Tue June 2 2015 22:43:03

Devin Wenig to Make Changes to eBay Search?

eBay is at its best when we enable small and medium-sized brands and merchants to present unique inventory to shoppers who love to shop, Devin Wenig told Internet Retailer

Wenig heads eBay Marketplaces and will become CEO of eBay after the breakup with PayPal in the third quarter.

"By finding new ways to highlight eBay's unique selection, Wenig aims to turn eBay into a "discovery-based marketplace" where value-oriented shoppers stumble upon and buy items they might not have known about, or thought about buying," Internet Retailer wrote.

Like his predecessor before him, Wenig plans to make big changes when he takes over - including better search and better merchandising.

However, the publication notes there are skeptics, and it writes, "Even if Wenig does breathe new life into a leaner, more appealing eBay, many believe that the endgame might be another company acquiring the online marketplace."

It seems what's old is new again.

Perminate Link for Devin Wenig to Make Changes to eBay Search?   Devin Wenig to Make Changes to eBay Search?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Jun 6 12:33:23 2015

@Basset,

Only those fields that are designed to protect/improve eBay's revenue stream are mandatory ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sat Jun 6 15:16:59 2015

@ Toolguy - Not listing, I was searching.  The choices you list are mostly the same ones I get when I LIST.  May change a bit from category to category.

Do a search.  For example ''owl bookends'' under ''all categories''

At the left of your results where filters are located, scroll down to ''condition''.

My results show a count as follows: New (171), Used (299), Not specified (699)

So, if I am looking for a true vintage owl bookend set, I would click on ''used'' where there is presumable 299 results to show.

If I choose NOT to go back and click on ''not specified'' I will not see an additional 699 results.  Those ''unspecified'' results may contain just what I seek, but I would never know if I don't take that extra step - by not completing the ''condition'' section some sellers may be missing out on views and sales.

Not a solution for everything - but a small thing that may help some.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Jun 6 23:37:11 2015

@ Devin Wenig,

I'm still receiving emails for only seven out of my 50-60 saved searches; it's been a couple of months now that this nonsense has been in effect; how long is it going to take before you turkeys fix this situation? How do you expect buyers to find what they are looking for if your "saved search" email system is broken?—Cretins ...

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Jun 7 01:02:01 2015

@Basset

I searched for "owl bookends"

My results show a count as follows: New (171), Used (300), Not specified (2)

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Jun 7 04:20:19 2015

For "owl bookends" I just got ...
New (126)
Used (258)
Not Specified (145)

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Jun 7 11:32:10 2015

This morning my ''owl bookends'' numbers are

169 New
300 used
155 not specified

Huge drop in ''not specified'' from yesterday - maybe a bunch ended?  Over 500?
Still showing almost as many ''not specified'' as new that will not show up in a search result UNLESS you look at ALL condition or go back and click ''not specified''.

Phil and I have closer results than Toolguy.  No explanation - just another mysterious occurrence to cause our heads to have a pre-spin shake.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Jun 7 12:39:04 2015

Owl Bookends

626 total

New (169)
Used (301)
Not Specified (156)

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Jun 7 12:41:19 2015

Is it wise to Not Specify?

How does one select "Not Specified" when making a listing?

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Jun 7 12:54:30 2015

I cannot see where it would be wise.

Searchers who have filtered the Condition results to either ''new'' or ''used'' would have to remember to go back to look at ''unspecified'' (which could contain BOTH).

If short on time or doing a list of searches, they would likely skip it.  Thus to be ''unspecified'' may turn out to be ''unseen''.

I think if you don't complete the ''Condition'' field at all when you list an item reverts to ''unspecified''.  That is why I asked yesterday if it was mandatory to complete that field. I thought it was -

It has a green asterisk - which says it indicates a required field on my listing form.

At least it looks like the result numbers are more in line across the board now.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 7 20:51:20 2015

Ebay did an underhanded thing when they secretly transformed ebay as a service where you paid a fee to advertise your products, to what they have now, which is a retail business where they select and show what products make them the most money, while still taking a fee, fooling sellers, in my opinion this is a form of fraud.

The trust is gone, and it's going to take quite a bit, to re-gain, I personally do not think it's possible, a simple fix of search, is nothing.

Similar to their most promoted products, Talk is cheap,

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jun 8 01:56:08 2015

"eBay Valet Gives It Away for the Month of June"

eBay's creation of the eBay Valet consignment service is itself a clear demonstration of eBay's desperation; that they are now offering to sell an item for no fee during the month of June simply makes that desperation doubly obvious ...

I hope you all are wearing your lifejackets 24/7 because, obviously, the rusting old scow is surely getting close to slipping beneath the waves ...

by: truevisionary This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 9 00:51:53 2015

Er people don't use ebay to search, they use google. Nobody goes to ebay to find anything. People go to Amazon to browse and shop, not ebay. The days of ebay being a go to site to browse and shop are long gone and will never be back. Fix your google search ranking problem and you are 90% there.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jun 9 10:09:06 2015

@philip

"eBay's desperation"

Philip, eBay made over $1 BILLION in profit for 2014

I doubt they are desperate!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jun 9 10:11:31 2015

@truevisionary

You can use Google to search

It will lead you back to my eBay listing. . .

People who built aircraft and race cars shop on eBay.

Think of that next time you fly ~ LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jun 9 10:47:02 2015

@toolguy,

You should be batting for eBay on SeekingAlpha.com; oh, and by the way, eBay's shareholders have seen none of that "profit" ...

In the meantime, why don't you give us your opinion as to whether or not eBay is calculatingly facilitating massive shill bidding fraud on its auctions?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jun 9 11:16:37 2015

@Philip

Who runs actions anymore?

Shill bidding happens at ALL auctions be it on eBay or not!

And share holders have NOTHING to do with eBay sales.

I was once a eBay share holder, I was fortunate enough to get in on the IPO. My mistake was selling too soon for only a 300% profit that could've been a 8000% profit today.

Philip, eBay isn't going away no matter how much you dream of it.

You're negativity gives my positivity merit!

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jun 9 11:33:27 2015

@toolguy,

"Shill bidding happens at ALL auctions be it on eBay or not!"

And that makes it OK, does it? Even when it is demonstrable?

I look forward to seeing you batting for eBay on SeekingAlpha, or are you already there under another name? ...

by: wasteland-mechanic This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 9 12:16:10 2015

This is how worthless feebay's search is. Enter REBUILT TRANSMISSION. Your options are NEW 105, USED 817, NOT SPECIFIED 4.

These incompetent morons STILL don't have a slot for REMANUFACTURED even though it is there when you list the item. Unbelieveable.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jun 9 12:19:39 2015

@Philip

I don't post on seekingalpha, in fact I don't think I've ever seen the site. Heard of it but never went there.

I post here and on Yahoo, Lithium gave me the boot for being PRO eBay ~ LOL

I really miss the eBay boards, I was able to help a lot of people with eBay problems.

#1 solution to a good eBay seller experience.

Always leave a note in the package Thanking your customer and with your contact information (phone number).

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jun 9 12:24:17 2015

@wasteland-mechanic

What kind of transmission?

Your generic search is too broad.

A search for M22 Rock Crusher came back with 30 good results.

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]