Thu Oct 29 2015 22:40:09

eBay and PayPal Both Experience Outage Thursday Evening

eBay users have been unable to access the site beginning at about 10 pm ET. Users are emailing EcommerceBytes and a report came in on Ecommerce EKG

PayPal is also down.

Sites like Down Detector and IsItDownRightNow are also showing problems, filling up with reports from users.

The problems began about 3 hours before eBay's weekly scheduled maintenance was scheduled begin.

We'll continue to update as we learn more, and please let us know what you're experiencing.

Update: The AskPayPal Twitter account has begun responding to some tweets about the outage, "Thank you for reaching out. We do apologize, please know we are activity working to resolve the issue."

Update: Shortly after 11 pm ET, PayPal posted an acknowledgement on Facebook:

PayPal Hello everyone - Thank you all for contacting us here. We're aware of the known issue with the site and our team is working on resolving the issue as soon as possible. We do apologize for any inconvenience and frustrations.

So far, no sign of an eBay response anyplace, including Facebook.

Update: eBay acknowledged a problem on the Systems Announcement board at midnight ET:

Some users are currently experiencing intermittent problems with various activities
October 29, 2015  09:03PM PST/PT
We are aware that some users are currently experiencing intermittent problems with various activities including checkout on site. Our teams are working to address these issues. Our highest priority is our members' trading success. We apologize for any inconvenience this interruption causes. We will share additional information with our community as it becomes available.
Regards,
eBay

Update: eBay updated its post an hour later (rendering the former URL invalid) here:
October 29, 2015  09:51PM PST/PT
The recent technical issue that we experienced has been investigated and resolved as of 8:54 pm PT. We’re sorry for the inconvenience and we appreciate the patience of those users that were impacted.
Regards,
eBay

Notice there's nothing about what actions eBay will take in light of the impact on sellers - particularly for sellers whose auctions ended during the outage and didn't receive last minute bids.

Update: PayPal tweeted at 1 am ET: "This interruption was caused by a data center power outage, which we addressed. We apologize for any inconvenience."

New York Daily News wrote about the PayPal outage, but failed to mention the eBay outage.

Update: See Friday's EcommerceBytes Blog post to see how eBay is promising to protect sellers impacted by Thursday's power outage at its data center.

Perminate Link for eBay and PayPal Both Experience Outage Thursday Evening   eBay and PayPal Both Experience Outage Thursday Evening

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 31 08:15:59 2015

@drumguy,

Those protective layers are exactly what you would expect from a responsible company led by competent management.

I think we all know by now that none of the above applies to eBay.

I think it entirely possible that eBay is so poorly managed, everything of a technical nature done as cheaply as humanly possible, that as a company they simply decided to cut corners again and actually did not have any usable backup options for something as predictable and inevitable as a power outage.

It would be hard to lose if you bet against eBay management doing anything right, even in matters where the corporation suffers as much as the users when things go wrong.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Oct 31 11:21:14 2015

From what I can see the outage had NO affect on my eBay sales.

It's business as usual. . .

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 31 16:39:42 2015

Toolguy didn't notice anything. All is well.

by: tango This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 31 19:30:39 2015

here here for tool guy!!  good for you -  Automotive Parts & Accessories still has issues - while Ebay is telling us you must load UPC codes if you can -  they now are unable to allow buyers to find parts by Manufacturer Part Number - a must in Item specifics - all queries go to ''item removed/no longer available'' while 30 sellers have it - no one sells anything.  This has been going on for 2 weeks now, but Ebay has it at Priority 3 hahaha - This is a real issue for many sellers, not just us.  Buyers must be able to find item by Manufacturer Part Number -  Get it fixed or we will all go elsewhere, this is your biggest part of the bus and fastest growing - it matters.

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 1 16:46:13 2015

rofl@Bloggo!

by: margo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 03:09:06 2015

I bought something with my ebay bucks and it never showed up in my ebay account that I bought it but it showed up it was paid for in Paypal. I contacted the seller and they said they had not received a payment. So I contacted paypal and they said the seller had not been paid. So then I contacted ebay again because I was concerned about my ebay bucks. They told me the site was having  some issues and they would investigate it. I got a email from them issuing me another ebay bucks certificate. In the meantime the seller emails me and said they were just paid. So I call ebay back and tell them and they said they cannot take back the certificate so just accept it as a gift. Well the seller emails me again and said the money was taken out of his account and refunded back to me. So I am calling ebay again to find out what to do and they told me to buy the product again so he will get his money. With ebay on the phone I try to buy again and a message came up that there was a problem . I am using google chrome so ebay tells me to use internet explorer and when I tried that it kept saying ebay not responding but I was able to get on other sites just fine. Finally they tell me to use my phone to buy the item and that is what I did. I contacted the seller and they said this time the transaction showed up in their ebay account and they were paid and the transaction also showed up in my ebay account so hopefully all is good and I ended up with a free ebay bucks certificate. But after all the trouble and time I was on the phone with ebay and paypal plus corresponding with the seller I just dont know if I will buy on ebay again. This has been one big headache.

1 2