Mon Dec 3 2018 14:21:13

ALERT No USPS Mail on Wednesday December 5th

There will be no mail pickup or delivery on Wednesday, December 5, 2018, though there will be limited package delivery service.

President Trump proclaimed December 5th a national day of mourning throughout the United States to honor former President George H.W. Bush, who passed away on November 30th at the age of 94. The US Postal Service announced:

"Out of respect for President Bush, the nation's 41st commander in chief, and to honor his vast contributions to the United States during his lifetime, and consistent with the presidential proclamation, the Postal Service will observe the national day of mourning.

"The Postal Service will suspend regular mail delivery and retail service Dec. 5. USPS will provide limited package delivery service on that day to ensure that the Postal Service network remains fluid and USPS does not experience any impacts to its package delivery operations that might negatively affect customers or business partners during the remainder of the busy holiday season."

eBay has yet to announce the news, but sellers were discussing the possibility prior to the USPS announcement. One seller wrote, "Wonder how eBay would handle all of those late Guaranteed Deliveries? That could be very expensive for eBay!"

Naturally sellers must also concern themselves with buyer expectations and marketplace performance standards. It's of special concern given the potential to disrupt orders with Christmas only 3 weeks away.

Federal government offices will be closed, the Supreme Court will postpone arguments, the stock markets will be closed, and it looks like some states will close their offices on Wednesday (Kansas).

We'll update this post as we learn more details.

Update 12/3/2018: Here's a link to the announcement.

Update 12/3/2018: Looks like there *may* be some very limited package pickup on Wednesday for certain business accounts. (Doubt that would include small businesses.)

I'll try to get some clarification, it hadn't occurred to me that would be a possibility, even though the announcement said limited package *delivery.* (If true, could it have a lot to do with Amazon fulfillment centers???)

Update 12/3/2018: Stamps.com published a chart with some additional information, though we're still left with a lot of questions that we're trying to get answered.

Update 12/4/2018: It appears Amazon sellers will not be impacted by Wednesday's observance. Amazon will not penalize sellers for late delivery in case the promised delivery date was 12/5 or 12/6, since sellers cannot do anything for shipments already in transit, and Amazon will remove defects from their metrics. And Amazon won't penalize merchant-fulfilled sellers for standard shipments with ship date as 12/5.

Update 12/5/2018: eBay said it would protect sellers from any fallout resulting from postal delays resulting from the day of mourning observance by the US Postal Service.

Update 12/5/2018: The USPS updated its alert with some helpful information, see the Newsflash story just posted.

Perminate Link for ALERT No USPS Mail on Wednesday December 5th   ALERT No USPS Mail on Wednesday December 5th

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Dec 4 12:46:42 2018

If I sell anything today before 4:30 I'll ship it today. . .

And if it's after 4:30 I'll print a label for the next available day be it the 5th or 6th

by: dannyb This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 4 12:57:01 2018

@Bignfuzzy

Thanks for the updated - good to know I can drop off packages at the loading dock although the retail center will be closed.  I'll double check with my local P.O. as some might be different than others.  The P.O. clerks I spoke with yesterday were hoping they would be able to work as they get paid for the day off + paid again if they come to work. So there are probably plenty of workers available - except for at ebay ;)

by: cpm This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 4 14:55:34 2018

do carriers get paid tomorrow for the post office being closed? and if they volunteer to just deliver pkgs do they get paid for both?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Tue Dec 4 16:19:32 2018

Just updated post with eBay's announcement.

by: dannyb This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 4 19:17:12 2018

@cpm

My USPS workers told me they get paid for the day off.  If they chose to come in and work they get a day off in the future instead of getting paid for coming to work.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 4 21:08:25 2018

HA...in true ''me too'' fashion, eBay waits for what Amazon is going to do, then announces their plans.

I don't trust eBay at all. Everything I have sold today is shipped. From then on my handling is adjusted to 2 days to skip Wednesday.

I did speak to my carrier. She explained they will be delivering Priority Mail and parcels tomorrow. She did say that if I had any packages to go out, she would accept them and scan them. I would imagine the same holds true for most carriers working tomorrow.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 4 21:09:07 2018

Maybe its just me...but I don't see what the post office has to do with a president's burial...kind of silly!  Put the flags at half staff and let's get on with it.  Are the stock markets going to be closed too?  Or are we going to sit and watch another nose dive into oblivion?

This user has validated their user name. by: Bidonmine

Tue Dec 4 21:17:29 2018

As much as I hate to, in order to prevent possible late shipment dings, I put my ebay and amazon stores on  vacation until 6am Wednesday.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Dec 4 21:17:39 2018

This is mind-boggling! Giving away my age here, but as a young woman, I would rush to the remote to change channels each and every time GHWB's face graced the TV set. I only started to relax in my living room when Bill Clinton was elected. The deceased deserve respect, but 24-hr saturated news coverage, closing the stock market, and now USPS is so over the top. I'll be grieving all right...my pickups and deliveries! (Man, they should have tried harder to keep him going until after the new year).

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 4 21:40:01 2018

From what I have read, this is customary when a president has died whether or not he is in office and whether he is a Republican or Democrat. It is not a political thing.

I have an early morning appointment, so when I got up from a nap today and saw orders from Amazon I started packing them and then remembered the PO is closed tomorrow. Reprinted what I had to and have everything to go out on Thursday instead.  I saw at the USPS website that thigs were basically closed so I'm going with that.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 5 01:08:55 2018

" Are the stock markets going to be closed too? "

actually they are.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 5 02:30:51 2018

After today's stock market down slide their probably really happy to close tomorrow.

I spoke to my post office today and they said their closed - I asked where the usual notice on the door was - told him I nneded to take a picture to send to ebay when they ding me tomorrow - he directed me to the official PO website - mine will be closed.

1 2