Mon July 27 2020 19:54:17

Etsy Charges Sellers Hundreds of Dollars for a Shipping Label

Talk about the high cost of shipping - Etsy is charging sellers hundreds of dollars for shipping labels that should be less than $5 or $10. Apparently a glitch has caused the program to move a digit when charging sellers - but unfortunately in the wrong direction. (Oops - that should be, removed a digit!)

"I just sold several items on Etsy, printed the postage, $3.XX & $3.XX well, they charged my account $3XX.00 & $3XX.00 and they went straight to my credit card and charged my account," a reader told EcommerceBytes. "As you can imagine, I don't want almost $700 charged to my card. There is no phone support currently, all that is available is email."

Sellers reported the issue on the Etsy "Technical Issues" board, while the EtsyStatus.com homepage shows no report of any shipping-label problems.

"OMG!!what is going on ????????????  I just purchased a label for $9.39 and my finance payment account just charged me $939.00 - anyone else having problems," a seller wrote in this thread on the Etsy boards, which received 197 replies by 8 pm.

Sellers began reporting the problem after 7 pm on Monday evening. Please let us know if you're experiencing the problem, if you've been able to get through to customer service, and if it's been resolved.

Update 7/28/2020: You can find Etsy's response to the billing glitch on this thread on the Etsy Technical Issues board.

Perminate Link for Etsy Charges Sellers Hundreds of Dollars for a Shipping Label   Etsy Charges Sellers Hundreds of Dollars for a Shipping Label

by: Bob V2 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 21:18:18 2020

They've charged me 100 times the correct amount, so they're off by 2 decimal points.  They charged me almost $2800 for 4 labels.

This user has validated their user name. by: Life During Wartime

Mon Jul 27 21:22:46 2020

I feel really bad for the shop owners, but had to laugh at this one.  There were several programming exercises about getting the decimal point in the right place when I was in tech school.  Because this is, like, a big deal.  And who makes significant changes to an important site function on Monday evening at the end of the work day?  Yikes!

by: Bob V2 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 21:24:15 2020

Etsy support is not accepting phone calls.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Jul 27 21:34:22 2020

You're right, Bob - I should have written 2 digits. Or, as I just added above, *removed* the digit! Sorry it's happening to you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Jul 27 21:37:55 2020

On page 17 of the Etsy thread, people are reporting that they are hearing back from Etsy - two sellers copied the following response in the thread:

Larissa (Etsy)
Jul 27, 2020, 9:15 PM EDT
Hi there,
We're currently working on a fix to shipping label prices missing the decimal. I've added your report to our investigation and I'll be reaching out with more information once it's been corrected.
Best,
Larissa
#standwithsmall

by: Ophelia1 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 21:43:19 2020

Remember a few months ago when etsy took thousands of dollars out of the sellers' bank accounts? They eventually fixed the problem, but no apology or real explanation. Many sellers were stuck with overdraft fees that were never reimbursed.  And now this!

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 27 23:54:47 2020

Sounds like another self help loan from the Sellers for Etsy to help their cash flow.  I just do not understand how these companies can continuously make changes to their platform without having beta tested them first.  I do not sell on Etsy so I do not know if the Sellers can use a 3rd party shipping program to print their labels or not, but if they cannot, this once again sounds like a self help interest free loan to help Etsys' cash flow.

by: Bibelot Wreaths This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 03:41:21 2020

This happen to me yesterday 3 different transactions:
1. Postage cost $9.99 Etsy account was charged $999.00.
2. Postage cost $7.90 Etsy account was charged $790.00
3. Postage cost $3.31 Etsy account was charged $331.00.
Made my Etsy account go negative so Etsy then charged my credit card I had on my account $966.00 and another charge of $966.00.

by: Ophelia1 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 08:14:13 2020

There are other options for purchasing labels, the best one is Pirateship.

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 12:14:59 2020

I also use PirateShip for all platforms. Do people realize that eBay and Etsy make more money on the shipping labels than they do on FVFs? In Congressional testimony, one Congressman, Matt Gaetz surmised that Amazon was paying 20 cents on the dollar for their shipping contract with USPS. Other large shippers cannot be far behind.

Jim "Griff" Griffin once stated that eBay makes nothing on the shipping labels, obviously a lie, as some sellers were charged Commercial rates and TRS were charged Commercial Plus rates. Ebay is buying postage at a huge discount, but not passing most of that saving to sellers, only giving them the going rate everyone else charges.

How can places like PirateShip and Stamps.com make any money by charging the exact same price they get from the USPS? Of course they don't, they get favorable rates by buying in mass, just like eBay and Etsy do.

If more sellers took away this revenue stream from them, they would be forced to provide better shipping terms to sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Jul 28 13:01:55 2020

Etsy will now be relegated to the dust bin.
I won't sully my Brand.
NEXT !

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jul 28 15:52:07 2020

Yesterday I mailed a package of items with the postage being almost $37. I would have had a coronary if I got billed almost $4K for the label. I don't understand how a program can run perfectly and then all of sudden it goes crazy. I think Silver Ice King might be right about an interest-free loan.

by: thriftyone This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 17:33:35 2020

A huge problem with this is that they did not notify sellers. They could have disabled the shipping in our shops and put a banner in shop manager explaining why they were disabled. But they chose to do nothing....people found out via Reddit, the forums and twitter...this is not anyway to run a business. Some sellers were overcharged 20K...how soon will they be refunded?? It took forever for some sellers to get their money back in Feb of 2019. Thankfully, I have not been caught up in either one of these debacles. It certainly gives me pause for concern and also another reason I have not switched over to managed payments on Ebay. (I was supposed to sign up on July 20th and have not) Etsy has made 2 huge blunders with seller's monies in the last 1.5 years, I bet it will only be a matter of time before it happens on Ebay; and I trust them less than I do Etsy.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 18:23:28 2020

Several years ago I had problems with ebay shipping providing me a scan sheet. but of course they wanted all tracking uploaded immediately...but couldnt provide a scan sheet. According to CS at the time "yea, that hasnt worked for months" So I decided then, o well, they loose out, went to ship station and use 1 for all platforms.

Now none of them make any money off labels from me. F' em. They want...but on their terms. Not this time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Life During Wartime

Wed Jul 29 10:53:36 2020

From what I am reading in the Etsy Forums, it seems that the overcharges were still happening yesterday (Tuesday).  No one shut down the part of the site that sells postage.

Does anyone know how many shop owners were impacted?  Based on the few reports in the Forums, it seems that Etsy could have grabbed hundreds of thousands of $$$ (or more!) while this was happening.  A quick and sleazy way to generate a big pile of cash.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 30 00:07:06 2020

I believe it has to do with cash shortage either at Etsy or with their payment processor. This is not the first time Etsy has dipped into their seller's bank accounts. The money should have already been refunded the minute the mistake was found. There is no excuse or reason to investigate. They are responsible for the mistake. Common sense tells you a 4 ounce package did not cost over $300.00 to mail. They also need to pay what ever bank fees their sellers had to pay. NO EXCUSES!

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 30 09:34:19 2020

This is just another money grab by the thugs who run Etsy.
Notice how they pull these stunts just around the time of their quarterly earnings reports.
This is highway robbery, white collar crime.  Silverman & Co. need to be arrested like what they did to Roger Stone, then marched off to super max prison.
Sydney Schuster helps explain exactly what's going on:

htaking-exit-strategy-turns-to-hit/

by: SammyCat This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 30 10:09:12 2020

You can bet that this 'mistake' into the tens of thousands of dollars or more will show up in their report to shareholders to make them look better financially.  Sames with the hundreds of thousands in the other fiasco of their making, or the overcharging of Canadian sellers.

You can not trust these people, they will screw with you whenever they feel like it.

Yes, mistakes happen but then turn off labels when you know there is a problem.

I write or type my labels LoL and have a 30% discount for courier many of which integrate with Etsy so you don't have to type anything and is basically Priority 2 Day with the post office (where I would get a lousy 5%) for the same money with insurance a fraction of the price and with tracking.

There are so many options where you are NOT being ripped off by Etsy and adding to their bottom line at the expense of your businesses bottom line.

by: Disgusted This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 30 10:58:17 2020

I use PirateShip.  Did you see how etsy stock keeps climbing.  Tricky ways to keep the bottom line surging.
Silly me, I thought manipulating the stock was illegal.

by: Ophelia1 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 30 11:14:34 2020

All that extra money that sat in Etsy's bank accounts overnight due to the postal label "mistake" earned obscene amounts of interest overnight, and that money, is ETsy's to keep.