Tue June 2 2015 22:43:03

Devin Wenig to Make Changes to eBay Search?

eBay is at its best when we enable small and medium-sized brands and merchants to present unique inventory to shoppers who love to shop, Devin Wenig told Internet Retailer

Wenig heads eBay Marketplaces and will become CEO of eBay after the breakup with PayPal in the third quarter.

"By finding new ways to highlight eBay's unique selection, Wenig aims to turn eBay into a "discovery-based marketplace" where value-oriented shoppers stumble upon and buy items they might not have known about, or thought about buying," Internet Retailer wrote.

Like his predecessor before him, Wenig plans to make big changes when he takes over - including better search and better merchandising.

However, the publication notes there are skeptics, and it writes, "Even if Wenig does breathe new life into a leaner, more appealing eBay, many believe that the endgame might be another company acquiring the online marketplace."

It seems what's old is new again.

Perminate Link for Devin Wenig to Make Changes to eBay Search?   Devin Wenig to Make Changes to eBay Search?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Jun 3 15:18:50 2015

@toolguy - You'll need to give us a hint. I checked Page 1 of Google Shopping and there was nothing uncommon listed there, nor on Google Organic Pages 1 and 2.

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 3 18:14:18 2015

What is it the eBay's execs don't understand about what caused the demise of eBay in the 1st place?
Maybe the quick turnover of personnel obscures the history and clouds the fact that it was the institution of search manipulation with the Best Match algorithm, further exacerbated by the ''fix'' (Cassini), and the idea that eBay (just a venue) should decide who and what is marketed and how, and the short sighted delusion that they had some sort of ''insight'' into what buyers ''want''. These actions alone caused the demise of the marketplace, all the while lining the pockets of eBay execs and robbing shareholders of what should have been a growth rate on par with Amazon.
Only a return to a level playing field with no cherry picking can save the platform. How about that Mr. Wenig?

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 3 20:38:25 2015

I will start to put some weight to Wenig's statements about increasing exposure of small seller's inventory the first time Ebay actually implements a policy that increases exposure of small seller's inventory. Since he became head of the Ebay marketplace it has been one long assault on the small seller community.

by: LinneyPinney This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 4 00:56:55 2015

@toolguy learn about personalized search. You see your stuff at the top of Google search because Google knows that is what you last looked at. If you think that Google is showing your things because they like you and you have great stuff, think again. You are not being shown. It's pay to play.

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 4 07:41:20 2015

@toolguy -- in another post you say you started selling in 2009 and now you're saying you survived under Meg Whitman. She left Ebay in January 2008. Something fishy in toolguy land.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Jun 4 07:47:44 2015

@LinneyPinney

Google Drill Bar Bushing

Click the shopping link

My (3) bushings should be the 1st or 2nd item.

I don't pay Google anything for search or adwords.

But maybe you're right, Google knows who I am and they're playing to me.

But if you see it then my stuff is unusual right?

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 4 09:45:31 2015

Just imagine, the company that virtually invented on-line, person-to-person selling and which held a monopoly on the biz model a mere decade ago, disappearing into the bowels of another company!  Couldn't have happened without The Hoe!

As for the "big changes" needed to rescue this POS from the dustbin of history, just undo EVERYTHING Johnny Hoe has done. For starters, scrap "Cassini" - the POS that The Hoe wasted millions on - and use a simple search that satisfies the user's keywords.  What a concept!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Jun 4 11:57:45 2015

@ GotToGetOut

I never said anything about 2009

You have me mixed up with someone else

My eBay ID's are from Jan. 1998 & June of 2000

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 4 12:50:44 2015

WHY give JD an ebay "golden parachute" if he is just moving over to Paypal???????????

In 2-3 years will JD get ANOTHER multi-million $ parachute????

2 golden parachutes from 1 company, and we get another golden shower.

Mass Howler

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 4 13:17:57 2015

And along with the return to ''non-curated'' site content, how about eliminating the double secret penalties and secret guardrailing of good sellers? I got an email from eBay today with the subject line ''The answer to ''what should I buy?'''', with suggestions for items that I have absolutely no interest. I'm sure that at least some of my own listings lost search placement over this bullshit promotion of items. Ridiculous meddling and destructive to free trade.
How about instead of more manipulation, try testifying to the Justice Department as to the involvement in treasonous actions for personal enrichment by the brothers Donahoe, and the damage they did to the US economy by negotiating reduced shipping rates for the Chinese, Mr Wenig? More tortious interference, and regardless of what the illegal shrinkwrapped user agreement says, eBay is neither above the law, too big to fail, or above financial responsibility for tort.

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 4 13:31:34 2015

I was under the impression that merchandising was by definition performed by merchants who sell merchandise. Those that fail to merchandise properly will ultimately fail. The idea that eBay is going to either "fix" merchandising gone awry or merchandise products themselves is just another example of how out of touch with reality these people are. Every economy in history that included manipulation has failed. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

by: gutspiller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 4 18:21:21 2015

Too little, too late. I used to be one of those sellers selling the rare and unique items Ebay became famous for.

Paid a small (=big) fortune in fees, from day one a near perfect feedback and as a thank your Ebay shut my shop down in favour of my main competitor.

Lost 70% of my business overnight while my competitor was dominating me and all other competitors. 1 seller making up to 65% of all sales in certain categories.

Last years I decided to pull the plug. I now sell through my other website and other venues. The last year I've seen more growht than I've ever seen in all the years on Ebay.

Last month (this time of the year should be slow) I sold +-30% more than I normally do during the holiday season.

The day I will go back will the the day that hell freezes and chicken get teeth.

No matter what the current management says or does I will NEVER EVER trust Ebay aqain.

The day I closed down my Ebay store and Ebay account I called CS. I made them a prediction: there will come a day that Ebay will start phoning their old and good ex-Ebaysellers begging to come back. The path Ebay is now on will lead to complete destruction.

Do you know any Ebayseller - next to toolguy - that has had any positive experience the last few years????????

It's a year without Ebay now. Never ever sell something on it and hardly buy anything on it any more (which usd to be the opposite). And now a year later I'm still fuming. I'm still so f*ck*ng angry at this company with the way they treated me and about every single other seller.

When I closed my store, to make sure I wouldn't change my mind I also closed my seller ID. A +10.000 feedback account with near perfect feedback which took me a few years to build.

Haven't regretted it a second. Only regret 1 thing and that's that I wasn't able to ban Ebay from my life a lot sooner.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jun 4 20:02:35 2015

Ebay is not interested in being #1, usable, or wonderfully profitable for the sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jun 4 20:05:41 2015

BREAKING NEWS : China has committed an act of war by hacking into the US Government data base of over 4 million workers.
Now to purchase China made items for resale here is a traitorous act.
Do NOT sell Chinese items.

by: CaddyShack This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 4 23:36:07 2015

On toolguy surviving, yes we all do have to adapt except that does not always work. I'm a small seller on eBay I use to sell in auctions under vintage because I buy and restore different items plus I do wood work. eBay can't seem to be able to get their stories straight they say one thing and do another, so that leaves the seller trying to figure what the hell is going on. I use to work for the largest retailer in the world at one time which was Safeway stores, know look at them they are only a glimmer of what they use to be. Other companies Sears, Kmart, Wards, a lot of these companies are no longer around they got greedy wanted more instead they have all but closed. eBay is no different as other sellers stated the sellers are the customers, we pay their bills not the people buying. So if you have no sellers or not enough sellers than they don't have enough money to pay their bills so in return bye bye eBay. So no one should ever think that their company is to good or big to fail. ebay needs to work with their sellers find out what we have to go through. As this goes both ways, I'd like to see eBay stick around but they are making that hard.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jun 5 09:40:28 2015

@CaddyShack

Think of Ebay as the mall.

Safeway, Sears & Kmart are all tenants. If Sears moves or closes the mall gets a new tenant (seller).

The eBay Mall looks full to me.

There's more then enough sellers and in fact I think there's still too many.

Back in 2000 I was maybe 1 of 50 Aircraft Tools Sellers on eBay. Today there's at least 500 of us.

This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Fri Jun 5 11:44:37 2015

What DEVIL WENIG is truly describing is that he is setting up the new owners own search engine program for ebay whence the sale of ebay is transferred to the new owners of ebay.

Hence Devil Wenig's prophetic vision coming to pass of the "RECONNECT WITH SELLERS" comment.

New owners search engine ='s a reconnect with sellers because we will be unshackled from our current oppressors program.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 5 21:24:11 2015

at this stage of the game - what with google eliminating ebay in search - lack of buyers - lack of sellers - pretty sure he's going to be breathing air into a corpse

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sat Jun 6 11:43:03 2015

I almost always filter searches.  One fairly consistent filter I use is for ''used''  - it amazes me that sometimes a significant number of sellers do not fill out the ''new'' or ''used'' condition specifics.

The results come - and the left column will show a number for ''new'', a number for ''used'' and a number for ''not specified''.

I usually have already filtered for North America.  After that, if I choose only ''used'' I am NOT seeing what is ''not specified''.

The same would go for someone that filters for ''new''.

Sometimes it is a HUGE number that have not completed condition specifics.  Maybe there are reasons to not check that field, but depending on my frame of mind when searching  I am likely to skip the ''unspecified'' results and they go unseen.

Today alone I bypassed well over 1K items that showed up as ''unspecified'' items in North America.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since we are talking about search.  BTW - I thought that field was supposed to be mandatory, but I may be mistaken.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Jun 6 12:32:07 2015

@Basset

I just relisted an item

Here are the choices I was given:

New
New other (see details)
Manufacture refurbished
Seller refurbished
Used
For part or not working

"not specified" was not a choice, it must be a mobile thing!

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]