Tue June 4 2019 12:10:26

eBay Promoted Listing Ads Appear in Completed Item Searches

"Looks like eBay has found another place to advertise," a seller alerted us after noticing Promoted Listing Ads appearing in Completed Item searches.

Many users research past sales through Completed Item searches to help determine the price of items they are selling (or buying), since people sell items in varying condition and rarity on eBay,

But placing sponsored ads for live listings in the Completed Item search results is annoying to at least some users when they're trying to research prices of sold goods. "It is very annoying to say the least," wrote a seller on this thread. "I for one will never purchase a promoted item that shows up in sold searches. It is just more unwanted things to sort through when trying to get work done."

But the EcommerceBytes reader saw a silver lining in what some may see as a desperate ploy by eBay to generate more revenue:

"This could be a good thing. It always worried me that eBay would do away with Sold Listings, in their endless quest to be Amazon-like. You won't find Sold data anywhere on Amazon, to my knowledge. Now that eBay has a self-serving use for the page, maybe that will protect it from extinction," he wrote.

Have you noticed the ads appearing in completed searches? And what do you think of the placement of your Promoted Listings as an advertiser?

Perminate Link for eBay Promoted Listing Ads Appear in Completed Item Searches   eBay Promoted Listing Ads Appear in Completed Item Searches

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 4 13:12:51 2019

As long as I'm selling and making money I don't care what Ebag does with their advertisements. I have more important things to do than worry about it.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 4 14:04:10 2019

I haven't noticed them at all, but much of that is due to the way I do my search of ended listings.  But I have found one advantage to all of the Promoted Listings on Feebay, I am now able to sell my items for much more on Facebook because the Sellers that use Promoted Listings are raising their prices by at least the amount that they are paying Feebay for their Promoted Listings.  So as usual the buyers are the losers on there.

I have noticed an increase of about 10% on what i could get for the same item a little over a month ago not including any increases for the collectible increasing in value.  I used to have to discount around 12% from my Ebay prices to sell items but have noticed the prices both being asked and sold have increased thanks to Feebay.  Now I am able to sell for the same price as the item on Feebay sold for, or at most now about 2% discount.  As more and more Sellers give in to Ebays extortion plan , things will only get better for those of us who also sell on other sites.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Tue Jun 4 14:20:39 2019

@Silver Ice King

I seem to be having luck with ending all of my items then selling similar. 4 sales today so far. Wenig is a disease.

by: That Guy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 4 14:23:16 2019

I noticed this issue a few days ago. I was a little confused at first. It's annoying to say the least.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 4 16:31:03 2019

I get Google ads in my Sold Listings ... Im in the process of trying to get them removed (via Googles options) and then see what happens.

I always keep hoping that someone will write a Python script to remove all the ads eBay puts on listings - but I havent see one yet :(

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 5 04:10:41 2019

I ignore all of that rubbish. eBay doesn't seem to realise that there is such a thing as advertising exhaustion - it becomes like white noise and people just ignore it. .

by: hawk This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 5 06:21:17 2019

it does not matter what ebay says or does. i haven't had a sale on ebay for 2 months now. promoted listings are phony. non promoted listings are phony. i have been selling my products going on 35 years now. only on ebay do they not sell anymore.

by: wellspring This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 5 09:36:52 2019

I surely wouldn’t want to commit to promoted listings only to have them promoted in sold items. Surely, it’s 99% sellers looking at sold items. While sellers can be buyers, I would never choose to place an ad in a section that attracts primarily sellers doing research. Makes no sense at all. Of course, no fee unless its actually clicked on and purchased within 30 days by that “someone” who viewed my listing but I still ask. “Where’s the proof?” I do not do promoted. At some point, our promoted listings will still fall to the bottom of page.....

by: Small Guy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 5 10:29:43 2019

Death by a thousand cuts I guess.

by: thriftyattireandstuff This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 8 23:07:26 2019

This could be very confusing if someone looks up sold listings to see if they are getting a good price. Is the item sold, or is it accidentally listed. I can confirm that one of mine showed up in sold because a local competitor way undercut me on something and I thought his price was out of line so I rechecked the sold listings and there at the top is my listing.  Now a buyer who does that may wonder if the item is actually for sale or has it been sold and accidentally rellisted. Pretty stupid.

by: purpleiris This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 9 20:52:32 2019

When will these sites learn that helping their bread and butter (sellers) earn more bread and butter is their best bet? All these desperate money grabs do is run people off. They need to quit listening to investors about "monetizing" their sites to death.

Those investors will only be around long enough to profit as much as they can. When they've effectively run a site into the ground, they'll move on to the next big alternative (ie, Etsy) and start the process all over again.

Unfortunately, the main problem is that these boards of directors consist of members who are in the business of investments, mergers and acquisitions. So, the sellers have no recourse -- no one to talk some sense into -- because their only goal is to make as much as they can by taking advantage of others.

This brings to question the legality of what's going on with these publicly traded companies being run by people who have absolutely no experience in the industries they're directing. They don't have a dog in the fight. They'll just move on to the next big thing once they've bled the current one dry.

This vicious cycle of ruining a small business's tools for growing their businesses will continue until someone puts a stop to it.