Wed May 20 2020 22:25:24

eBay Changes Rules for Earning Top Rated Discounts

eBay confused sellers recently with a notice about changes to the way it evaluates seller performance. What's new, in a nutshell, follows:

"The consequence of your monthly Seller Performance Evaluation currently applies to listings from that same month. From July 2020, they will apply to listings in the following month. We'll begin the transition to the new timelines on the June 20 evaluation."

But the page where it describes the changes also notes the evaluation rules for earning the Top Rated Plus badge and discounts will also be changing in July.

Normally sellers would weigh in on how these changes will impact them, but either they believe it won't have an impact, or they are unaware of how the changes will impact them. (We checked today's weekly chat session, and no one raised the issue.)

One of the questions we've seen arise is why eBay is making the changes, and we do have a theory about that. eBay is changing its fee structure in July as it scales the Managed Payments program to a greater number of sellers.

eBay is combining Final Value commission fees with payment processing fees - and Top Rated Seller Plus discounts will impact the amount eBay will be required to disburse to sellers. (Once a seller is enrolled in Managed Payments, the buyer pays eBay, and eBay disburses the funds to the seller.)

The changes eBay is making to the seller evaluation and TRS+ timing may help it calculate the disbursements owed to sellers.

eBay set up a page on its website to explain the two changes:

- Seller performance evaluation in June versus July 2020

- Changes to eBay Top Rated Plus badge evaluation

One of the FAQs on the page is puzzling:

Can I opt out of automatic acceptance?
No, we want to ensure that the payment process goes as smoothly and quickly as possible for everyone.

It's interesting to note that the formatting looks identical to the pages eBay rolls out for Seller Updates, and as we noted, eBay has historically announced Summer Seller Updates in May, which it has yet to do this year.

We've also noted eBay has yet to publicly post the new Managed Payments fee structure.

Be sure to take a look at the eBay Seller Standards Update page and let us know how these changes to the performance evaluation periods will impact you.

Perminate Link for eBay Changes Rules for Earning Top Rated Discounts   eBay Changes Rules for Earning Top Rated Discounts

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat May 23 17:36:34 2020

@ebayout
PP just raised fees late last year significantly when they stop allowing refunds of fees when we refund a buyer.

But again, I have no issues with PP, well other than them changing that rule.  I would much prefer just sticking with PP.  But like other similar sites to Ebay, they have their own money processing that we have to enter into so we can sell on the site.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 23 17:50:37 2020

oh gee...we get kneecapped by PP keeping 30 cents.
How about when a seller gets a fraudulent return, buyer keeps the REAL item, and ebay smiles and says it's all good.
How about THAT fee?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat May 23 17:58:31 2020

@ebayout

I don't know what PP you deal with, but the one I deal with keeps the entire fee plus the 30 cents on any refund for any reason.  If your experience is different then I think that is terrific.  But for Ebay sellers there are no refunds of PP fees anymore.

I'm not even sure why we are arguing about this.  I like PP.  And I haven't been defending Ebay.  You asked some questions, I gave you the answers.  Because I can answer the questions and the answers are all doom and gloom doesn't mean I'm defending Ebay.  It means I able to answer your questions, nothing more.

by: justchangecarriers This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 23 20:37:28 2020

Im more concerned about reporting. Ebay goes back 90 days. I cant filter on their site like paypal. Accounting for an ebay store just got twice as much work. Is ebay going to have a managed payment activity log that is filterable?

Doing general ledger journal entries is so much more chaotic with managed payments? If you dont know why, you probably havent done them.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Sun May 24 00:52:41 2020

What's wrong with 90 days??  You just set up an automatic file exchange every month, download it, and append it to your year-to-date.  Takes like 2 minutes.  You get an email when the file is ready for download.

Yes, that does add 24 minutes per year.  It's easy to over-complicate things.  Try to keep it simple.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 25 08:41:43 2020

I just received a message/notice from eBay that two of my listings did not meet the requirement for Top Rated, because I had listed them with 14 day returns instead of 30.  When I tried to check which ones (they provided the Item numbers) neither of the item numbers matched any of my listings ...

I am glad I know the number of days I need to be using now, but here we go again, another mixup.

1 2