Sat Jan 26 2019 22:56:15

New Etsy Forums a Work in Progress

Etsy relaunched its discussion boards on Tuesday after a nearly 2-week hiatus, but there's still work to be done. On Friday, Etsy acknowledged some of the issues raised by users and published a list of some of the features it's working to improve.

One change that was obviously needed was the hard-to-read font, and Etsy said it would make the font easier to read throughout community pages. The readability issue was surprising given Etsy's emphasis on accessibility issues, which was behind the unpopular decision to turn seller's gold stars to black.

Etsy also said it was working on improving Etsy Teams functionality, including features for team leaders, and it had the following to say about members who had been "muted" in the forums:

"Following the migration to Etsy's new community spaces, members who are muted in the Forums are currently unable to post in Etsy Team discussion boards. We are actively reviewing this change and will get back to you with an update as soon as possible."

That was a problem an EcommerceBytes reader had written about in the Letters to the Editor

One change seems irreversible: In a Question and Answer session about the new forums, a seller explained they had been bookmarking useful threads that contained business-related information on topics such as SEO, shipping, and marketing. A moderator explained that links bookmarked by users prior to the January revamp would no longer be available:

"Following the migration, discussion threads bookmarked prior to the January 10-22 read-only window are unavailable."

The moderator did explain that users could begin bookmarking discussions going forward.

You can read Etsy's Friday update on this page.

Perminate Link for New Etsy Forums a Work in Progress   New Etsy Forums a Work in Progress

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 27 13:59:24 2019

For the life of me - having been self employed with employees for 42 years - why oh why do these sites even have "discussion" boards? let's call them what they are - disruptive unhappy posters who are allowed to rant and rave about how whatever site they are on sucks. When or who was it that decided that this behavior was conducive to business??? Stop the madness - your never going to attract new and good sellers when all that is available is the biggest gripe session posted on the internet? There's little happy happy joy joy on those boards. There's little actual help and the older posters are like Hitler bashing the shite out of innocent folks who do go there for help. Ridiculous.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sun Jan 27 18:02:30 2019

Oh, I see, if there's nowhere to voice problems, they don't exist, right?

by: Violets and Wine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 28 00:12:18 2019

Etsy Administration: Well, that should be everything we can possibly do to make Etsy an unpleasant experience for sellers, right?

Etsy Forum Designers: Hold Our Beers.

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 28 03:34:10 2019

@Whatever - ecommerce platforms not having discussion forums is like gagging employees of a firm so they cannot communicate.

SMH.

by: biglouis This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 28 03:54:29 2019

Etsy has long been paranoid about any criticism of its company or rules on the forums and has banned whole swathes of members for the most spurious reasons.

Are we talking about racism, (or any of the other isms) hate speech, foul language or harassment here - the kinds of reasons that will get one eventually banned from any forum? Hell no - we are talking about folks being banned for comments that some snitch (who is in the business of being offended) takes offence at. Or for referring to the fact that Etsy is overrun with resellers and fakes.

For those who are unaware that does not simply mean that the offending member cannot participate in the public discussion boards. It means that they are also banned from the Etsy blog. And also that they cannot post on a board which is specifically intended for members to report ''bugs'' and technical issues.

And in the meantime that they are denied these facilities (which Etsy terms privilages) these members are paying FULL FEES.

These are not PRIVILAGES Etsy, they are facilities which all members pay for!

by: hawk This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 28 05:15:36 2019

these venues are so filled with greed and corruption that they don't want to hear any truth or common sense from anyone.

we were doing awesome on this selling site for a few years. on the very day they started steeling shipping fees , our sale dropped 50 per cent. on the very day they took over the payment account , we have had no sales since. nothing but fees. just another ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jan 28 06:19:39 2019

"For the life of me - having been self employed with employees for 42 years - why oh why do these sites even have "discussion" boards? let's call them what they are - disruptive unhappy posters who are allowed to rant and rave about how whatever site they are on sucks. When or who was it that decided that this behavior was conducive to business??? "

Isn't that what you just did here?  LOL   No problem with it (I believe in free speech and I do it all the time myself because there is a lot to complain about, but please own your rant.  : )

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 28 06:32:49 2019

Discussion boards? forums? I don't have time for these, I'm doing business on that site--it's not a social media gathering for me.  That said, It is near to impossible to find an answer in either the forums or in Etsy's so-called Help files. You can waste a lot of time trying to find an answer. And emailing Etsy? Good luck getting a response. You pays your money & you takes your chance. Period. Only saving grace is that my sales have been brisk. And I do pay for those.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 28 08:50:12 2019

@Whatever, Discussion boards are read by the execs and give them some idea why sellers are having problems.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 28 09:13:12 2019

I'm self-employed and I sell online. My computer skills are limited because I just not interested in it. BUT, I know just enough to spend no more than 2-3 hours with breaks to list or work on my selling site. I sell on another site, but will go over to 2 different sites to play a game for 15 minutes to give my brain a change and back to working on my selling site.

On Etsy, I have asked questions about suppliers or a technique and such because there is a vast wealth of information and they seam to know what's out there and I don't have to search and not find what I am looking for.

Bonanza is another site that change their forums and still will make "community help" threads disappear when there are bugs on that site. Bonanza doesn't want you to know their problems.

by: FrustratedBuyers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 28 12:59:19 2019

This is not a work in progress. It's a joke. Just as bad as the mess Lithium created ion eBay. Almost totally dysfunctional.

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 28 15:17:20 2019

I've found Etsy posters on the forums to be very helpful, and previously the moderation to be generally even-handed. I've not seen 'swathes' of people banned. I HAVE seen mods tell people to keep it civil - and at times close threads when they really derail. I'm certain some posts have been pulled when they really didn't need to, yes, but I don't think it's all that common. How things will be going forward with Lithium, I just don't know.

Meeting and chatting with other sellers on marketplace forums is like meeting them for small conferences and on-site meetings, networking, etc. It helps in keeping up. I'm pretty busy with four stores on various websites and somehow manage to make some time to chat with my fellow sellers.

Unfortunately, as it stands now, the setup on Lithium is pretty bad - supposedly it's a work in progress, but we'll see. I recall when Live World revamped eBay's forums years ago (pre-Lithium), they managed to do a good job in under a few days. Not sure what's up with Lithium.

by: bobsy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 28 21:50:46 2019

The forums are not just to vent, they serve a valuable resource for new sellers. If it weren’t for the forums I would not have become as successful because there are a lot of really helpful people there like cindylouwho, to name just one person who helped me and consistently helps fellow sellers.