Sun July 26 2020 15:37:06

eBay Payments Requires Power of Attorney, Bank Login Info

Some eBay sellers questioned why they were asked to agree to give a third-party company Paywithmybank a limited "Power of Attorney" when registering for eBay Managed Payments.

The issue came up on July 8 on a thread on the eBay seller discussion boards devoted to Payments.

A seller with the handle Surplustoolandsupply noticed when they registered for Managed Payments, they were required to accept the terms and conditions of Paywithmybank (a third party).

"Among those terms I would be agreeing to give them "limited power of attorney" and make them my "true and lawful attorney-in-fact and agent,"" the seller wrote, "and then it requires me to agree to give them my banking login ID and password (which would is ridiculous enough, but especially since I have a common login to about 8 different accounts)."

In a post about how to link a bank account to Managed Payments, an eBay moderator shared screenshots that show PayWithMyBank is offered as a facilitator when a seller's bank does not appear on the list of institutions offered during the registration process.

PayWithMyBank explains on its website it is "an online and mobile payment alternative to cards and checks that allows you to pay or get paid using the information you know by heart - your online banking ID and password. We establish a secure connection to your online banking account directly from the site you are on, without ever storing or sharing your information with the site. It's just between you and your bank."

While the request for limited power of attorney in PayWithMyBank's terms of service doesn't appear nefarious, it's understandable why some sellers who noticed the provision may be concerned. We searched the boards but could not find a response from eBay about what it could mean.

There was also concern expressed about how eBay would handle refunds, with one seller surmising eBay would reach into their bank account for the funds to refund a buyer. But another seller pointed to a post where an eBay moderator provided the following explanation:

"Refunds are pulled from funds in "Available for payout." If there's not enough to cover the cost of a refund, the refund will still go through, and we'll place a debit on your "Available for payout" funds until we recover the full amount.

"This could cause your "available for payout" to become negative. If, after 21 days, we haven't recovered the full amount from your available for payout funds, the outstanding balance will be added to your invoice."

eBay has a board devoted to questions about Payments, but those who are already enrolled in the program can access a non-public board.

Perminate Link for eBay Payments Requires Power of Attorney, Bank Login Info   eBay Payments Requires Power of Attorney, Bank Login Info

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jul 28 13:48:22 2020

@DingDong

I got the message and I bank with a main stream bank.  So I don't think that plays into it.

Exactly what would you report them for to your AG and/or Banking Commission?

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Tue Jul 28 17:06:05 2020

Oh Marie............dear me.

@postbuster

Keep up with your voice. It is refreshing to hear it put so succinctly and accurately. These are a band of thugs. They've been a band of thugs for a very long time. Mr. Dufus from Walmart is just another silly little frat boy joining the others and playing slap towel games in the shower (Who knows.....maybe worse?)

The behaviours shown in the last year are utterly disgusting and go back directly to the top. Put another rodent in the seat and nothing changes. Why would it. Love the new numbers............ total of 182 million global active buyers, ACTIVE BUYERS???????????????  There are god knows how many inactive accounts everywhere. Go through feedback past a year and see how many are not there? Active Sellers.....same thing. It is a nasty BPD organization. Never will change, never can change.

I give up. Marie. I wish you the best.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jul 28 17:20:59 2020

@canbrit

I asked a question.  I did not say I supported Ebay's move to MP.  I have always said I would be perfectly happy to just stay with PP.  So I know for some they like to read more into what I say than I actually have said, but that doesn't make them or you right.

Many posters throw out accusations towards Ebay all the time.  And if one dare ask what law specifically that Ebay is breaking suddenly the person asking the question is either out of line or an Ebay supporter.  It could not possibly be because they are trying to understand what the other poster is basing their opinion on.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Tue Jul 28 17:36:53 2020

@Marie

What specifically did I throw out that was inaccurate? I wasn't answering to any question you may have posed, just the general well whatever.

Marie, I have a very big problem with the use of semantics, which is why I don't like playing games with them.

Like you, I am expressing myself. Period.

by: postbuster This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 18:19:01 2020

@CanBrit

Thank You!

Just keeping up with the company.    : )

''just another silly little frat boy joining the others and playing slap towel games in the shower (Who knows.....maybe worse?)''

You're really good at this yourself!

Just saw the 'new numbers' too.
What a bunch of smoke!  My numbers also tripled in April (COVID).  Then Etsy pumped the brakes on me in May.  Now I have to worry because Oopsy doesn't know what a decimal is?

For the same reason that ebay failed to mention more credit to Pandemic Buying, is the same reason these Dopes think they are successful.
They think we are too dumb to figure them out.
They are also desperate to look successful after all of the schemes they just pulled on the sellers.
They need to sell the message that they are making money by ''increased organic traffic, better marketing efficiency, and higher platform conversion.''
and not by reaching into my wallet.  (or bank account)

Adding 8M active buyers?  For $100 facemasks?
All of those people and only Four of them bought from my store this month.

I see the same thing with No longer Registered Users.
They tried the same thing with (but larger) numbers a few years back on their own forum.

There was the misleading statement of making ''1Billion transactions per day''
The context was in reference to sales, and that ebay wouldn't miss anyone who left.  I commented that was impossible figuring that would have to include children, homeless, third-world, and other parties or groups without access to ebay.

After a week or so of back and forth, I mentioned ^^ that statement to him^^.
The (Poser/Poster?) changed their definition meaning that transaction is the Process of Transferring Monies.
I know the difference between the two, and we all know how he meant to direct his message.
So now only half of the U.S.A. population? And FOUR people bought from me in July?

I was collecting performance data for my own shop, and now I can likely throw all of that out.
This pandemic really shook up the averages, and now, I am not too sure that we will ever go back to the same shopping patterns.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Tue Jul 28 19:21:04 2020

@postbuster

We know in the eCommerce world who's figured it out and who hasn't. I actually was surprised how poor the numbers were. Knowing full well that others are blowing them off the planet. (Oh how I wish this were true...some of those executive's have to be making enough to go on the next extra planetary flight. Let them take the first test run.)

In the real honest world, their numbers suck and suck completely. Pat yourself on the back boys. All you want is a sale to some sucker willing to buy what you destroyed. Nah.......well............maybe..........Chinese? You guys better know how to bend and very deeply.

by: postbuster This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 28 20:50:51 2020

At this rate, I'd buy it if they would take my "Best Offer".

How could anyone do worse?

by: Vigilant Eye On eBay This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 30 16:46:34 2020

According to an article posted in Business Insider earlier today, ''the US Postal Service will reportedly reduce post office hours to save money.''

fice-hours-to-save-money-report-2020-7

Some
post office locations will reduce their normal eight to nine hour workday schedules to under four hours per day, while others will close during lunchtime.

The reductions in operating hours will certainly impact anyone who is not purchasing postage online, or needs services that can only be obtained at a physical USPS location.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jul 31 09:41:44 2020

@pace306

Xavier Becerra is a hard core anti Trump Democrat, he also hates the 2nd amendment of the US Constitution. . . .A real POS

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jul 31 09:45:02 2020

The BIG if: "an eBay moderator shared screenshots that show PayWithMyBank is offered as a facilitator when a seller's bank does not appear on the list of institutions offered during the registration process."

We bank with Wells Fargo, they were on the list like most banks are!

If you're banking with 1st National Bank of Timbucktoo you might have to go with the POA. . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jul 31 09:49:33 2020

90% of the posters missed this IMPORTANT part of the OP's post!

DOES NOT APPEAR ON THE LIST ~ 90%+ chance your bank is on the list. . . .

by: StumbleBum This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 1 02:33:41 2020

People keep mixing up paywithmybank and eBay in this thread.  eBay contracted with this company to "facilitate" the signup process. The fact that eBay did this should ring alarm bells.  eBay does NOTHING that doesn't benefit eBay.  PWMB gains a POA that allows them to track your banking transactions indefinitely, and I doubt very much changing your password invalidates the ability to do so.  PWMB can then SELL that data, and it doesn't take much intelligence to know who is the most likely buyer.

I DID NOT use the PWMB to sign up, I went the long route and had to submit ID and banking statements.

I'm sure eBay knew that enough people would blindly use the "facilitator" to give them access to even more data.  Including how much sellers are selling OUTSIDE eBay.

They don't need everyone to sign up to get enough data to find more and newer ways to dip into seller's pockets.

by: Eliot This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 7 19:18:58 2020

@toolguy I bank with First National Bank of [Timbuktu]. Lol. I could open an account with Wells Fargo, the only other option in town, but we closed 5 checking accounts with WF years ago after they started screwing around with our accounts. So that's not going to happen. If that's what Ebay thinks we'll do, it's a nonstarter.

1 2 3 4