Sat June 18 2016 22:11:54

Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?

When people started selling online, it was great for buying hard-to-find goods that local retailers didn't carry. But to some, it seems there is a growing number of common items that are not being carried in local stores.

An eBay seller described their frustration in trying to find some common items locally in a thread on the eBay discussion board, "I just got another Reminder Of Why Retail Is Dying and should buy everything online."

First, the seller went to buy AA rechargeable batteries. They tried the local dollar store (it had stopped selling them), a mini mart, a grocery store, and a drug store - all sold out. "This has happened to me many times before for a myriad of products from space heaters to electronic accessories to my size of clothing," they wrote, and listed some examples.

Another person made an interesting point in responding to the thread: why can't you click sort by lowest price first all the brands of gherkins on the shelves in the pickles aisle?

Interesting idea - the way we shop online is changing our expectations of how we should be able to shop offline as well. Online checkout may even be contributing to the growing number of self-checkout aisles at retail stores as shoppers get used to the concept.

Are you seeing changes in the items your local stores carry? And do you think online shopping is contributing to a decrease in selection at brick-and-mortar stores? What are the consequences?

Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?   Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?

by: Orwellwasright This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 25 08:50:08 2016

Here is a perfect example  of why retailers are failing:

My wife bought me a new digital camera  for my birthday
 She bought it at a major chain store..

When I opened it I saw it did not have a cable so I could download my pictures to my computer;

I went to the store to purchase one, and after being met with blank stares by the employees I was told by the manager that they do not carry that Kind of Stuff anymore And I should go to amazon or something (exact words)

I returned the camera and bought everything camera and cable  from az , and for less then she paid

This is not a murder the death or b&M retail is a suicide

Afternote : at 2 in the afternoon there were not even a dozen shoppers in the store

Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?   Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?

by: Orwellwasright This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 25 08:50:11 2016

Here is a perfect example  of why retailers are failing:

My wife bought me a new digital camera  for my birthday
 She bought it at a major chain store..

This is not a murder the death or b&M retail is a suicide

Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?   Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sat Jun 25 21:13:46 2016

And the best part is that major retailers have blocked off all avenues of complaint.  Every now and then they put out a survey of stupid general questions (rate our store 1 to 10).  The only way to respond is to withhold money but even then they deliberately draw the wrong conclusions.

Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?   Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 28 07:27:34 2016

The fact is, US consumers disposable income is at an all time low and folks are only buying what they need or really, really, really want.
^^
True.

Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?   Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 28 22:03:52 2016

There's a lot of stuff people would rather do than plod around in a store looking for stuff. That's about the size of it.

Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?   Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 28 22:06:23 2016

I have for the most part quit buying online period. I can find what I need locally. I am all for getting up , & goin somewhere , every opportunity I get. Im not  for online sales , as I once was.
Getting sick of it all.

Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?   Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 28 22:13:42 2016

When I go to my favorite electronics store , I get choices , not just what a robot wants me to see. I purchase whatever , & take it home. If I need to do a return , bring my receipt , & go home with my money.
I can get the camera , cleaning kit , extra lens , bag ect... One place , OH & batterys.

Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?   Are Local Stores Coming Up Empty?

by: fAlken This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 20 13:00:40 2016

Do most of you live in small towns?  I have no problem finding any of the basic items and I live in Tucson az.  Walmart, Target, costco, sams club are just a few of the retailers that carry everything.  Rechargeable batteries?  First of all, you shouldn't buy those from the dollar store.  They don't have rechargeable batteries at walmart, target, best buy or even radio shack?  What I see in retail is less people because everyone is BROKE, and if you go to thrift stores, there's an obvious dumping of vintage goods going on from the older generation and there doesn't appear to be any interest in those items by younger generations.  I've noticed that.  I've also noticed that vintage now means nostalgic items from my own childhood like the Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis and anything from the late 80s -early 90s.

As far as regular everyday items, no I have not noticed things like Batteries suddenly not being available.  I think we may eventually head that direction as the cost of everything goes up constantly while everyones wages sit stagnent.  Perhaps B & M's will close up because nobody can afford to drive to them, let alone buy anything.  But that will effect online sales as well....

1 2