Fri June 9 2017 20:25:31

Etsy Responds to Social Linking Controversy

Some sellers were upset to learn that Etsy was displaying ads for rival sellers at the top of listings when visitors came from social networking sites. We wrote about the issue here yesterday.

Etsy said it provides a workaround solution, telling us today:

We understand that sellers may not want recommended listings to show up when they share their items on social media or elsewhere. Sellers can create a personalized link for their items by adding their shop names to a listing's URL. When a shopper clicks on this link, they'll see the seller's listing without other recommendations. For example, if a seller wanted to share this listing on their Facebook page:

They would share this updated link instead:

Sellers on this discussion thread explained why they believed the workaround was not entirely satisfactory.

Etsy also responded to another seller's concerns described in this thread. The seller provided screenshots (no longer available for viewing) that described the same issue (ads appearing in her listing when she clicked through from a Pinterest post), but she also described another issue.

The seller said, "AND Now, because there are so many images on the page, my main item images DON'T LOAD." Etsy responded to the seller in the thread, saying it was unable to replicate the problem the seller had with her own image not loading.

Displaying other sellers' listings inside a seller's marketplace listing is never welcome. Marketplaces like eBay and Etsy generally tell sellers that everyone benefits, since they have a shot at having their listings appear in other sellers' listings as well.

The fact that Etsy is doing it for traffic coming from social networking sites might seem more palatable than if it were for all traffic. But the fact is, Etsy sellers have spent a lot of energy linking to their listings on sites like Pinterest and Facebook, and some of them say now they may curtail such activity.

Some sellers are advising colleagues to only link to listings on their own websites, not marketplace listings. What do you think?

Perminate Link for Etsy Responds to Social Linking Controversy   Etsy Responds to Social Linking Controversy

This user has validated their user name. by: White Rabbit

Mon Jun 12 07:09:23 2017

"I do not sell on Etsy, but I have been tweeting ads for folks selling on Etsy every day to help them out. Beginning tonight, I will no longer Tweet Etsy posts."

GOOD FOR YOU! We did the same thing.. no more tweets for the pig Etsy site.

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 08:35:41 2017

Let's get real- how many people are actually going to take the time to do this work around?  I'll bet less than half of one percent of Etsy sellers.

I have been paying a promoter to advertise my items on social media including Pinterest.  All those links that I paid for now go to the Etsy marketplace and my own little listing that I PAID for is surrounded by a dozen of other items from MY COMPETITORS' SHOPS.

Do the fools at Etsy really think that I am going to continue to PAY to  advertise my competitors' shops??

I am grateful for one thing- they have finally pushed me over the edge and I will be setting up my own site on one of the many other platforms that are out there.

Etsy could have had it all.   They could have had a monopoly on genuine handmade & vintage.  But they blew it big time because of their never ending  GREED & STUPIDITY.  The hell with them.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Mon Jun 12 14:56:41 2017

▲ What Flying Childers said ▲

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Mon Jun 12 14:57:28 2017

Particularly the last few words.

by: StayClassy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 22:37:56 2017

Flying Childers says "Let's get real- how many people are actually going to take the time to do this work around?"

More people just got suspended the first day than will EVER do that work around.

I've was shut down fairly early in the great "Foul Paypal sellers Be Gone" toss...I really thought I'd be more upset. Turns out I don't give a shit anymore about Etsy. That happened very fast.

It's so demeaning selling there, all the pretending, conforming, passive aggressive rules & word inventing . I'm on Ebay now with sales and customer service. So far so good.**knock on wood** I might try another site..who knows.
I do know one thing after 10 yrs and 10000s of sales I will never - NEVER sell or BUY on Etsy again.

If sellers take issue with that statement - I suggest they take that up with Etsy....oh yeah..they don't care so good luck with that.

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 12 23:39:30 2017

Stay Classy- you are so right.

Whoever is running Etsy these days must have a death wish for the site because it is going down fast.

What I don't understand is why the stock hasn't completely tanked at this point.  It seems to have actually gone up a little bit when the new Chad took over.

It's like a perfect storm- the sellers are getting screwed left and right, leaving and taking their goods and money with them.

The new sellers who have the cheap imports don't bring in as much money as the older, well established sellers of authentic handmade and vintage items.  This has been documented.  So why would Etsy pander to them?  There's only so much they can make from the phony ads that they sell them.

Meanwhile, Etsy is trying to be another Ebay or Amazon or maybe even Walmart.  The trouble is they simply don't have what it takes to play with the Big Boys in that market.  And they never will.

Like someone else said, if they had just stuck with the original model of genuine handmade, vintage and supplies, they could have been raking in billions.

by: Freeeeeeeee This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 18 07:40:13 2017

StayClassy is 100% correct.  Ive sold on Etsy for a while now but over the past few months something has gone horribly wrong.  They dont seem to grasp that not only are they not the only game in town but that without sellers they wouldnt exist  I too find their business culture distasteful and their manner, at best, patronising.  At best.  I too am desloughing my business of Etsy because it turns out #I dont give a shit about etsy.

1 2