Tue July 3 2018 22:31:48

A New Twist on eBay Sales Restrictions

Update 7/4/2018: eBay posted the following announcement today:

Markdown Manager Update
Jul 4, 2018 7:30:32 AM
In the 2018 Summer Seller Update, we announced new changes to requirements for creating a markdown sale event that went into effect on June 25, 2018. We listened to your feedback and have made a change to these markdown sale requirements. Sellers can now add items to a markdown sale event even if the listing was previously in another sale event within the past 14 days as long as the listing price has not been changed.

In May, eBay announced a new policy on price markdowns made with Promotions Manager: "Starting June 25, 2018, you must list your item for 14 calendar days at the same price before you can create a markdown sale event with Promotions Manager."

But eBay omitted some crucial information from the announcement and accompanying FAQs. Here's what readers are telling us about the problems they're encountering when trying to run sales on their listings:

One reader wrote: "Are you aware that eBay is limiting buyers from running sales if they update or have an item on sale in the last 14 days? In the last update they indicated that new listings would have be up for 14 days before they could be put on sale but never said a word about existing listings that have been updated or on sale within the last 14 days."

Another reader forwarded a message from eBay for Business: "...If the item was revised, placed on sale, or listed within the last 14 days you will not be able to discount them again for another 14 days."

And another reader wrote, "Just told by eBay Customer Service that the new 14-day policy (June 26, 2018) that an items must be listed/active for 14 days before it is eligible to “put on sale” also means that 3, 5, 7 & 10 day listings that end before the 14 days requirement and auto renew are NOT eligible to List in a Sale because they did NOT stay live for the 14 day requirement."

We also noted that eBay is exempting some sellers from having to comply with the policy: "As part of the Summer 2018 Seller Update, eBay announced an update for markdown sale events that will require a listing to be active at the same price for a minimum of 14 calendar days before it can be included in a sale event starting June 25, 2018. We wanted to let you know that we have exempted your account from this requirement. You will continue to be able to create markdown sale events for listings without a wait period."

Here's a link to the policy, let us know if you're running into the same problems reported by readers.

Perminate Link for A New Twist on eBay Sales Restrictions   A New Twist on eBay Sales Restrictions

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 4 08:05:14 2018

ebay has become a quasi-government.
It creates needless restrictions & policies filled with gobbledygook, and then hires an army of mindless goons to "advise" on and enforce same.
Still, it's more unsafe than ever.
SMH.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Jul 4 09:54:38 2018

Another new policy rolled out with transparency that is as clear as mud.

eBay's empty suits simply can not find enough ways to shoot themselves in the foot by targeting sellers with policies that do more harm than good - then, disseminating limited information at roll out and more 'gotchas' after the roll out is done.

Selling deserve better than this and unfortunately, the only way they find it is to abandon eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Jul 4 12:10:03 2018

My items don't have to be listed for 14 days before I can put them on sale.

Maybe it's the category I list in. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Wed Jul 4 15:21:00 2018

See update above - thanks to readers for letting us know that eBay updated the policy today.

by: Coin Seller This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 4 16:51:02 2018

Updated policy applies to GTC, not ''relist until sold'' items on 30 day cycles.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Wed Jul 4 17:07:39 2018

@Coin Seller

Just discovered that little (Massive) bit of excluded information when I tried to launch a promotion. I wanted to put all 240 items in it, it only selected 9 and I haven't ran (run?) a promotion since Father's Day. Should have figured it would be too good to be true.

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 00:05:56 2018

Another policy that makes no sense. We don't mind since most sales are not within the first 14 days anyway. We have found that sales with a timed promotional offer create a sense of urgency for buyers who see a timer. We are not sure why ebay would institute a policy that encourages buyers to "come back later" it is sales 101 that "be backs never come back".

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 00:38:39 2018

I list EVERYTHING for 30 days now - no more GTC - changing my store subscription to monthly soon - I hardly pay any attention to what their doing these days because we all know they have no clue. If it doesn't sell in 30 days I just move it to my website and move on. Ebay used to be my partner - granted that was quite a while ago but it's really sunk into my thick head their not so I've moved on

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Jul 5 03:08:23 2018

Just launched a few markdown sales that had previously been negated.  Glad that episode is over - waiting for the other shoe to drop.

That 14 day thing was NOT clearly explained, and made no sense.  The eBay page about Promotion Manager even suggested you use it for close-out items.  So you put a big discount like 30% on it to move it out, it doesn't sell.  Instead of being able to put a bigger discount on it, the price goes back to normal for 14 days.  Sure isn't going to sell at THAT price if it didn't sell at 30% off.  What were they thinking?!?  Glad they snapped out of it.  I was just going to abandon it and set reminders in my phone to periodically bulk edit prices downward if necessary.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Thu Jul 5 10:43:20 2018

Sellers that regularly use markdown manager (now "sale event + markdown" -- FFS eBay fix your ridiculous naming convention and just call it "Markdown Manager") are claiming staggering impact to sales.

This move had to have cost eBay money, else they'd have not have changed it ( as coin seller points out, the change only currently effects GTC listings).

But because it's impacting eBay's marketplace revenue and they've been forced to change it, naturally they're claiming credit for "you spoke, we listened".

Don't fall for it.

by: Mark4 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 10:51:03 2018

I won't use any of ebays "features" such as markdown manager. This site is so full of glitches and tech problems one is asking for trouble using any of them. What a mess ebay is, anyone who owns stock or is thinking of buying ebay stock better think twice. They will lose their money.

by: Bethofvt This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 12:02:09 2018

I wanted to run 40%off sale over July 4. I chose 70 items that had not had price changes in past 14 days. 36 of the listings had Best Offer on them and with 40% off I was not going any lower, so I removed the Best Offer from then. I went to create the sale and was not allowed to include the 36 listings I removed Best Offer from because they "had been revised in past 14 days" How stupid!!

by: captainzombie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 12:15:29 2018

I probably should have left things alone last week after the MM update on 6/25. Like you, I never used my sales as manipulative pricing tactics. My sales would never exceed 25% and I would go that high on sun visors and ECU's since I had a whole new batch of inventory coming in to clear out as much as possible. Every week I'd run a sale and depending on the inventory on hand and what I needed to sell, I'd do sales from 15% and upward, never exceeding that 25%. Last week I started adjusting my prices due to this change, and in the ebay motors > parts and accessories category there is no MSRP on used items. You are at the mercy of the pricing as the market dictates.

After a nice 4th of July outing with family, I come home to find out that eBay has decided to change this MM yet again. Now since we updated some of our prices, this **bleep** counter starts all over again. We updated the prices to reflect the first change, yet if we knew about the second change, there would have been no reason to. I call eBay Anchor store support and speak with Julianna. Her and I never see eye to eye on ebay changes since I get her quite often, but for once, she actually felt very sorry for me with these changes. Their support has been getting slammed over this. I asked her if there is something that their support can do to even rollback my listings that have been affected? IT doesn't seem to be possible. While my sales have been okay, they are not where they should be as I have been selling really well since the beginning of the year until this change was made.

Overall, wouldn't the proper solution have been to not allow people in certain categories to exceed XX% on sales the first 14 days? Then after the 14 days, you can increase your MM% another 10% if need be? Even take it one step further and reach out to those that are abusing the system? I have competitors that will take the same items I sell, let's say a window switch for $50 and they will mark it up to $100 with a 50-60% off sale. Now that to me is total manipulation. It goes back to the one size fits all model that ebay has. It just doesn't work for everyone.

I sit here and feel like there is no end in sight with all these changes and now my business is taking a toll for it. Certain people may come in here that don't even sell to sound off, and you know who you are, but this kind of change was not properly thought through.

eBay open this year is going to be a nightmare for the ebay team, they will have a whole host of unhappy people to deal with there.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 15:08:31 2018

@Tool Guy, check your emails around May 20-24. eBay exempted some sellers from the sales restrictions and notified said sellers by email.  However, eBay has not bothered to make this public nor has eBay seen fit to share with ALL sellers here what a requirements a seller needs to meet receive the exemption.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 15:10:27 2018

BTW, for some sellers, NONE of the sales and promotions features are working - even on items listed over 14 days with no prior sale or price changes.

by: ellisdtripp This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 16:50:51 2018

The markdown manager is now useless to me. I run % off sales from time to time. However, I have been using Auctiva for years for ebay listings. It is easy to take a group of listings, duplicate them in their own folder, mass edit the price and add "15% off!" to the title line. I have less than 250 listings a month, so this works fine for me. So far it effectively isolates me from a lot of eBay bullsh!t. eBay operates on the principle of "If it isn't broke, fix it til it is."

With Auctiva i can also have insurance on foreign shing but not on domestic (unless I choose to do so) without dealing with doucheBay's egregious practices.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jul 5 22:52:26 2018

Ebay = Unsustainable

by: jacky This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 6 02:25:53 2018

it's normal

by: wilburnet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 6 12:55:15 2018

Hope it hits those chinese sellers who only use GTC listings.  What about Ebay sellers who use API for amazon dropshipping etc.
Theit prices could be revised numerous times in the day

by: nuggets This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 7 15:22:44 2018

Can someone who can write, write an article on the company that ebay contracted to run their discussion board? Lithium. If anyone has been there, its clear that there are a few troll accounts gas-lighting people for years and years. They sell nothing, yet have old ebay accounts, are always chastising upset sellers who have legitimate gripes and are hurting due to mismanagement of the platform.  You dont sit around 24 hours a day, having 3000 posts, posting pro ebay or being rude to sellers unless you are clearly paid to do so. Someone is subcontracting pro trolls to misdirect. I call them the scolding trolls and its the same stuff being used in our political system and people arent happy about it. So maybe ebay doesnt hire them directly but theyve hired someone who does and there is no way they dont know its happening.

Check out emerald40, dhbookds, castlemagicmemories, everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures.

Look at the profliles and tell me these arent people who sit on these forums and be rude to already damaged sellers. There are more and a couple others Ive noticed who are clearly on the ebay doll by way of some other company who arent as horrible. Of course one or 2 may just be horrible people who dont sell on ebay but spend all of their waking hours trolling people.  Organic trolls do exist but these arent and its too damn obvious.

It should be illegal to gas-light people and hire trolls to cover up bad behavior, regardless of which company hires them. You know the money comes from ebay initially. if you have a discussion board, let the sellers gripe and help each other out, not have a few bad intentioned people beat up on the already beat up sellers.