Mon Mar 30 2015 22:08:45

Shocking Photos Show USPS Mail Neglect

USPS processing facilities were found to be sending "live mail" to a Dallas Service Center in what were supposed to be empty containers and sacks, according to an OIG report.

The apparent carelessness caused delays in mail delivery, including Priority Mail and Express packages.

The problem was discovered during a November audit of an MTE Service Center in Dallas serving the entire Southern Area. "The majority of the mail found was over 1 week old, although, there were some mailpieces that were much older including one international mailpiece with a postmark of February 2014," the report from the Office of Inspector stated.

In the 5-day period, the OIG found 10 Express mailpieces, 69 Priority mailpieces, 2,783 First-Class Mailpieces, and 118 international mailpieces that were improperly sent in "Mail Transport Equipment" to the Dallas MTESC. And that doesn't count package services and standard post pieces found in hampers.

Not only were delays an issue, the OIG found damaged items as well.

An article in Tuesday's EcommerceBytes Newsflash explains more about the processing centers found to be sending containers and sacks.

Update 3/31/15: A spokesperson for the USPS Southern Area provided a response to our inquiry about the OIG audit report, see the Newsflash story referenced above for an update.

Perminate Link for Shocking Photos Show USPS Mail Neglect   Shocking Photos Show USPS Mail Neglect

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 10:56:57 2015

Not shocking at all. I have had 4 packages this year, sent threw their meat grinder.

I receive damage mail occasionally.
I don't really trust them anymore. The insurance you can purchase is useless. For the most part , they get it there.

Whomever the boss is , would be the issue. You need good leadership , to receive good service.

Have you ever seen them unload packages from an airship? Its a very violent process for the packages.

Conveyors are also very violent for the packages. High speed Baby.

Its shocking to me , any package makes it. Very insane high speed process , unless they are stuck in limbo. This falls on leadership.

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 11:07:54 2015

As if this isn't bad enough, but eBay blames the sellers for this poor performance, which could lead to some sellers being terminated from selling on eBay, when they have done nothing wrong. So terribly unfair.

This is horrible on many levels. The Post Office Management needs to become much more strict with their employees. The Post Office reputation is determined by such egregious service.

Another area that needs to be looked into is the Tampa Florida area. There are 2-3 day delays in that area compared to other areas of the country. I am told they have contract employees there. Don't know if that is true or is part of the problem.

Post Office charges are so high now, they ought to be able to move mail correctly. They are always whining. How about taking care of business instead of whining.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 11:10:57 2015

Oh the horrors of it all.  I always thought that Fleecebay was delivering the mail....After all they know when its going to be delivered....

by: TeddyElectron This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 11:38:15 2015

eBay says I am a defective seller and that shipping delays are all my fault. I apologize to all of you.

by: serioussellers This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 11:58:44 2015

Priority deliveries between the east coast and both Dallas & Houston (& vice versa) have often been taking up to two weeks (& usually with virtually no scans between the start & finish of the inexcusably long trips).

Some buyers in those areas have even informed/warned us of the sorting centers' mishandling & destruction of many delayed packages -- so they request that we pack with probable USPS destruction in mind (which we actually always do).

One Priority package we recently received from Dallas was handled as though it was on a Parcel Select super slow schedule -- & it was obviously repeatedly ''tortured''/destroyed during its very long trip.

So many of our eBay packages that should have a quick 1 day Priority trip (or an overnight Express trip) to a nearby state instead go on bizarre trips/vacations around the country.  Those ''vacations''  have sometimes lasted for weeks -- & the scans (when there are scans) often indicate that the packages have made multiple trips around the entire USA!

It is so bad (and involves many post office facilities throughout the entire country) that we now often give each customer an amusing heads up about our eBay packages' recent vacation trips around the country (courtesy of the USPS).  So even though their Priority packages are supposed to arrive in a day or two, we inform them that the USPS might be sending their packages on detours/trips to places of its own choosing. Reasonable pre-warned eBay customers are less likely to retaliate with negative feedback after getting our advance warning about recent USPS screwups.

It no longer is uncommon to get First Class mail with USPS postmarks from a month before the delivery date.  The First Class mail must be enjoying the same wonderful & rejuvenating vacations that much of the Priority and Express mail gets to enjoy.

Maybe the inspectors can provide more photos from around the country to show all sellers & buyers where our MIA and very delayed packages have been hanging out and resting/relaxing/recuperating during their long and arduous trips.

by: Kip This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 12:04:44 2015

I'm about 30 miles from San Francisco. In the past I've only had problems with the media mail and parcel post packages going through the Bell Gardens facility in So Cal. But the SF facility has been slow lately. Mail seems to sit there before going out.

Just checked a priority package mailed 3/28. Got from my PO to SF that same day. It just left SF this morning.

All of a sudden packages are being misrouted and being held.

by: Jerseygal This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 12:31:41 2015

Looking at those pictures... We must be living in Mexico.  My customers in Mexico pay large shipping costs of FedEx so their packages will not be stolen by their postal workers.  Is this where we are headed?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ihatethebay

Tue Mar 31 12:50:57 2015

I worked for twelve years (2000-2012) at the USPS Processing and Distribution Center in Santa Barbara, CA and never saw anything near this bad.

My guess is that with the closure of so many processing plants and forced retirements of so many employees, not to mention the usual Peter Principle, quality has suffered.

In my thirteen years of selling I've only had one package go missing and that was in France, of all places.

One time I had a parcel scanned as ''delivered'' when they meant to hit the ''accepted'' button. My dumbass customer in Iowa (that's an acronym for ''idiots out walking among us'') emailed me in a panic, claiming that I'd delivered it to the wrong person. Never mind that all this happened in less than a day!!

The a$$wipe (bellagene) IMMEDIATELY filed a PP claim who in turn IMMEDIATELY refunded Gene's money without even consulting with me.

That was the straw that broke this camel's back and made me take more stringent measures to protect myself from bozos like Gene and John Donahoe.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 12:52:34 2015

Jacksparrow always has nice productive advice for everyone.
MH

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 12:53:13 2015

I was stunned by that one photo in particular showing a passport peeking out of a Priority Mail envelope. (That is, IIRC, how passports are routinely sent to their recipients.)

What I find amazing is that it must have been viewed by multiple employees in that condition, and it did not occur to any of them -- not a SINGLE ONE -- that that's a REALLY IMPORTANT piece of mail, and maybe they should just slap a piece of tape on the flap to close it up again, and send it on its way. Why not? Heck, they could throw it in the nearest mailbox, if they weren't actually a mail-handling facility.

I mean, seriously: it should be possible to figure out exactly who, by name, must have encountered that envelope, and move those brain-dead people to another area of work. Instead I get the impression that the inspectors took a few pictures, fluttered their hands in horror, and then went on to something else. It's also interesting that the photos were done months ago and only recently surfaced. What did they do: mail them in? 8-)

by: GoingBroke This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 13:01:03 2015

I just had 36 orders that sat in St. Paul for 5 days. Some were even Priority Mail. This really effects rating on such venues as Amazon and Ebay. We have been having problems for about a year with numerous items either held like this or sent states away from the delivery address. How can we report a sorting facility.

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 14:49:14 2015

I know a lot of people complain about the USPS but I have never been one to do so. Over the last four years I have mailed roughly 10,000 domestic packages via USPS and only had three lost or damaged.

My experience is that in the big picture the USPS functions amazingly well and at very affordable prices. In running my business I have had a ton of problems with incompetence at AT&T, Ebay and Amazon. I wish those companies were half as reliable and professional as the post office.

This user has validated their user name. by: TheUglySweaterShop

Tue Mar 31 15:05:41 2015

This does not surprise me at all, as I ship out of the Dallas area daily. I have had numerous instances of USPS scanning in a package for acceptance and then nothing for a week, with a scan saying it is leaving the Coppell processing center 7-10 days later. Most recently last week. So this issue has not been addressed, as they claim. It is ongoing.

December 2013 I dropped 83 Priority Mail packages off one day at the Dallas main post office and tracking shows they sat there for a week from the date of the acceptance scan via the SCAN form.  There was no inclement weather at that time.

I ship most of my packages via the DFW airport post office now. They hustle.

by: lilshortlady This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 19:21:56 2015

I am an eBay seller, but I am also a Postal Worker. This photos literally make me sick to my stomach. I work in a small town post office on the 'front line', where I work very hard to give my customers the best service possible. Only to have to look them in the face and try to explain why their package that I shipped for them still hasn't arrived. It's crap like this. Deadbeat lowlifes that don't deserve a job, not doing the job they were hired to do. Management is only worried about ''scores'' like this is some kind of game. They turn a blind eye to where the real problems lie. I actually cringe when I know an important personal package has to process through North Houston. This is just sad.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 19:27:43 2015

@IDKwhoIare
I had same type of experience. Back when I was selling on eBay, as soon as I started to cut off the eBay brand from the label, my problem rate went to near zero.

On the whole the USPS is very top heavy with overpaid, and often arrogant middle managers -- my experience anyway.

Also they USPS has a continuing overhanging pension requirements that appear to be impossible for them to overcome with current operations funding. It probably is not going to get better.

by: bilbow This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 19:36:06 2015

loose medication happens when customers don't package things well
also since everyone is trying to force fss down everybody's throught so things that should not be going through fss or dps are and they are getting destroyrd, blame the bonus hungry upper management for that

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Wed Apr 1 11:35:22 2015

I fell sorry for the person who paid a premium for an expedited passport.

by: Santini This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 1 17:13:36 2015

If only ebay mismanagement could be so graphically represented!

by: mikee2326 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 1 18:51:07 2015

The postal service has destroyed there large network of sorting facilities. Parcel volume is through the roof yet the number of employees has been drastically cut.  I work in a major processing plant were there were four workers there is now two with twice the work load. Employee moral has never been lower they have tried hiring some new workers but the new employee retention rate is only two out of ten. New hires are expected too work seven days a week and up to twelve hours every day a completely unrealistic expectation. For the 15.00 dollars an hour most dont make it past two weeks. Its a shame because many of us try our hardest but get now support from our bosses. Good luck with your shipping try to get your customers to expect slower deliveries or maybe go with the more expensive option Fed ex or ups.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 1 19:14:30 2015