Wed Aug 19 2020 20:16:31

Expect More Product Videos on Amazon and Etsy

Some Amazon sellers got excited thinking they could begin uploading videos for the products they sell but were disappointed to learn it seems to only apply to brand-registered sellers.

Amazon posted the following announcement on Tuesday:

"You can now upload videos for your listings using Seller Central. Videos uploaded will be eligible to appear in the Images section of the Product Detail Page, a placement previously reserved for brands.

"We have seen that when a video is available, customers spend more and visit fewer Detail Pages. A strong preference for video is shown based on customer purchasing decisions.

"Sellers can take advantage of this feature by clicking Upload & Manage Video under the Inventory tab."

In the comments section of the announcement post on Amazon Seller Central, a few indicated that sellers must be brand registered and link ASINs to their brand.

Meanwhile, Etsy has just begun allowing sellers to add videos to their listings on its marketplace. Here's an example of a listing featuring a video among the product images. If you can't see it, it's because videos are in beta testing and only a certain percentage of buyers can view them, as Etsy explained in last month's announcement.

We're interested to learn if you watch product videos when you're shopping online, and if you find it worthwhile to create videos for the products you list.

Perminate Link for Expect More Product Videos on Amazon and Etsy   Expect More Product Videos on Amazon and Etsy

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Aug 20 00:18:30 2020

eBay has missed this mark time and time again. . . .

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 20 02:18:09 2020

I don't shop by UPC codes or by videos.  And I am sure I don't need to watch more commercials on venues like Amazon, Etsy, or Ebay. The blitz of ads that are on those sites are already annoying to point that you scroll away from them as fast as you can.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 20 06:40:54 2020

Yes I use the AMZ videos to make a decision about products

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 20 06:42:36 2020

Can someone tell me how I change the password in this site?

by: CenTex This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 20 06:51:51 2020

I find product videos annoying, it’s a good way for me to hit the back button and not buy.

by: shellhut This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 20 08:27:10 2020

Too many things to look at.  I already know what I want by doing extensive research on products.  I don't have time for videos.

This user has validated their user name. by: Life During Wartime

Thu Aug 20 10:29:44 2020

The very brief videos that I've seen on Etsy are useless to me.  Etsy sellers already have a (collective) issue with poor titles and descriptions that lack important info like sizes and item type.  Years ago I spent hours on Etsy looking for a nice handmade crossbody bag, and what I got were pages of shoulder bags (and, yes, the seller put crossbody/cross body in the titles and tags -- wasn't Etsy's current useless search).

I've only purchased books and a few homewares on Amazon, so had no need for videos.

The cable channel shopping sites have longer videos that were a tv presentation of the item.  Sometimes they are helpful, but mostly not -- for me, anyway.

You should have mentioned that AliExpress is starting to add videos as well.  I think it will be fun when Etsy listings from USA sellers are using videos they were supplied from their Chinese wholesale sources.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Aug 20 11:39:20 2020

Video's can be very helpful in making a purchasing decision.

One of the best examples I saw was a Johnson 9hp outboard motor.

The guy had it in a trash can next to his boat, he fired it up, you could hear how well it ran. . . .I know that's what sold the motor!

Seeing is one thing, but hearing can be another. Every car listing should have a video of the vehicle running!

I wish my air tools had video's, that sound sells guys right on the spot. When I bring a air compressor to the swap meet all the air tools sell. . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Life During Wartime

Thu Aug 20 12:59:51 2020

toolguy, your examples are great.

But Etsy shops don't sell vehicles.

Well, at least they don't today, as I type.  That may change next week LOL  Etsy shops can now resell used contemporary (5-12 years old) electronics as ''vintage''.  Why not an outboard motor?

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Thu Aug 20 20:34:06 2020

@Chicago48
>Can someone tell me how I change the password in this site?

Are you referring to this site? Above the text field where you enter a comment, you'll see an "Account Settings" link. Click on that, and you will see fields that will allow you to change your password. Enter your existing PW, and your new PW twice, and you should be all set.