kind of volume has direct deals with the carriers better than what eBay offers, guaranteed.

The company I work for has thousands of packages leaving our warehouse every day - a portion of which are for eBay orders.  In addition to the fact that we have better negotiated rates with UPS directly, we also have a fairly large picking/packing/shipping operation and automated order handling processes to handle the volume.  Having to change up the process for one sales channel only would be a huge waste of time and resources.

If eBay ever said our only option was to purchase and print shipping labels from them, that would be the day our eBay account was closed - without question.

And my company is peanuts compared to some of the biggest dogs in any category on eBay.

eBay may at some point try to come up with some more "enticements" to "nudge" more sellers into buying shipping from them, but there is no way they would risk the loss that would be involved in forcing that issue, in my opinion.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 18 16:43:25 2021

simpler for ebay to design a "glitch" to sneak a $1 charge for nothing and hope sellers do not notice.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 18 18:40:33 2021

@Pace

"eBay will no longer afford Seller Protection to those who do not purchase labels on the eBay platform"

Like that would make a difference? What seller protections?

Fast N Free, and Guaranteed Delivery scams? I am mulling over going back to calculated shipping on all. If I loose a little biz, I dont care. I'm tired of having to pay the shipping to the customer when they return.

I think I will actually gain some Business. The buyers are usually looking for several items for a project. So if they knock me down in search a bit, maybe it will even out.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 18 19:02:19 2021

“... there is no way they would risk the loss that would be involved in forcing [eBay shipping]...”

Uh huh.

No way they’d do back door exemption deals for those more ‘volumized’ either, thus alleviating that ‘risk’, right? Level playing field and all that don’tcha know.

Rest easy there unwashed masses. eBay ethics and concern for their more favored clientele will be your umbrella of salvation against coerced compliance to eBay tools.

Unless of course, like everything else ‘policy’ that never seems to be enforced for the more fortunate since 2007, it isn’t. But hey, not even an issue yet, so relax. This is eBay. Ya’ll should be used to that Damoclean sword by now.

by: acc756 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 18 20:21:26 2021

@ Snapped - I can assure you my company gets no special deals or perks above and beyond what anyone else at our subscription level gets per eBay's public policies.

I can also assure you everything I said above about how our business operates and the fact that we would take our ball and go home if eBay ever tried such a thing is 100% true.  There are countless other sellers at the same level or higher who would be in the same boat.

Trust me, I am very often the first one to call eBay out on ethical issues. As soon as I see anything that gives even the slightest inkling of an idea that eBay is going to do something as asinine as force sellers to buy shipping labels only through eBay you can be assured I will be all over the community, Twitter, and everywhere else giving eBay hell for it.

Like I said, I think it's entirely plausible they may try to find ways to nudge sellers in that direction but forcing it as a mandatory policy....I just don't realistically see it happening.

Personally I choose to focus on the things eBay is actually doing that deserve attention and/or criticism - and I will add ''forced purchase of shipping labels'' to the list when/if it happens.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 19 09:10:55 2021

Geetar :)

Its just eBay word salad.

EVERYONE knows that theres no such thing as "Seller Protection". And as much as a seller needs it from predatory buyers - the real criminal here is (always) eBay. They are the enablers of the crimes.

My statement isnt real - its what could happen - based on eBays past statements.

eBay has NO FLOOR when it comes to bad behaviors. They just call it "simplfied or enhanced" and people (some here too) buy into it and say "its their platform therefore they can do as they please".

by: censoredandcensured This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 19 09:27:12 2021

This may be getting a little off topic but where purchasing eBay labels are concerned, first let me say I have never had an item arrived damaged that I ship from my physical location with a label purchased through eBay (I pack them VERY well). I do sell drop-ship items and when a customer returns an item (only on a remorse return - damaged goods are refunded by my drop-shipper) and uses the eBay shipping label, if I receive the returned item damaged, I call eBay and let them know and eBay does not charge me to refund the buyer, eBay pays for the refund since it was an eBay purchased return label used and not a label that I sent the buyer for the return. I've been batting 1000 on remorse returns that I've received "damaged". You know, it doesn't take much to show damage... and then resell as open box or refurbished.

by: justchangecarriers This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 19 18:28:03 2021

This isnt simpler if you sell enough to where it matters. This makes a nightmare for tax logistics. Thanks ebay. So much simpler.

1 2